really really bad constipation!!!

mingyehe
on 1/21/11 4:35 pm
I am on the 5th week (pureed phase)of diet, but start on Thursday I am having really really bad constipation, what should I do, should i conttact my doctor??  I noticed that I have been drinking less water than previous few week, could that cause the constipation. Also I start take the stool softener elixir which was prescible by my doctor after the surgery........hope it will works....
Kate -True Brit
on 1/21/11 4:42 pm, edited 1/21/11 4:42 pm - UK

Common problem for us! Don't let it get too bad or you will be in hospital having enemas and manual removals!!!!

Drink, drink, drink.
Take stool softeners/ added fibre
Drink prune juice (high cal but effective)
Last resort, take a laxative.

If you are already really bad, adding anything on top won't help with hard stuff (sorry!!) lower down! So the softeners are your best current bet.

But yes, if it is immovable, see your doc!

During my 15 months of losing, i took a stool softener and added fibre every single morning and night. Now I am maintaining, i eat more bulk and so I just have a small glass of prune juice every day.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

JoMixx
on 1/21/11 8:51 pm - West Yarmouth, MA

Drink more water!

Also, my MD suggested Milk of Magnesia - you take it with water.  Or you can take mineral oil to loosen your current issue.  I don't know how fast they work because I haven't had to take them yet.

Surgery 1/6/11 , 14ml band - 0ml fill      
WASaBubbleButt
on 1/21/11 10:19 pm - Mexico
Miralax! It works well.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Tiffany1975
on 1/23/11 2:23 am
oh yes, Miralax works wonderfully.
coachgrrl
on 1/21/11 10:26 pm
 Miralax...I keep a bottle around.

jaxmom
on 1/21/11 11:26 pm
lots of water and try Smooth Move (lol, yes, that's the name of it) tea before bed. that tea was a miracle during the protein shake phase for me. aso try adding benefiber to your food (it has no taste and no thickening agents so you do not know its even there). eating so much protein makes it tricky to get enough fiber in. its a learning process. hope you feel better soon!
Lap-Banded March 16, 2010
263.4/187/148(Start/current/Goal)

'once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right'

Bette B.
on 1/22/11 2:35 am
 I vote for Miralax as well. Dissolves complete in hot or cold liquids and has no taste.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

rainbow_runner
on 1/22/11 2:38 am

"Long-life ****tail" - 2 heaping Tbsp of ground flax in 8 oz of water mixed with a teaspoon of sugar-free, orange-flavoured powdered fibre laxative for flavour and added oomph (I buy the Walmart brand - it's cheaper and works just as well as the brand name).   Then lotsa water all day long.  Keeps the pipes hummin and the flax is full of omegas & other great stuff!

Karkies
on 1/22/11 10:36 am
 I take a scoop of Miralax in my water each morning...the best!

Starting Weight: 256
Goal Weight: 145
Current Weight: 141
Check out my blog: LAP-BAND Gal
BANDED: 10/20/09

I've maintained my weight loss for over one year now!

Most Active