nausea three days post op

sharps1203
on 1/27/11 10:10 am - FL
I just wanted to ask if nausea three days post op is normal? Had my lap band placed on 1/24/11 and was fine that day and the following, but on the 1/26/11 I started feeling swoops of nausea. Even when I  breathe in deep, I will get a sensation of nausea.I have been up and moving, not just laying around. Since I am not really eating thing, just doing the liquid diet, I am not sure if this is normal. Also from the time I woke up from surgery, I had this sharp pain in my neck, I have always had neck problems so just figured it was from being on the table. I just want to know if anyone else has experienced this and if it is normal? I thought I would be feeling better by now. I called the Dr and they did prescribe some phenergan for the nausea but just wondering if this should be happening? Also.. I should mention I was recently diagnosed with MS so I am concerned that the MS may make this harder for me since the anethesiologist told me right before I went in for the surgery that sometimes going under can make MS worse and throw you into a flare up. That is part of the reason I wanted this surgery so badly to help shed the weight to help with my medical issues and so I can build my muscle tone up not knowing my future with the MS. Any advise anyone can give would be helpful. What is odd, I feel a little better while eating, but deep breathing, just waking, getting up and walking around, seems to make me nauseated.Oh and my band has a little saline in it, but the first fill will not be till 6 weeks post op. So should not be due to a over fill. Please help!! Post op appt 2/8/11 if I make it that long.
(deactivated member)
on 1/27/11 10:35 am - Des Moines, IA
So has the Phenergan helped?  If not call the surgeon back and ask for something else.  Do you have some liquid pain meds to take to help with the pain in your neck?  I had Zofran for nausea that I took for a few days after surgery.  Are you getting enough fluids in?  Being dehydrated can make you feel nauseated.  I hope you get to feeling better soon!
NCB1997
on 1/27/11 11:51 am
Hello, I was in the hospital 3 days because of nausea. Mine was because of anesthetic and pain meds. I was fortunate to get anti-nausea meds in my iv and 1 for the ride home. Once I was home had a little nausea a couple dry heaves. After about a week the nausea was gone. I have sleep apnea, and my neck was sore after surgery, I was told it was the way they positioned it for the airway, since I have a very small airway. Everything is good now, except for a nasty sinus infection!
Hope you feel better soon!
Nancy B.    
airhead_74
on 1/27/11 12:00 pm
DS on 08/20/12
My surgery was 1/10/11 and my nausea didn't go away until a few days ago. I was given a medicated patch to wear behind my ear. It did help but I am so glad my nausea finally went away. Hope yours goes away soon.

Lap Band with Greater Curvature Plication 1/10/11, Conversion to DS 8/20/12 

reneekennedy11
on 1/27/11 12:55 pm - CA
My surgery was 1-21-11 and Im still nauseous! It stinks!
sharps1203
on 1/31/11 1:35 pm - FL

Thank you all for your responses, yes, the phenergan did actually help. But luckily I only needed it for like two days.. By 1/29 /11 the nausea finally subsided. I am actually doing well and so far have lost 7 pounds. Guess that would be from not eating and being on liquid diet for a week. LoL but yes, I am staying hydrated. Guess it just took a few days to get the anesthesia out my system and me to get use to the new me. So far so good. Still having the shoulder/neck pain. But I can live with it. Will tell my surgeon when I see him. Thanks again for all the support.

Most Active