Slip

pjbell69
on 1/21/11 10:48 pm - Brighton, CO
Could somebody please tell me what a slip feels like?  I am a little over 2 years
out,  have followed every rule and yesterday started feeling a twinge.  I don't know
how to explain it but still feeling this morning.  I am able to drink and eat what I need
to I just have this weird feeling in my band area.

Thanks,
Paula

Kate -True Brit
on 1/21/11 11:13 pm - UK

I have never had a slip but from reading on here the usual symptom is being extremely tight - to the extent of being unable to eat or drink.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

pjbell69
on 1/21/11 11:29 pm - Brighton, CO
Thanks Kate,  that makes me feel better.  I just want to know what is going on.

Lynn C
on 1/21/11 11:33 pm
Some slips have no symptoms but usually a sudden increase/decrease in restriction not preceded by an adjustment is the first indicator.

Unless you've been violently ill recently then I doubt a twinge in your band area is a slip - pulled muscle, gas, just one of those body pains with no explanation. Band problems are usually very obvious about getting your attention.

If it becomes painful or doesn't go away in a couple days then call your doctor just to make sure. Good luck!

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

pjbell69
on 1/21/11 11:41 pm - Brighton, CO
Thank you so much!  I love OH!!!!

Jean M.
on 1/22/11 7:48 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Paula,

First of all, I have to congratulate you on your fabulous weight loss!

Now, about the slip. My band slip came out of nowhere (possibly caused by my untreated hiatal hernia), but some folks experience a slip after prolonged coughing or vomitting. My symptoms progressed from bad to worse. Difficulty eating (lots of PB's and sliming), then difficulty swallowing full liquids, then clear liquids, plus reflux, heartburn, sore throat (from the acid), & chest pain. A complete unfill and 6 week rest period cured it; then I gradually started getting re-filled.

The slip symptoms might be constant (like mine) or intermittent. It's not really a medical emergency as long as you're not in terrible pain and you can drink clear liquids, but letting it go indefinitely isn't a good idea.

When you say you have a weird feeling or twinge in your band area...is this feeling in the center of your chest (between your breasts), or is it in your port area? Have you had any eating problems lately, like a stuck episode, that might have irritated your esophagus or stoma? Is the feeling constant or intermittent? Does it change when you alter your body position (sitting up versus lying down, for example)?

If the twinge is in your chest or upper abdomen, my best (non-medical guess) is that you might have a hiatal hernia. I've had mine for about 30 years and it causes me a twinge or pinching feeling in my left upper abdomen. It gets worse if I bend over and better if I stand or sit up straight.

An upper GI xray should show what's going on, and it's one of the least expensive and invasive tests you can have to rule out other major problems. Call your surgeon's office and explain what's going on.

My original surgeon was supposed to repair my hiatal hernia when he placed my band. He didn't do it (I think I know why, but the story could land me in court for libel or defamation). I asked my current surgeon if we should repair the hernia to prevent slips or other problems, and she said no, not unless I start having problems again.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

pjbell69
on 1/22/11 11:51 pm - Brighton, CO
Thank you so much Jean,  you look absolutly wonderful too!
It is hard to explain but this morning it seems to be gone,  I have
been working out harder and wondering if I might have pulled
something but I will be following up w/ my doc tomorrow just in
case.  I worked way too hard for this to let anything happen.

Have a great day,
Paula

Most Active