Well bust my bubble

Huggles13151
on 1/25/11 9:38 pm - Northwood, OH
I had a similar problem. At my initial meeting with my surgeon he asked a few medical questions and said he thought I'd do best with the bypass. I asked if I could change my mind later and he said yes. Where I went had to be a Medicare Center of Excellence and my insurance only covered the band and the bypass. Did the whole nine yards of testing,support mtgs. etc and haunted the band and bypass sites gathering info. I made my decision and told the office ppl I decided on the band. Well there was a mixup and nobody changed it on my chart and with my insurance. I went to my pre-op meeting with my surgeon and he was not happy to find I had decided on the band. I explained my reasons and ended up feeling he disregarded them as immaterial or uninformed. His main issues were my age, bmi, amount of weight I needed to lose and the speed of weight loss. He made me promise to rethink my decision. I was in tears over the whole thing. I had valid reasons for choosing the band. I live alone so the quicker recovery, less complications, shorter surgery time and less invasiveness and ease of reversal in the event of a problem all entered into it.  Also a big factor was that it's adjustable. I know several bypass ppl who gained all their weight back. How? They ate more than they should because they could. I didn't gain all my weight overnight so loosing it all really quick is not a big deal. I figure any weight I lose is a health benefit even if it's a little slower. I refused to be presured into something I didn't want so I stuck to my decision. I was banded Jan 10th and I'm doing great so far and the wonderful part is I'm not hungry. I'm hoping that lasts. The bottom line is all the surgeries are TOOLS not magic wands. If you aren't willing to follow the guidelines you won't suceed with any of the surgeries. Hope this helps. All I can say is do what YOU feel comfortable with not what someone else says you should do. Research it all.

grumpyswife19
on 1/25/11 9:57 pm - LA
Huggles,

did you stay with the same surgeon?  If you did was he supportive after you decided on the band and encouraging
Huggles13151
on 1/25/11 10:22 pm - Northwood, OH
At my pre-op appt. when he told me to think some more about my decision he said if I decided on the band he would be behind me 100%. I couldn't change surgeons because of the Center of Excellence thing and there really wasn't anyone else unless I wanted to go to the Cleve. Clinic which is 3 hrs away versus 1/2 hr away. I have my post -op appt. this afternoon so I will let you know how it goes support wise.

Huggles13151
on 1/26/11 8:07 am - Northwood, OH
Had my post-op appt. and was really pleased with the level of support I got from my surgeon today. He seemed pleased with my progress thus far. So yes I think this is going to work out fine. That's not to say he won't chew me out if I start slacking off or screwing up and I don't expect him to let me slide. His job and mine is to keep me on track. Hope this helps you out but as I said you need to do what you feel comfortable with.

rere49
on 1/26/11 2:42 am
VSG on 05/15/08 with
On January 26, 2011 at 5:03 AM Pacific Time, grumpyswife19 wrote:
I love this forum.  I also agree that each of the procedures has its problems.  I dont really care if I lose quickly, I just want to lose and maintain.  I'm concerned because I have read and personally seen people regain with gastric bypass and the sleeve and also the band, the difference is the band can be adjusted.  Pretty sure I'm going with the band.  I just have to make sure I get the proper support at my surgeons office.
Hi Grumpy,
I am an ex-band patient. I lost 151 pounds in 10 months, I was in heaven!!!  Then I went in for a fill at 18 months, and the band had slipped and eroded. The local surgeons would not touch me, so I had to go back to Mexico to have it removed. It was horrible!! It took 6 hours for them to remove and clean up the mess the band had made. I had to wait for a year to be sleeved. This was the best surgery I have ever had. The band was very picky. I vomited alot, I wouldn't go out to eat with family or friends because I know I would just barf it up.  Once I had the sleeve done, it was like being normal, I just don't hold a lot of food!!  Just 30 pounds to go. mI have never lost this amount of weight in my life. If you have any more questions, just PM me and I will be glad to help. Please, Please go sleeve. It is cheaper in the long run. Band cost me $8500.00, fills anout $8000.00, and another $8000.00 to remove. Sleeve $5200.00 for a great surgeon. You are done!!!
WASaBubbleButt
on 1/25/11 11:39 pm - Mexico
Misty needs to tell her sleeved friends to find a better doctor. Clearly, the one they have now sucks big time. Their experiences are not typical AT ALL of most sleeved people. But then, she's doing her best to push the band and to be honest, I don't believe a word of what she is saying about these supposed sleeved people.

Long term, bands do not do well. The complications, the maintenance, the slips, erosions... it's a crap shoot. Allergan makes it sound like less invasive is safer. That is all advertising and gimmicks, not reality. Sleeves have superior weight loss and it is the safest surgery long term.

Banded people HAVE to chase down a sweet spot, it's not an advantage, it's a disadvantage. Sleeved people come out of surgery already at their sweet spot.

Read the band board, read the sleeve board. Band boards are all about not losing weight, no restriction, too much restriction, slips, erosion, band intolerance, unable to find a sweet spot, infections, port leaks, tubing leaks, band leaks, vomiting, foaming like a rabid dog, 2nd and 3rd surgeries, the list is endless. Then read the sleeve boards, mostly happy people.

Sleeved people come out of surgery at their sweet spot, no maintenance, no fills, no chasing down a sweet spot.

According to the band maker 25% of people need to have their band removed in the first 5 years, another 25% need a 2nd surgery to fix a mechanical problem - again, in the first 5 years. Does that sound least invasive to you?

Keep in mind, many ins co's are changing their policies to a 'one WLS in a lifetime' so when you need to revise your odds are that you will be self pay.

This is not a decision to be made lightly.

Bypass is a horror procedure. It has almost as high of a failure rate as banding does. But make no mistake, statistically speaking banding has a higher failure rate than bypass does.

Also, keep in mind that revision surgery is dangerous. Your risks for leaks, perforations, and bleeding is 3x that of a virgin stomach. It's also painful and expensive.

Just hang out on the sleeve boards and learn about the procedure. At least go into banding knowing all your options and why you are choosing one over the other.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
WASaBubbleButt
on 1/25/11 11:44 pm - Mexico
BTW, the plication procedure is a horror, it's like a fake sleeve. The risks are great in number, the sutures don't hold, and blood supply can be blocked off allowing the stomach tissue to die off. Here is an example:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4308190/Unexpected-Complication-from-Vertical-Sleeve-Plication/

Read the Failed WLS forum, two more are posting and with the plication it's not really reversible, not safely anyway. About the only revision option is DS and let's face it, most of us don't want malabsorption and that is why we get bands or sleeves.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
steelerfan1
on 1/25/11 11:56 pm
Grumpy,

I love my band but I'm only two months out though and I got restriction the day they put the band in me , I have not even had a fill yet my band is empty so I'm one of the very lucky ones that don't have to fight with fills and unfills yet .

You need to do what is best for you , the only word of advice I will give you is make sure you feel 110% comfortable with your doctor.  He will become your best friend after surgery and you need to have a doc that believes in the band and in you that is sooo important for your after care.

My doc does only labpand that is his specialty and that is why I went with him , he knows his stuff and he isn't a aggressive doctor when it comes to fills and I like that also .

He did talk to me about all the other surgerys  out there informed me about the pros and cons of each surgery before he would take me on and I liked that also.  He didnt push the lapband on to me .

Just make sure your comfortable with your doc

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

pam57
on 1/26/11 12:05 am - Murrieta, CA
REALIZE Band on 12/20/10 with
 Before my lapband I did a lot of soul searching about my habits and weaknesses.  My first surgeon told me that she did not think I would be successful with the band so I had a royal snit fit and switched to a new bariatric group.  I spent an enormous time lurking on OH reading about everyone's trials and tribulations and researching both the band and the sleeve.  I eventually ended up with the lapband but  truthfully I wanted the sleeve.  Unfortunately, for health reasons I was unable to have the sleeve (I barely was able to get the lap band).  I think that it is important to do the research.  Both surgeries can be successful but you have to put in the effort.  Neither surgery is a slam dunk.    I am determined to make this band work for me, but I suggest you do the research too, read about each surgery, everyone is different and only you know what will work for you.

Pam

Most Active