second thoughts: advice/info requested

Brian L.
on 1/20/11 11:39 pm - Woodbridge, VA
VSG on 05/17/11 with
Hi--this is my first post here.  I am also posting this on the WLS graduates forum in hopes of getting a broader view.

I am scheduled to have lap-band surgery in four weeks.  However, yesterday, I learned some things that have caused me to have second thoughts about doing this:

1.  A friend pointed out this recent NY Times article (and then I found a relevant reaction to it) which casts doubt on the efficacy and safety of lap-band:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/12/opinion/12zuckerman.html?_ r=1&scp=1&sq=lap-band&st=cse

follow-up:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/20/opinion/lweb20obese.html?s cp=3&sq=lap-band&st=cse

2.  I had my initial visit with the dietitian and got some surprising info.  When I firwst started looking into bariatric surgery, 2 1/2 years ago, I attended some seminars, and all I heard about the lap-band and food restrictions was that eating "thick breads" might cause a problem.  However, the dietitian told me that I would never be able to drink carbonated beverages again, even low/no-calorie ones (and diet sodas are a mainstay with me), and that I would probably not be able to eat things like ice cream again, even as an occasional treat (which, over the years, I have managed to make it--just an occasional treat).

#1 and its implications bother me more than #2, but still I would be unhappy if I could *never* have an occasional treat or *never* drink diet soda again.  I would especially like to hear from anyone who has had a lap-band for more than 4 years.  Advice and comments from anyone are very welcome, of course.

Thanking you in advance,
Brian L.
Brian Leonard
Lake Ridge, VA

Hermosa L
on 1/21/11 12:24 am
You can't have soda. No carbonation

second you can have ice cream some people find it difficult because it's cold make the band tighten up.. others it does not... ice cream is a slippery slope... anyhow I'm close to two years out and I have eaten ice cream, we don't dump on sugar like RNY.

I won't comment on question 1... there are ups and down to any WLS surgery you need to choose the best that fits you personally. When people ask me ..(because of progress) I don't sugar coat it.. its hard work... my band is truely a tool... I have to make the decision each day to make good choices not my band.. I have to exercise frequently and make sure I'm following the band rules.. not my band.. so it's really relying on yourself with the help of the band.

Good Luck
Brian L.
on 1/21/11 12:40 am - Woodbridge, VA
VSG on 05/17/11 with
Thank you very much, Hermosa!  I have always known that the band would be a tool that would *help* me make better choices--but that it would still be up to me.  There was a time in my life when I was exercising regularly and I think I can get back to that with few problems, but I am, frankly, worried about making the right food choices.

I'd love to get more responses...please join in!
Brian Leonard
Lake Ridge, VA

Hermosa L
on 1/21/11 2:51 am
There are pros and cons to everything .. what car are you going to buy a Honda or a Toyota.. etc.

You will get a million responses and they will all vary you need to make your decision based on what research you have done and what fits into your lifestyle.

Granted Lynn and Wasabubble have points they both lost weight with the band and suffered some issues and had revision surgery. There experiences are their own and they will inform about them.

My experience.. 100+ lost - had surgery almost 2 years ago :)
Lynn C
on 1/21/11 12:37 am

Brian - lapband provides the lowest overall weight loss, the highest regain and most long term complications. I didn't have time to check out your profile but if you have more than 75lbs to lose its really not a good option.

Soda/carbonation is a no no for most surgeries depending on who you talk to - some docs have no problem with diet soda. Ice cream and junk food should be avoided but to say you can never have it is BS.

I had my band removed due to late complications 5 days before my 5 year anniversary. I have a page full of studies on my blog that show the lapband is NOT effective for the vast majority of people - long term. Complications sky rocket at year 5. There are better choices. Visit the studies tab of my blog to read the studies.

Good luck!

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

Brian L.
on 1/21/11 12:47 am - Woodbridge, VA
VSG on 05/17/11 with
Thanks, Lynn!  I will definitely look carefully at your blog tonight.  I first heard about VSG at the seminar I attended two weeks ago and got excited about it--but my insurance won't cover it unless your BMI > 50.  Mine is 42, and I have about 110 - 130 lbs. to lose.
Brian Leonard
Lake Ridge, VA

Lynn C
on 1/21/11 1:22 am
You might find that submitting for the sleeve (if that is what you want) and appealing your denial may be all it takes to have the surgery that you want. There is no reason for them to restrict sleeves to BMI over 50 - it is the same as the band but permanent and less problematic. There is no intestinal bypass - are you sure its not the DS that they restrict (I have Cigna and they routinely approve sleeve, band and RNY for BMI 35 and up but do have a caveat for the DS that BMI must be above 50)

Good luck

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

Brian L.
on 1/24/11 8:14 pm - Woodbridge, VA
VSG on 05/17/11 with
Brian L.
on 1/24/11 8:16 pm - Woodbridge, VA
VSG on 05/17/11 with
It's definitely the sleeve (CareFirst BCBS).  I'm looking into the denial/appeal process--thanks!
Brian Leonard
Lake Ridge, VA

Lynn C
on 1/25/11 1:34 am

Congrats!! It might be a little fight but you should really get what you want and from what I've seen there are just more happy people with the sleeve than the band.

Good luck!

Lynn C ~

Most Active