slip

Thundergrrrl
on 1/26/11 1:54 am
Just a thought, cause I've heard of this being possible before (and there are others who know much more than me) but see if you can push to get a revision (if you want one) paid for by insurance because -and here's the argument- "obesity" was recognized in 2002 as an independant medical condition requiring treatment in and of itself and you have treated your obesity with surgery however, with the removal of your band you would most likely become obese again. I'm not saying YOU would but just for argument's sake. It's like telling a diabetic they are no longer eligible to take insulin once their blood sugar is under control. If you're willing to put up a fight and even appeal the insurance if you have to, you should be able to get a revision despite the low bmi.

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/26/11 2:25 am - Mexico
On January 26, 2011 at 9:54 AM Pacific Time, Thundergrrrl wrote:
Just a thought, cause I've heard of this being possible before (and there are others who know much more than me) but see if you can push to get a revision (if you want one) paid for by insurance because -and here's the argument- "obesity" was recognized in 2002 as an independant medical condition requiring treatment in and of itself and you have treated your obesity with surgery however, with the removal of your band you would most likely become obese again. I'm not saying YOU would but just for argument's sake. It's like telling a diabetic they are no longer eligible to take insulin once their blood sugar is under control. If you're willing to put up a fight and even appeal the insurance if you have to, you should be able to get a revision despite the low bmi.

That would not work, ins co's can set any guidelines they want.  They don't have to pay for WLS at all if they don't want to.  They can require any BMI they wish.  They can say they will only pay for 1 WLS in a lifetime, heck... me being self pay if I was going to have a revision under ins they can still play the 1 WLS in a lifetime card even though they didn't pay for my original surgery.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
ashkay4me
on 1/26/11 2:45 am - NC
VSG on 04/10/15
exactly........i am the "once in a lifetime insurance" gal............

HW 4/4/15 229 / SW 229 / CW 166 / GW 130-140?

Lap Band removed 2/9/11 due to slippage

VSG on 4/10/15.  

melly37
on 1/25/11 11:34 pm - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
That happened to me, as well.  My insurance paid for my band to be re-positioned.  At them time, my BMI was too low to get a different type of surgery.   A total unfill was not going to fix mine either. 

PM me if you need to talk!! 

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

Most Active