second thoughts: advice/info requested

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/21/11 1:03 am - Mexico
Oh, btw... appeal your ins co to get the surgery type you want. Just because they say you need a 50BMI does not mean they will not pay for a sleeve if that is what you want. Post on the sleeve board and they will show you how to appeal.

Also, don't forget that many ins co's are opting for a once in a lifetime WLS policy. If you slip, erode, fail to lose weight, have no sweet spot, etc., and want to revise to another surgery type, you are more likely than not to be self pay.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Stephanie M.
on 1/21/11 1:04 am
I read the article you linked to and one thing that stood out was that no specific study was mentioned to back up the "facts".  The other thing was the mention that One of the devices that was removed had already eroded — raising concern about how long lap bands last  , this is a completely incorrect statement...the band itself doesn't erode, the stomach erodes, rarely (from the inside out) perhaps from ingesting NSAIDs or other unknown reasons...this just makes me suspect that the person who wrote this did not do their research...and if you look at the by-line, it is an OP-ED....
Many folks will point out studies that for them proves the band is ineffective and will try to get you to change your surgery to their chosen surgery...many of these studies are outdated.  You will have to do the work; manage your food intake, control your eating habits (small bites, small portions, and lots of chewing) and control your head hunger...

You will be ABLE to eat ice cream, cookies, chips etc....this is the part that many unsatisfied bandsters will call dieting...but you shouldn't eat these things except occasionally.  I have a very active social life and I do drink and eat when it is the ****tail hour, just less and with a plan.  When mealtime comes, I take whatever fits within my food plan and do not drink with my meal.  I begin drinking water about 45 min after eating...I don't feel deprived and I really look forward to social events for the people, not the food.

I don't eat bread as a rule and I cannot eat many of my favorite things, gnocchi, certain noodles, risotto....but I can wear my size 16 jeans!

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

vpurplej
on 1/21/11 3:18 am - Gray, GA
You go girl!

Brian L.
on 1/24/11 8:28 pm - Woodbridge, VA
VSG on 05/17/11 with
Thanks.  The problem is that indeed this was an Op-Ed, but it was a reaction to an earlier article which for some reason I couldn't find.   A friend sent me the link to that article (sorry, it's not handy right now), which then enabled me to find the actual study it was based on, and other European/Canadian studies as well.  It *does* seem that more evidence is appearing that the band fails for somewhere between 30 - 60% of people by about the 6th year.
Brian Leonard
Lake Ridge, VA

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/21/11 2:07 am - Mexico
What long term studies are there with the new band? None. Band makers and surgeons have been trying to get the band right for 40 years. Yes, 40. First it was the mesh band, then it was the non adjustable band, then it was VBG, then it was the small adjustable band, now it's the mega adjustable band and thus far, many docs will tell you that they are removing more bands than they are replacing.

My doc said that a few years ago bands were all the rage, everyone was getting one. The economy was better, people had insurance, life was good. Now, the economy is down, people have lost their insurance, they don't have the cash to go to their original surgeon and they are flocking to MX for band removals and revisions to other surgery types.

The band just isn't a great option for most people.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
Lisa O.
on 1/21/11 4:02 am - Snoqualmie, WA
I can't and won't get into a discussion on which surgery is best.  All I can speak to is my experience with the band and why I chose it. 

I chose the band becuase I didn't want a malabsorbtive proceedure.  The lifelong regime of vitamins just wouldn't work for me.  The band requires more regular maintenance, fills, unfills, etc. but for me it's just part of the process and I have insurance.

I've had my band for just over 2 years.  I lost 104 lbs in 9 months and fo the last year I've been goofing off but have maintained a WL of of 100+ lbs.  I have 35 lbs more that I'd like to lose. 

In regard to carbonation and ice cream:  I was a serious Diet Coke-a holic but gave it up pre surgery.  I was told that drinking carbonated beverages was not only not good for the band but that the artificial sweetners can make you crave sweets even more.  Amazingly, I haven't missed it.  I can eat ice cream but try to avoid it except for on special occasions because it's not a food I can control if I bring it into my house.  I like the Skinny Cow and that works for me but I limit those too becuase of the carbs.

With that said, at the time I was deciding on which surgery to have I probably would have had the Sleeve, but my insurance doesn't cover it.  The band requires fills to maintain the proper level of restriction and it takes several fills for the band to work at the optimal level which is different, btw, for each individual.  However, I love my band!  It's the tool I chose and I've managed to make it work for me just fine!

The band has been a God send for me.  But, I worked hard from the beginning to follow the rules, stuck to my Nuts plan for the first 9 months and completely changed not only how much I eat but what I eat.  I'm healthier and happier!

I hope you find peace in the decision you make in the end.  It's a crap shoot for all of us!

Best~
Lisa O. 

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Brian L.
on 1/24/11 8:31 pm - Woodbridge, VA
VSG on 05/17/11 with
Thank you, Lisa!  I have no doubt that the band can and does work for many, many people.  I'm glad it's been working so well for you, and keep on keeping on!
Brian Leonard
Lake Ridge, VA

Thundergrrrl
on 1/21/11 4:32 am
On January 21, 2011 at 7:39 AM Pacific Time, Brian L. wrote:
Hi--this is my first post here.  I am also posting this on the WLS graduates forum in hopes of getting a broader view.

I am scheduled to have lap-band surgery in four weeks.  However, yesterday, I learned some things that have caused me to have second thoughts about doing this:

1.  A friend pointed out this recent NY Times article (and then I found a relevant reaction to it) which casts doubt on the efficacy and safety of lap-band:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/12/opinion/12zuckerman.html?_ r=1&scp=1&sq=lap-band&st=cse

follow-up:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/20/opinion/lweb20obese.html?s cp=3&sq=lap-band&st=cse

2.  I had my initial visit with the dietitian and got some surprising info.  When I firwst started looking into bariatric surgery, 2 1/2 years ago, I attended some seminars, and all I heard about the lap-band and food restrictions was that eating "thick breads" might cause a problem.  However, the dietitian told me that I would never be able to drink carbonated beverages again, even low/no-calorie ones (and diet sodas are a mainstay with me), and that I would probably not be able to eat things like ice cream again, even as an occasional treat (which, over the years, I have managed to make it--just an occasional treat).

#1 and its implications bother me more than #2, but still I would be unhappy if I could *never* have an occasional treat or *never* drink diet soda again.  I would especially like to hear from anyone who has had a lap-band for more than 4 years.  Advice and comments from anyone are very welcome, of course.

Thanking you in advance,
Brian L.
Hi Brian,

I just read the articles your friend sent and it makes some decent points and there are plenty of people on this site who will tell you no way in hell would they get the band. It's ultimately our own choice and you've got to do what makes you comfortable. I have been banded just less than a year so I am still in my infancy but I know 100% that I could not have lost 90 lbs without it. I also am struggling to lose the final 30 lbs but I have been maintaining (actually losing very slowly) for the past couple of months without doing anything crazy...just living my normal life and practicing the typical band eating habits.

Regarding soda, yes, you are supposed to never again sip anything with carbonation. I have not since 2 weeks before surgery but I know several banded folks who do have an occassional diet coke.  This (no carbonation) is actually standard across all WLS as far as I know so if you feel your health or life is endangered enough to seek surgery then giving up soda may be one small cost.

Regarding ice cream, absolutely not true ! Your nutritionist may not like it but ice cream is one of the easiest things to eat with the band (thus why they don't want you to eat it.) It won't fill you up and is like instantly calories with no nutritional value but if you have a scoop once a month or even once a week and stick to the plan every other time, you're going to be fine.

I have been doing great with my band (for example, in 10 months I've lost 75% of my excess weight and my doctor says average is 30% at one year out) and I promise I have been lax more than my fair share of times in choosing the right foods. But being diligent 90% of the time and making sure you exercise are key.  If I lost my band tomorrow I would not regret having the surgery. Of course you'll find lots of people who feel differently.

Lastly, the band has been used for 20 years (or more) in a variety of forms from its original incarnation. There are certainly people out there who have had them more than a couple of years. I'd think that if everyone over the past 20 years who got banded ended up having it removed or gained all their weight back or had terrible complications, we'd hear about it. But I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist ;) 

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

Brian L.
on 1/24/11 8:34 pm - Woodbridge, VA
VSG on 05/17/11 with
Thanks!  Of course, not everyone will have problems with the band, but it really does seem that a very significant number of people do after 4-6 years.  Of course, that may be true for all WLS, but so far, I've only been researching the band.
Brian Leonard
Lake Ridge, VA

(deactivated member)
on 1/21/11 4:58 am - Miramar Beach, FL
 Hi Brian,

I read your articles, and I agree with many of the points in them.  I also question whether the benefits of bariatric surgery *of any kind* outweigh the risks...for people who are not obese.  I'm also not crazy about our insurance companies and medicare paying for surgery for people who are not obese, and who do not have co-morbid conditions.  I think this change is being pushed by people who will make $$ off the surgery, rather than doctors who feel it is in the patient's best interest.

However, for those who *are* obese, or *do* have co-morbid conditions, the lap band is an effective surgical choice.  I lost 120 lbs. within a year, and have maintained within my goal zone for over 3 years.  I haven't had any significant complications.  

On the other hand, I think the sleeve may also be a good bariatric choice.  I'd suggest researching it, and maybe even challenge the insurance company as others have suggested, *if* you decide it's the best surgery for you. 

When I had my surgery, the sleeve was not even on my radar.  I suppose it was being done in '06, but I'd never heard about it, and my doctors didn't perform it then.  I was self-pay, and opted for the band over RNY, which was my only choice that insurance would pay for at that time.  If I were having the surgery today, and if insurance covered both options, I might choose the sleeve.  If insurance covered RNY and the Band, but not the sleeve, I'd get the Band.  If insurance only covered RNY, then I would probably self-pay, but get the sleeve.  

Keep in mind that most "complications" that are included in the statistics are easily managed without additional surgery.  

Tami

Most Active