Previous veteran question thread!

SOUTHERNGIRL76
on 1/22/11 10:21 am - Anderson, SC
This past week I posted a question for a friend for the veterans here.....

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/lapband/4306198/Question-f or-veterans-with-band-or-anyone-who-can-help/#35487797

I would like to thank everyone who posted a response to help her out!  You all were 100% right!  All it took was removing just a little of her fill and its been smooth sailing ever since!  No more sleepless nights.

Just wanted to add.....had to tell the dr she wanted to remove some, he was still sure it was some other problem he did not want to remove any.  He proceeded to do so but not happily, telling her I will take some out but it needs to go right back in on your visit next month??  I'm not sure what his dealio is??  I am begining to wonder about him@!

Thanks again for all your help!  You guys are full of great info!!

Hugs and thanks to everyone!!
D
(deactivated member)
on 1/22/11 10:25 am - Des Moines, IA
Glad it helped.  I wonder also about the surgeon.  Tighter does not mean faster weight loss.  We need to be able to eat fresh fruit and veggies and dense protein. 
Kate -True Brit
on 1/22/11 4:13 pm - UK

I agree with Kristi! Very odd response from her surgeon. Unless he does a check under fluoro (XRay), the only way he can know how tight the band is is by asking your friend how she feels! There is no magic formula which says that at x cc in a y cc band you will be at the correct level. One person can feel restriction at 2cc, another person wih an identical band may need 10cc! Tell her to make veyr sure he does not put any saline back in next month unless she feels she needs it! Most docs prefer not to put it in and we have to argue to get it!

I think I remember you saying  that you were asking for your friend because she was not computer savvy. Could you just teach her the basics? She doesn't need to post if she prefers not to - just reading helps!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

adorkbl
on 1/23/11 1:30 am, edited 1/23/11 1:32 am
That is a strange reaction from her surgeon. It was pretty obviously a slight overfill causing her problems. And to say it has to go right back in?? I would be extra cautious with his advise. There isn't a magical fill level for everyone. If she is losing weight with the slight unfill and having success that is what is important.

Posted Image

01|17|08 lap band   08|12|08
gallbladder  
01|17|11 port replacement
            07|09|12 hiatal hernia repair & band repositioning

Stephanie M.
on 1/23/11 1:42 am
She needs to stand her ground with her doctor and be in charge of her own health...there are some guidelines to help her know if she is at an optimal fill level..

1.  After eating a half cup of food; 3 oz of dense protein and 1 oz of veggies,
salad or fresh fruit, cutting her food into quarter inch pieces and chewing thoroughlly and waiting to drin****il at least a half hour after eating, she should not be hungry (tummy growling) for 3-5 hours....with at least 4 hours as the goal.
2.  If this is so and she is losing steadily, 1-2 lbs per week, depending on her exercise  AND
3.  She is NOT having reflux, frequent pbs, night coughing...THEN

She is at an optimal fill level for the time being...

Glad to hear she is feeling better...reflux is dangerous and pretty much always indicates that one is over-filled.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Most Active