1 day post surgery for port replacement - need help!

LauraAnnIrwin
on 1/24/11 11:06 pm
Have been dealing with what we think was a leaky port for the past year. Pleased to have had it replaced yesterday. It's been 4.5 years since my surgery and I can't remember how long gas, bloating, pain, and MONGO water weight stays around.

My band was left untouched, so just a lap incision, managable pain but wondering when I will tolerate working at my desk again. Mostly wondering how long to expect the 5 lbs I put on between yesterday and this morning will take to drop away.'

I'm about 10 lbs above my lowest weight (after losing 50). Very pleased with that 50 and wanted 20 more, so hopefully this port will do the trick to erase 30 lbs.

Tips/points? Anyone else have to have port replaced? tell me what to expect, point me to those who know. Thanks

Tiff tells all
on 1/25/11 2:14 am - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19
I had a port migration surgery. It's similar to a full replacement.

I was only down for a few days. I had surgery on Friday and back at my desk job on Monday. It was so easy in comparison to the first surgery.

Because they didn't mess with the band, you should have to do any of the crazy liquids post-op. At least I didn't have to. No gas to contend with either. YEAH!!!

Happy Healing.

Tiff

Current MD- Dr. Mikami, Honolulu Hawaii

Lapband 14cc AP Lg in 2008- slipped and removed 2016 -VSG July 21, 2016-dx Gerd

** RNY Revision 05/21/2019 **

"A few drops of hope can water and nourish our garden" - Jean M

Kate -True Brit
on 1/25/11 3:31 am - UK

My repair was to the tubing not the port. But because the band itself was untouched, they refiilled me during surgery and I had no gas etc to contend with.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Jean M.
on 1/25/11 6:50 am
Revision on 08/16/12
I had my flipped port repositioned in April 2010. I was so bloated afterward, I looked like I was pregnant with a basketball. It took a few weeks for that to subside. And I had to wait until 6 weeks after the surgery to start getting fills again, so the port surgery didn't do anything immediate for my weight.

I was also badly bruised from that surgery, and it was more painful to recover from than my original band surgery...possibly because I had become accustomed to being a LOT more active and minded the restrictions on my movement this time a lot more - and possibly because my surgeon had to deal with a lot of scar tissue from the original band placement.

I asked for a week off my retail job and ended up taking 2 weeks (just the way it worked out with scheduling, nothing to do with my surgery). I was glad to have the 2 weeks. If I had a desk job, I would have been OK at it after a few days - if I could've found a maternity smock to wear!

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Most Active