Protein, Protein, Protein!

SpyCbyN8re
on 1/24/11 10:12 am - Lehigh Acres, FL
Hi all! I haven't had my surgery yet ... I have another 4 months to go but I'm trying to get a start on the lifestyle I'm signing up for.  I'm excited!!

I'm adopting a walking routine which I've been doing for the last few weeks, and I'm starting to lose a little weight! I'm hoping to lose 30lbs (50 would be soooo ideal) before my surgery date but I'm hoping to find some people out there to help me with protein shakes. If you have a protein shake you've found that you REALLY enjoy... let me know! I'm looking for something not grainy... that's my main issue... I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to choke it down after surgery so I'm trying to figure this out PRIOR to surgery.  Anyone have ideas??

Thanks!

Ginger

Wendybrum
on 1/24/11 10:20 am - Oceanside, NY
 I like the EAS whey chocloate. I mix it with yourget and peanut flour and ice. Packs a lot of protein. 
wendy

airhead_74
on 1/24/11 10:26 am
DS on 08/20/12
I like SF Carnation Instant Breakfast. I tried other brands, pre-mixed ones. Carnation is the only one I like. 12 packets for $5. Just mix with skim milk.

Lap Band with Greater Curvature Plication 1/10/11, Conversion to DS 8/20/12 

Cameo S.
on 1/24/11 10:44 am, edited 1/24/11 10:45 am
Protein is helpful for weight loss but can be counter productive if you couple it with carbs.  Go with an Atkins or EAS low carb shakes that are pre-made because they aren't grainy and only has 2 or 3 carbs.  DON'T  add peanut butter, etc; that's how we get fat in the first place... beside the two that I mentioned are both good; similar to a Yoohoo.  Remember, 1 cup of skim milk has 12 carbs plus the powder will have carbs too.   
Good Luck!!
-Mari-
on 1/24/11 10:49 am
I LOVE Unjury choc, but the EAS low carb is good, too. GNC sells Isopure which is like a Gatorade type of drink. Try to get sample packages if you can to try, first. Good luck on your WLS!!
 Mari  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
teresa_12
on 1/24/11 10:52 am
hi ginger....i am only 4 weeks post procedure but the two shakes that i found that are ready made and pretty good are premier nutrition protein from costco...30g protein/5g carbs/1g sugar. the second one is lean shake...25g protein/6g carbs/2g sugar. i showed them both to my surgeon and he said either was ok. hope this was helpful and goo luck to you!!!

The beginning of a new year....the beginning of a new me!
(deactivated member)
on 1/24/11 12:20 pm - Des Moines, IA
I got really sick of SWEET milk shakes.  I used Unjury and Muscle Max.  At first they were okay, but I got to a point where I hated them and found Zero Carb Isopure.  It comes in a 20 oz glass bottle and has 40 grams of protein.  The hospital where I had surgery used this drink.  It is similar to a not so sweet Kool aid drink.  I drank the Grape Frost.  I bought it at GNC and on Amazon.com. 

Good luck with your surgery!
Kristi
Lisaizme
on 1/24/11 8:00 pm - TX
I like Syntrax Nectar.  It comes in many fruity flavors and also in some desserty ones.  The fruit flavors generally have 90 calories, 0 sugars, 0 carbs and 23 grams of protein.

I'm told that our bodies can't handle more than 20 to 25 grams of carbs at one time, so if you want to use a drink that has more than that, you need to cut it in half.  Otherwise it's just going to waste.  Literally.

I mix my syntrax with crystal lite or powerade zero or coffee .. depending on what seems appropriate for the flavor I'm drinking.

You can contact the syntrax company at www.si03.com and ask about samples.  Last time I did they had a special where you could get 14 packets of each of their different flavors for $14.00.. not as good as free, but not a bad deal at all.

If you find you like syntrax, I order mine through www.netrition.com   Netrition is great for ordering all kinds of stuff.. they have flatrate shipping o**** for 1 item or 100 items.  I go in with friends and split the shipping.

Hope this helps.
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

PaintingChef
on 1/24/11 9:40 pm - TN
You asked one of those questions where you are going to get a TON of different answers...

I used a protein shake from GNC.  It's called GNC Pro Performance AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60.  (Phew... what a mouthful).  I tried the chocolate and the strawberry and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the chocolate.  The directions say to mix it with water but I mix it with skim milk. 

You can mix it with up to 3 scoops of powder per serving.  If you use all 3 scoops its 60 g of protein and only 7 carbs.  I was only using 2 scoops at a time though.  I really love that one because it packs so much protein into one serving and so if I had 3 of those in a day, I was way over my 100 g of protein for pre-op. 

I can't use it yet post-op because I can't have any milk yet but I'm looking forward to having it again.  It really does taste just like a chocolate milkshake.

Congratulations on working on healthy habits pre-surgery, that's a great plan!
My blog:  PaintingChef

Kate -True Brit
on 1/25/11 3:38 am - UK

I hate all protein shakes and so made my own. Basic soup  (home made or shop bought, but the healthy option!), add a can of chick peas or lentils or red kidney beans for protein. Blend until the consistency you need.

Tasty, high protein, any flavour you want! No added chemicals, colourings, flavourings etc.. My nut was totally Ok about it - said they were as good, if nto better than shop bought shakes! You could always add in an unflavoured protein powder if you wanted as well.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Most Active