Questions for those who are maintaining

Thundergrrrl
on 1/26/11 2:57 am
What is your maintenance diet like compared to when you were losing weight? 

Do you count calories or points and if so, do you get more now than when you were actively losing? If so, how much more per day?

Did you get your band loosened to allow you to eat more since you were no longer trying to lose? 

Anything else you want to share? 

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

(deactivated member)
on 1/26/11 3:11 am
Kate -True Brit
on 1/26/11 4:08 am - UK

I don't count anything - but then I never really did while losing! I just try to eat sensibly.

In reality, I tend to do what all my (slim) friends do. that is, I eat fairly well, then I eat not too well, then I realise I have gained a few pounds so I lose them again!

And I would never dream of getting my band loosened! For me that woudl be disaster!

Works for me!  Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

(deactivated member)
on 1/26/11 4:42 am - Minneapolis, MN
VSG on 10/23/12
What is your maintenance diet like compared to when you were losing weight?
-Basically the same.

Do you count calories or points and if so, do you get more now than when you were actively losing? If so, how much more per day?
-Nope. I've never, never counted calories or "dieted" so to speak with this band. My clinic always said eat until your satisfied and don't count calories. So I haven't and don't want to. I probably do get more calories per day than I did during my weight loss phase, but in all reality, it's probably about the same amount of calories, now just coming from different sources. (I don't diet- I eat everything in moderation.)

Did you get your band loosened to allow you to eat more since you were no longer trying to lose?
-No, I didn't get it loosened, but I haven't had a fill since October 2009 (my band is at 8.1mL out of 10mL). I wanted it kept it at a level where I can tolerate bread, rice, pasta and carbonated beverages if I so choose.

Good luck!
bubblesrn
on 1/26/11 9:45 pm
I've been on maintenance for about a year and still find myself 10 pounds below my doctor's goal weight, I'm at my personal goal weight.  I think the key to it is never deviating from what you learned while losing the weight.  If you get off what you've learned, then it's simply a diet.  This lap band of mine gave me the TOOL to give me the lifestyle change that I needed in order to live healthier and live a better life. 
My surgeon did give me a 1 cc unfill about 6 months ago, he's also so concerned for me (I see him everyday, I am a nurse on the bariatric unit of the hospital he works at and he also got me my current job as a bariatric surgery coordinator!) so now I am left to keep on making the smarter choices, but now it's second nature to me.

I don't count calories, because by now, I just know what is basically good for me and what I should avoid... but I do indulge once in a blue moon but not in the quantities that I used to have prior to surgery.

Hope that helps

Take care,
Jan

all the weight has been lost post-op..I LOVE MY BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

highest weight: 333 pounds (I know I gained after my last "weigh in" in the doctors office so probably it's more like 340 pounds)
current weight: 151 pounds (7/12/11)
I've been at goal (165 pounds) for 6 months now and now on maintence.  I tend to go up and down depending on time of the month and such! 

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/26/11 11:44 pm - Mexico
I don't even count calories. I don't count protein anymore either, I have been doing it for so long I can eyeball food and know if I am getting enough protein.

My maintenance plan has worked well for over 3 years, I just avoid flour and sugar. I'm not a fan of potatoes or rice or I'd be watching that as well.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Most Active