Heartburn from swallowing pills??

tamiissunshine
on 1/20/11 11:28 pm - Halsey, OR
My band is not too tight for sure. I am currently on two kinds of antibiotics for cellulitis in my leg and I can swallow the capsules just fine and they don't get stuck. For the last 2 days, I have taken my last two pills at night right before bedtime and I have got some extreme heartburn. I am supposed to eat something with the pills or they make me sick, so I eat a little and wait about 30 minutes then take the pills so that I don't drink right after eating.  I tried tums and that doesn't do anything and I've tried a glass of milk and that does nothing. Do you think the heartburn is really from taking the pills?
Tami   "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me!" Philippians 4:13
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

robin304
on 1/21/11 12:01 am
I think so...I get heartburn if I dont eat something after I take my Zoloft at night..and  it is a little pill...try taking them with a cracker or something..good luck...Robin
tamiissunshine
on 1/21/11 4:11 am - Halsey, OR
Thanks!
Tami   "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me!" Philippians 4:13
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

marjane67
on 1/21/11 1:25 am
I wasn't banded at the time of my cellulitis but the levaquin antibiotic gave me heartburn and made me horribly nauseated to the point where I couldn't function.  I decided to cut them in half and spread out the times I was taking them and it helped immensley.  make sure its okay with your doctor; but I think it might make a difference.

MJ

tamiissunshine
on 1/21/11 4:12 am - Halsey, OR
I looked one of the pills up online and side effect is heartburn, so that's probably my issue.

Lisa O.
on 1/21/11 4:09 am - Snoqualmie, WA
It's very possible that the pills are just dissolving in your pouch and are not passing through.  If you're laying down gravity can't do it's part and if you keep decent restriction it's going to take time for them to pass anyway.  I had a similar situation where I irritated my band from taking NSaids for my lower back pain.  They irritated my esophagus and then everytime I ate acidic foods like tomato based products or coffee I would feel a burning sensation in my throat.  My Dr. prescribed OTC Prilosec, (or generic Omeprozole), for 2 weeks to HEAL the damage.  After that I was fine.  Tums will only help a little bit, but Prilosec and others will help more.  No matter what you take with your pills, it won't help if they are just dissolving in your stomach because you are laying down right after you take them.  Try taking them 1 hour before bed to see if that helps.

Best~
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

tamiissunshine
on 1/21/11 4:15 am - Halsey, OR
I found out that a common side effect from one of my antibiotics is heartburn, so maybe the combination between me going to sleep right after I take it and then the side effect itself is making it so extreme. I called the pharmacist *****commended Mylanta. I really have a feeling that's not going to do anything for me. Tums did nothing and Pepto did nothing. Maybe I will give Prilosec a try. I don't want to buy too many things just to have them not work.

Lisa O.
on 1/21/11 11:31 pm - Snoqualmie, WA
Trust me, use the Prilosec to heal the damage done or you'll end up with an unfill like I did.

Take care.

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Claudia G.
on 1/22/11 6:30 am
Thanks for this post. It is confirming something I rather feared.  My doctor just prescribed Diclofenac (an extended release NSAID) for my lower back pain.  I am on my 4th fill (and desperately needing another fill) and was able to swallow the pill (it is smaller than a dime).  As far as I can tell it has passed my top pouch but I know how hard that is to tell.  I've had things get stuck against the wall and could feel it but I can't feel this one right now.  I've been drinking water with no problems and can't taste anything in the back of the throat if that makes sense.  Are you still on the NSAID your doctor prescribed?  Can you possibly recommend an NSAID that is crushable or something comparable? 

Thanks again for the great post. 
Please visit my blog on my progress and recipes at
http://souleating.wordpress.com/
robin304
on 1/21/11 5:00 am
I think Lisa O is on to something about taking the pills at night...never thought about laying down right after taking the med...doh! lol...My zoloft is tiny tiny....so its not getting stuck..but just dissolving in the pouch....
Most Active