sharp, stabbing pains......

airhead_74
on 1/22/11 2:36 pm
DS on 08/20/12

It's eleven days after my surgery and I'm having sharp pains in both of my sides. I got the lap-band plus gastric plication. They folded my stomach inside itself and stitched up the greater curvature then added the lap-band. I know it could be gas. But gas hasn'tever  felt like this before tonight. It's a sharp pain in both of my sides. It started out on one side then spread. I'm still on full liquids.

Lap Band with Greater Curvature Plication 1/10/11, Conversion to DS 8/20/12 

Kate -True Brit
on 1/22/11 4:37 pm - UK

Can't help about the pain - hopefully others may be able to.

Just wanted to say - is this a new procedure? I have never heard this two part element before. What are the advantages?

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

airhead_74
on 1/23/11 12:29 am
DS on 08/20/12
Yes, this is a new proceedure. The plication is new and still in the trial phase. Combining it with the lap band is extremely new and experimental. Due to my weight the lap band won't help me lose all the weight I need to. My surgeon wanted to do the sleeve then convert to RNY after I lose about another 100 lbs. My insurance wouldn't approve the sleeve but they approved the band. Then my surgeon did the plication when he did the band. The advantage to the plication is that it reduces the stomach by approxamately two thirds. That along with the lap-band should help me get the weight off faster so that I can have the RNY.

I researched the plication and the lap-band both before my surgery. I could find info on both but I couldn't find anything abut the two combined. But when I chose my surgeon and hospital I feel I chose the best so I have complete faith and trust in him and his staff. They said I was their poster child. lol

Kate -True Brit
on 1/23/11 1:41 am - UK

Interesting! Keep us all informed as to how it goes.WLS develops by the week! Maybe one day they will find the perfect one!  Best wishes.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

(deactivated member)
on 1/22/11 10:35 pm - Des Moines, IA
Did you call your surgeon?  Sharp pains shouldn't happen, no matter what the surgery.  Hope you are feeling better?
spuddzy
on 1/22/11 11:05 pm - NY
I didn't have your type of surgery but I had repaired heitial hernia and lap band...I too after 2 wks experience the worst sharp pains under my rib cage so bad that after going into seeing the surgeron, he went into my port and extracted whatever fluid was in it from surgery..I asked him how much, only about 1cc. After leaving his office that night I had immediate relief and I never got the pains back.  I had them for about 4 days and kept thinking it was gas and would go away. He said never ignore anything that is that bad.. Call him or go to ER and play it safe and check it out...I'm going on 6 wks. post op.  Good luck...

spuddzy

Laurena
on 1/22/11 11:47 pm - Louisville, KY
Hi...I had the same pains last night in both of my sides after 2 weeks surgery,but it is gone this morning.So I thing it was trapped gas still.If you still have it call your Dr.
Hope you feel better too. 

airhead_74
on 1/23/11 12:21 am
DS on 08/20/12
Thanks for the advice. It helps to hear from others who have gone through the same thing. I am some what better this morning. Only a little pain right now. My doctor and hospital are over three hours away. So I hesitate to call unless I absolutely have to.

airhead_74
on 1/23/11 8:24 pm
DS on 08/20/12
I finally called my Dr. last night. Got the Dr. on call. He didn't feel that my problems sounded too severe. Reccommended that I come in today for an appointment. I'm over three hours away so that won't hapen unless absolutely necessary.  I'm thinking maybe it is just gas. But I also got dizzy and felt like I was going to pass out last night. Had my blood pressure checked and my sugar. Both were fine. Not sure what my problem is.

Most Active