I have this sense of impending doom

crystal M.
on 1/23/11 7:39 am - Joliet, IL
Hello

Hi

I know two Banders .  My one bander friend lost her band a year ago due to a complication and has since then regained a lot of her weight.  My other Bander friend just lost his band and in one mnth gained 12 lbs. I feel like there is bad stories with every surgery but with their surgeries they can't lose their sleeve or DS... Sometimes I worry that no matter what we are doomed to a life of obesity...but that is my fear getting the better of me.  When my friends had their bands removed I have this fear now (and I try not to think of it) but I almost feel like I have this ticking time bomb inside of me waiting to go off...and boom I will lose my band too.  I know this is my fear again.  Am I the only one that feels this way???  Recently I had this pain and rushed to my surgeon because I was sooo afraid something was wrong.  It was nothing of course and he said I was doing really great.  
I really haven't had any problems other than slow weight loss.  So I have no reason to worry...  But can people really live 10-20+ years with the band in them???  Will I eventually lose my band...will we all???
deb_t
on 1/23/11 7:50 am, edited 1/23/11 7:50 am - RI
As I look at it, I could get hit by a car and die tomorrow -- then the "lifetime" of my band won't be an issue.

I choose to embrace my new life, live that life, and not stress over anything I either can't control or that hasn't happened yet.
Debbie 

Includes 47.5 lbs. lost during 7 month pre-op period
WASaBubbleButt
on 1/23/11 8:19 am - Mexico
I don't think it is a bad idea for any of us to have Plan B. Of course, in my case it would be Plan C. ;o) If for any reason I eat around my sleeve and regain, I would likely opt either for a resleeve or more likely, Vergito. I really don't see it as being much of a problem, I really have overhauled my diet. Okay, I say that as I sit here looking at my plate. I just finished off a half slice of pizza and one wing. ;o)

I don't care which surgery type you have, stuff happens. DSers can eat around their surgery type, they can eat white carbs and stink when they do. Every surgery type has it's issues.

If you lose your band for any reason you promptly move on to Plan B.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Kate -True Brit
on 1/23/11 8:41 am - UK

I think we all worry like this sometimes - I know I do!

But look at it this way - if I were to lose my band tomorrow, I have had 5 fabulous years (almost). If i could have the band replaced, i would; if not, I would just have to try to manage without. i wouldn't have any other wls. Things can go wrong with any surgery, but at least if things go wrong with the band, regain is the most likely option and we can fight that (we may not succeed, but we can try). With other surgeries the problems are harder to live with as the surgery is more dramatic. (Please note: i am aware that a few bandsters on here have damage from being banded which is not reversible. But from all I read, such damage is the exception. Most people who lose their bands are not physically damaged.))

My experience is vey different to yours - i have met 15 bandsters and all but 2 are doing really well, all for them 2 years plus out, several over 5 years out.

My advice is don't worry! If it happens, it happens! You can try to avoid doing harm by careful eating, but it may still happen! So enjoy the now!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

(deactivated member)
on 1/23/11 8:53 am - Des Moines, IA
All you can do is to try and keep your band safe by following the "rules".  Even that doesn't mean nothing will happen.

I'm a RN and I see it with any type of surgery. I have seen things go wrong with surgeries, but gosh, obesity is nasty.  It decreases the quality of life and all we can do is keep fighting obesity.

I know something could go wrong, I also know being morbidly obese is not the path I want to follow.  So I choose to be positive and not worry. 

Hugs,
Kristi
BuckeyeGirl
on 1/23/11 8:56 am - TN
I think current numbers are suggesting that approximately half of people will have their bands removed by the 10 year mark. So maybe its about 50/50.

I agree with WasBB, think of a back-up plan. Hopefully having a back-up plan will help you stop worrying about what ifs. You may never have to use your back-up plan, and if you do, then you do. I was so sad when my band had to come out and I cried about losing it, but looking back that was kind of silly. I revised successfully and am even happier today.

I had my band unfilled for awhile before revising and I gained a bunch of weight back just like the one friend you mentioned. Ugh. That was stupid. If something should happen to your band one day (and let's hope nothing does!!), hold on to your success! Not much fun starting from scratch.

Good luck,
Lindsey

(deactivated member)
on 1/23/11 9:01 am - alexandria, VA
 I am so sorry you feel this way, cheer up, you have the safest weight loss surgery there is, no need to feel an impending doom and gloom. My surgeons says that it is very hard for a Lap band to slip if it was placed correctly. Nothing is guarantee in life we just have to make the best of it and pray and hope for the best, I feel pretty confident on my longevity with my band, so far so good. I think as long as you take care of your band it will take care of you.
Lynn C
on 1/23/11 9:46 am
It is very likely that you will have at least a second surgery and a 50/50 chance of removal with the band. That being said - there are people that have ZERO problems. Worring yourself sick isn't going to help either way, the good thing about band complications is that although they can be serious they are almost never life threatening.

So, concentrate on rocking your band - if something bad happens down the line deal with it then, but don't let it make you miserable before it even happens (if it even happens).

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/23/11 9:56 am - Mexico
Misty is wrong according to peer reviewed studies and basic science. Banding most certainly is NOT the safest surgery type long term, the sleeve is. She can continue living in her dream world. The surgery itself, yes. It is safer by less than 1%. Long term, not so much.

Bands slip, it's a reality. Mine was placed well and with all the vomiting I never did slip but it can happen with food poisoning, all kinds of things that are out of our control.

Just consider a Plan B like all the rest of us with any WLS type.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
(deactivated member)
on 1/23/11 10:02 am
Most Active