Water

JoMixx
on 1/20/11 9:34 pm - West Yarmouth, MA

Hello - before my band, I had no problem drinking water.  I seem to always be thirsty.  But since the surgery, I have a hard time getting my water in.  Can anyone tell me how much and when you drink? I feel like there isn't enough time in the day to get my food AND water in.  I also don't know if there is a maximum I should drink in a sitting.

PS looking for specifics - ie - drink 8oz at 7am, etc

Thanks so much!!!

Surgery 1/6/11 , 14ml band - 0ml fill      
(deactivated member)
on 1/20/11 9:40 pm - ~Somewhere in~, PA
 Most people keep a water bottle at all times and constantly drink up until their next meal, that is the only way to get down about 8-10 glasses of water daily, also I make sure it's room temp this way it goes down easier.
JoMixx
on 1/20/11 9:47 pm - West Yarmouth, MA

Thanks for the advice. 

How much is too much to drink in one setting though?  I mean can I sip on 8 oz for an hour or will that fill my stomach?  

(deactivated member)
on 1/20/11 9:52 pm - ~Somewhere in~, PA
I don't think that would be too much, as long as you can stand it, the more water you drink the better off you will be in weight loss and prevent dehydration.
spuddzy
on 1/20/11 11:31 pm - NY
First I have to congratulate you on your weight loss. Super..I really needed to know about the water in take also. I had no problem ever drinking water. I drank bottles all day long. But since my lap band in dec. I start my day with 1 to 2 cups of coffee. wait awhile then have breakfast. before I leave for work have my protein shake...Here's my problem..I drink 1 bottle of water and some days 2 at work.. When I get home then rest of evening I use to drink at least 2 or 3 glasses of  store brand ice tea when I ate.  Now I find myself barely drinking anything after dinner cause I feel so full. I forced myself last night to have a cup of decaf. tea.  I don't really know how much liquids I consume a day but don't think its enough... thanks for asking the question of water it will also help me...

spuddzy

NC_Reduction
on 1/21/11 3:04 am - Wendell, NC
Lap Band on 08/26/10 with
When you say drink water til your next meal does that mean next big meal like lunch or next snack?  I was told by my doc to eat snacks in between meals and if I do that then I will never drink enough water.
(deactivated member)
on 1/20/11 9:55 pm - Miramar Beach, FL
 You can drink as much water as you want, and as much at a time as you want *except* right after eating (30"-60" after eating).  

Before I got restriction, I could (and often would) chug an entire bottle of water.  Now I just sip, sip, sip.  Once you get restriction, you have to be very, very careful about drinking *anything* after eating, because if there is food trying to get through your stoma, and you drink water on top of it...BAM...pain!

Tami
JoMixx
on 1/20/11 9:58 pm - West Yarmouth, MA
Awesome! Thanks so much!  I am still swollen from the surgery so I have been sipping but I know I am not getting enough.  I was so afraid I was going to overfill my stomach.
pitablond
on 1/20/11 10:10 pm - Harrisburg, PA
I drink coffee in the mornings so my water intake starts around 9:30-10am.  I make myself drink at least 24oz between then and lunch.  I only have to wait 20 minutes to drink after eating but typically wait 30, which is when I drink another 24oz.   My daily goal is at least 72oz of water before I leave work at 4:30pm...it's like a game for me.  I have a 24oz container.  I have no problems with liquids and I use a straw...for some reason it seems like I drink faster with it...but that's probably just in my head!

~*Ashley*~ Highest weight: 330ish   Current weight: 198

JoMixx
on 1/20/11 10:15 pm - West Yarmouth, MA
Thanks for that advice!  I bought a 16oz sippie bottle I tried drinking from a straw the other day and felt like I was ingesting a golf ball of air!  I bet you do drink faster from a straw.
Most Active