Weight loss products that contain hCG are fraudulent and illegal

BluestCat
on 1/25/11 12:00 am
I found this article about hCG and thought that I would share it ....

W eight loss products that contain hCG are fraudulent and illegal, the US Food and Drug Administration said over the weekend, according to an exclusive report from USA Today.

The advertisers claim that the products, which are heavily advertised on the Internet, are homeopathic and sold in pellets, drops, and sprays. They are sold in drugstores, General Nutrition Centers, and via the Internet, the report said.

The products, which contain hormone human chorionic gonadotrophin (hCG) as an active ingredient, are said to be taken by a person while he or she consumes less than 500 calories per day.

The FDA told the newspaper that no evidence shows that hCG is effective as a weight loss product.

Elizabeth Miller of the FDA’s Internet fraud team told USA Today that they might not be dangerous, but at least are an “economic fraud."

"We are aware of hCG products that claim to be homeopathic, but it is not recognized in the Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia," she said, adding that they “are not recognized by the FDA as homeopathic drugs, so they are unapproved drugs and are illegal."

The hCG drugs were first used in the 1950s by a UK physician who thought that it might help people who are nearly starving not feel any hunger.

“The bottom line is there is no reason to think the product works," Stephen Barrett, a retired doctor who runs quackwatch.org, told USA Today.

According to the Arizona Daily Star, the hCG-containing products were not evaluated because they were classified as a supplement.

Bobby Tenery told the Daily Star that using the products enabled him to lose 60 pounds in 30 days last February.

"It's changed my life," he told the newspaper last week. "I flew on an airplane for the first time in five years. I'm a human being again."

He said that he lost 220 pounds using he products after formerly weighing 597 pounds.
Bette B.
on 1/25/11 12:49 am
  Noooooooo! REALLY?? 

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Bette B.
on 1/25/11 12:54 am
 Holy crap. Unless my eyes were playing tricks on me, the BANNER at the top of the page was JUST an ad for some HCG ****!! 

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Kate -True Brit
on 1/25/11 3:28 am - UK

As Bette says, I had a   banner for an HCG product on the OH site yesterday!

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

-Mari-
on 1/25/11 6:55 am
I remember a few weeks ago someone saying the GNC hCG product was being recalled and the very next day a close friend of mine was "gushing" about this product her 20 year old was using and she was going to try it, she said it was some sort of hCG spray. I told her about the GNC one being recalled and she said this was different.
There was someone on the news that is doing the dog food diet, what he is saying is that  with any diet you can lose weight, that doesn't make it healthy. It was really gross watching him eat the canned stuff.
 Mari  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
BluestCat
on 1/25/11 6:58 am
What's sad is what people will try to lose weight. And what makes me angry is that there are so many companies out there that take advantage of people who will try anything to lose weight just to make a buck.

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/25/11 7:03 am - Mexico
It's just like Hoodia. Total crap. People don't even realize that they are not taking Hoodia, that is not even available to people. They are actually taking the shell of the hoodia product. It's like instead of eating a coconut you eat the shell instead. Not the same thing. But people will spend a fortune on it anyway.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Most Active