I am soooo depressed. Did I make a mistake.

codesmom
on 1/21/11 9:00 am - WY
After much praying I had  the lap band done 6/09. I had my first fill 9/09, followed by 10/09 and 11/09.  At the appointment 11/09, the Dr. Asked why I was there, I told hiim for a fill, he then began berating me for coming in as he did not feel it was necessary.  I had lost 10-15 pounds by that time.  I was in tears by the ticityme I got to my car and vowed to not go back as I felt so humiliated.  My husband convinced me to give it another try and I went to the other surgeon that comes to my to wn.  I saw her 5/10 and 6/10.  I then lost my job.   I had been feeling restriction, eating as instructed and walking.  I decided to go today to see the Dr. , thinking that I had dropped my weight to 285 (according to my scale) only to be so disappointed to see 300 on the scale.  Did I make a mistake in not having a gastric bypass as the surgeon wanted?    I feel so hopeless and depressed, I was hoping to be down 100 pounds but instead have 160 to go.  Any advice from someone would be greatly appreciated.  I have made a promise to myself today to play an active role.  Someone please help. 

Pam
WASaBubbleButt
on 1/21/11 9:23 am - Mexico
Something here that is just a MUST. You MUST be more proactive and kick your surgeon in the shin as hard as you can! ;o) Seriously, he's wrong. You were doing the right thing and he berated you for that. It is him that is wrong and you need to be more assertive and tell him so. Wish I lived near you, I'd go with you and take care of the matter for you!

Don't let doctors treat you that way, they don't have the right.

Keep getting your fills as you can and do what you know how to do, lose well.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
WASaBubbleButt
on 1/21/11 10:15 pm - Mexico
BTW... I would hope you write a factual patient testimonial for your surgeon so you can warn others. It would appear the office staff is writing the majority of their testimonials thus far.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/bariatric+surgeon+profile+Richard+Fermelia+pgb.html

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Joanna B
on 1/21/11 10:56 pm - MI
VSG on 03/12/15
I agree with the previous post. Kick him ! Only you know your band and if you need a fill or not. There surgeon is to go by what you feel you need. Yea, they will ask you a lot of questions, to see how much you are eating and check your weight, but in the end he is only to recommend to you and you make the decision.  Sometimes my surgeon will just give me the littlest fill. Just enough to make a difference, but not to pu**** then if I need to go back I do.
Also, not all surgeons have great manors. I'm glad you are seeing another one.
I know you are upset, but work to get it back off. The band is a wonderful tool. I love my band and truly believe this is the best thing I ever did for myself. Yea, I gain, and yea I get upset. But its not my band, its my mistakes of old eating habits.
You can do this Pam!

~Joanna

dvolumptious1
on 1/23/11 3:33 am
     I weighted 305 lbs the day I went to meet with my surgeon to discuss having an operation. I never wanted to have the gastric bypass as I always thought of that to be the last alternative for me. He was never a fan of the band from the beginning and tried every thing in his power to get me to have the surgery but I would refuse and he gave me the realize band and it took forever for me to get restriction but in the meantime....and in between time, and right now...I work out hard. I have a personal trainer and I watch what I eat. I have to admit, I got slack around the holidays and have been working hard to get off the 10 lbs I gained.
     Point of the story is that you can do it, the band is a tool, that is it, it takes hard work and dedication to lose every lb. you lose with the band. I even dabble with weigh****chers to maintain. Please, by all means, don't even try to rely on your band....but DO rely on your inner strength and let your doctor's ignorance be your inspiration to prove him wrong. I thank God, my doctor was an idiot....it felt so good when I went in for my 1 year surgiversary date and had lost  over 100 lbs. I could have told him "IN YOUR FACE"!!!!

Left the band and rocking with RNY.
They say I have an eating disorder but I say, I have my eating in order.         

Most Active