14 days post op, and only a 5 pound weight loss

jules777
on 1/23/11 1:07 pm - CA
Hi guys, I am 14 days post op and I have only lost about 5 lbs, is this normal? Also, I am super constipated as well... (Sorry people) Is there anyone out there who didnt loose any wieght until they had a fill? What do you do for the constipation? This has been so strange, to be on liquids and not really loosing weight and having constipation. Any insight anyone?
Cocobean
on 1/23/11 1:47 pm
 I can't really speak to the why you haven't lost more, maybe it's due to the constipation?....at least a couple of lbs anyway.  Did your doctor write a script for a stool softener or laxative?  Mine wrote Colace, but I ended up only taking the pain meds at night to sleep and getting through the day with a heating pad for just this reason.  I ended up using some Ex Lax and had good results on the 3rd day.  
Hope you get some advice and good luck.  

"Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time." ~ Mark Twain
Kate -True Brit
on 1/23/11 4:48 pm - UK

I was always more than happy with 2.5lbs a week!  More than the average for bandsters!

Post-op your body is recovering from the trauma and it is common for weight loss to be patchy or non-existent. It seems odd when we are only taking in so few calories on the post-op diet but people often report it happening. Also, i don't know if you had a pre-op diet, but if you did, you probably lost quite a lot then and weight loss must be averaged out over the months not the days or weeks. 

At no stage did I ever lose more than 10lbs a month and I think that only happened once! My usual loss ranged from 4-8.

Constipation - take stool softeners or soluble fibre. Again, it is really common!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

airhead_74
on 1/23/11 8:09 pm
DS on 08/20/12
I had my post op visit four days after surgery and I had gained 4 lbs during my hospital stay. My doctor said that is normal due to all of the iv fluids. I'm also 14 days out. I am constipated and feel bloated. I go for an appointment tomorrow so I will see how much weight I have lost, if any. I am following the diet restrictions but I just feel like I haven't lost much. I have read from others on the board that many didn't lose weight until their first fill. Good luck to you on your recovery and weight loss journey.

Lap Band with Greater Curvature Plication 1/10/11, Conversion to DS 8/20/12 

80sgurlie
on 1/23/11 10:51 pm - IL

Ladies,

I remember post op blues. I was so upset about the minimal weight loss for a minute there i regreted even having the surgery. But I also lost 19 lbs preop diet. So anyway, here i am 7 months out and i have lost 66 lbs. You will see it come off eventually. Be patient and remember, this is slow weight loss. Once you see more weight coming off you are going to look  healthy, not sick.

Good luck. And be patient. Tootles !!!! 

jules777
on 1/24/11 3:42 am - CA
Seriously, thank you everyone for responding. I love how 80's gurlie said "post op blues", That is exactly what I am feeling right now, I couldnt figure out what was wrong with me.. its so strange that having weight loss surgery will make you feel like that. To Kate, thank you for your post, yes, I did lose 15 lbs before surgery so I had already been loosing before and I think, like you said, that had something to do with it. I am relived that everything is going normally... I will just keep doing what I need to do and stay off the scale for now. Good luck to you all~~
Cameo S.
on 1/24/11 10:31 am
First let me say I posted this same question!

There are multiple reasons people don't lose initially:
1. Pain killers (Loratab, etc.) slow the digestive system and cause constipation.
2. Being put to sleep does too.
3. The protein shakes do too.
4. The dairy products that you're allowed, are loaded with carbs!
5. Soup has a ton of sodium which makes you retain water AND the IV you received.
6. You can't have any roughage and your stool probably weighs a couple of pounds alone.

So basically, its a Christmas miracle that you've lost anything!  The "healing diet" is not for weight loss!

Cheer up, it'll come off!
Most Active