Left shoulder pain- causes? remedies?

becj
on 1/26/11 4:00 am - RI
I had lapband one week ago yesterday.  I keep having pain in my left shoulder.  Initially it seemed to be gas pains and other times I thought maybe an indicator of eating too much but now even after eating a 1/4 cup of food I'm getting it sometimes much later after eating sometimes right away.  I don't feel gasy otherwise. 
Anybody else have this? what causes it? What helps?

Thanks!
Kate -True Brit
on 1/26/11 4:04 am - UK

Your new small stomach and the post-op swelling are pressing against the diaphragm. The nerve system which serves that passes through the left shoulder. So the pain you are feeling is referred pain, caused by gas and swelling above the band.

OTC gas meds should help a bit, as should lots of walking and stretching. Try a soothing heat pad on the shoulder.

kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

L B.
on 1/26/11 4:07 am
I thought it was gas, interesting thats its gas pressing pn a nerve! Geesh!
~Lilly                
aliciahegeman
on 1/26/11 4:12 am - Highland, NY
I like the gas x strips...q heating pad helped too....your lucky ..i wasnt on mushies for 3 weeks after surgery...first week was clear fluids then 2 weeks of protein shakes then mushies and shakes for another week ....be careful ...your still recovering ...congrats on the band !

Wendybrum
on 1/26/11 6:57 am - Oceanside, NY
 Wait it out it goes away. Very paiful at times but it will subside.
wendy

becj
on 1/26/11 7:32 am - RI
Thank you very much for the feedback!  The suggestions should help.  Also I'm glad for the explanation, it always makes it easier for me if I understand the why behind it.
2babutterfly
on 1/26/11 9:50 am
i still get it occasionally....i just take a gas x and it usually goes away pretty quick.
:0)
jennifer

(deactivated member)
on 1/26/11 11:51 am
If it gets too bad you can use a muscle rub at night. Initially I had it for about two weeks post surgery.

Noel
WASaBubbleButt
on 1/26/11 11:59 am - Mexico
Left shoulder pain is really referred pain. When they do surgery they fill your abdomen with CO2. That pushes on your diaphragm and it irritates a nerve. It's actually a nerve in your diaphragm that causes referred pain in your left shoulder.

Lots of walking, rocking in a rocking chair, heating pads... all help.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Most Active