Surgery was worse than I expected:(

reneekennedy11
on 1/23/11 11:41 am - CA
Came home yesterday and wow Im in pain. I also ended up with a hernia surgery also. I can barely move and feel awful! Im not hungry or thirsty at all but Im trying to drink. I have a horrible taste in my mouth....and the GAS!!! Worst thing ever! How long until I start to feel better?
Laurena
on 1/23/11 12:03 pm - Louisville, KY
Hi...glad your home and congrats to you.Yes the gas is bad ,it took me a good 5 days till I felt better,my surgery was 2 weeks ago and I still have some gas pains.The more you walk the better the gas pains get.
Hope you feel better after a good night sleep.

KathyS39
on 1/23/11 12:22 pm - St Pete Beach, FL
Hey Renee,
Just hang in there. For me, it took a good week and a half to two weeks before I really felt better. For others, it sometimes only takes a few days. Give yourself time to heal and be sure to take your pain meds! I was told not to wait until I needed my meds but to take them as prescribed for the first few days. Fortunately I didn't have a hernia but I do feel for you! Trust me, it really does get better and think of how awesome we will be once we get through this! Keep us posted and feel better soon.
Kathy Allen

Tiff tells all
on 1/23/11 12:51 pm - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19
Hey girly- yes, it sucks!  Does it feel like you've done a thousand crunches for the very first time in your life? For me, laying back or laying down in bed, when those muscles flex was the absolute worst. Enough to take my breath away. But each day it gets better. The recovery will probably take a few extra days thanks to that hernia repair. oh yeah! (sarcasm)

The gas- I found an herbal option called Gasalia at my local co-op. my surgeon said it's what they put in all the gas-x type products. It seemed to help, but honestly, just walking and keeping the gas on the run helped. I burped and tooted for about a week straight. Thats about when I got my energy back. It took a good 2 weeks to get up to 100% energy though.  During that time I took a lot of naps but that first week I took a lot of pain meds lol- I drank every last drop.

Remember to keep yourself hydrated and don't fret about any of the food stuff for a few more days. There is plenty of time for counting protein and what not down the road.

Happy healing!

Tiff

Current MD- Dr. Mikami, Honolulu Hawaii

Lapband 14cc AP Lg in 2008- slipped and removed 2016 -VSG July 21, 2016-dx Gerd

** RNY Revision 05/21/2019 **

"A few drops of hope can water and nourish our garden" - Jean M

Cocobean
on 1/23/11 2:04 pm
 I had my surgery on the 18th and I think today has been the best day yet.  I was a slug for the first 3 days.  The gas DOES SUCK!  I couldn't believe it either.  I kept using the Gas X strips that melt on your mouth and pain meds are good, but make sure you're taking a stool softener too cause they'll make you constipated.  I must admidt....TMI ALERT, you'll feel much better if you can get your bowels to move.  As others have said, walking helps a lot!  It will stimulate everything else to move too.  
Can you burp?  I found it strange how painful and non existent that function is for me.  Everyone says it'll eventually return.  
Hope you're feeling better soon and take it easy.  

"Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time." ~ Mark Twain
reneekennedy11
on 1/23/11 2:49 pm - CA
My chest hurts sooo bad and my back....feels like I need to burp so bad...and it hurts! I just want this gas out!!! 
Stephanie M.
on 1/23/11 11:48 pm
Hiatal hernia repair does cause more post-op discomfort and a bit longer recovery...I had it done with my banding and was very sore in the chest area + the normal stuff.

Gas-X strips will help you to burp...the other gas (CO2 that was used to "blow you up") won't go away with gas-x, but a heating pad directly on the area that hurts the most will help it to dissipate faster, along with walking every hour.  Use the spirometer they gave you at the hospital for your breathing.  The hernia repair involves your chest and you may find breathing deeply difficult and uncomfortable, but it is very necessary to avoid pneumonia.
I used ice on my incisions too...alternated the heating pad for a few minutes with ice every hour, helps to increase circulation and healing...
Take your pain meds as directed, but don't over do it...it just slows you down.

I had my surgery on a Friday and was feeling a lot better on Monday...but took about 3 weeks before I felt truly human again.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

pretty_face
on 1/23/11 5:09 pm
Ii feel bad that the recovery is so unpleasant. I have no advice to offer was your surgery an open one?
Jill P.
on 1/23/11 7:36 pm - United Kingdom

I had a bad time the first week with pain, gas, sickness, dry mouth & costipation. After that I was fine..... just a little tired for the next week or so, but since then everything has been great so just bear with it & you'll be fine!!  Its onwards & upwards now!!!!

airhead_74
on 1/23/11 7:56 pm
DS on 08/20/12
The first week or two is the worst. I'm two weeks out today and I'm feeling much better. During my hospital stay post-op I questioned my decision to have the surgery many times due to the pain and nausea. Now that I am feeling better I am so happy I did it. It took over a week before I could get many liquids down. You've had a double whammy with the hernia also. It does get better. I promise.It gets a little better every day. Hopefuly a week from now you will be feeling much better.

Lap Band with Greater Curvature Plication 1/10/11, Conversion to DS 8/20/12 

Most Active