Pre op diet

angeleyes24b
on 1/19/11 8:42 am - NJ
Does anyone have any suggestions about the pre op diet... I start my pre-op diet on 2/3 and i am so afraid that i am gonna be starving... and i was just wondering on some food ideas....helppp..
airhead_74
on 1/19/11 8:50 am
DS on 08/20/12
I was allowed protein shakes and clear liquids for the two weeks preop. It asn't as bad as I thought it would be. The protein drinks are filling. I chose SF Carnation Instant Breakfast as my drink. Protein drinks are filling. My biggest problem was that I got tired of sweets. So I drank bouillion to get a little taste of salt every now and then. Just keep reminding yourself why you are doing it and follow your nutritionists reccommendations and you will do great.
j.johnson26
on 1/19/11 9:37 am - FL
 i wish i could do carnation drinks.. my surg is gna make me use optifast they supply for $100 a week!
marypatf
on 1/19/11 11:03 am
 You can't use what you want? That is not fair... 
I was able to have what I wanted... 
HW-272, PreOp Diet Start-269, SurgWeight-256,                                               CurrentWeight 189. 

JoMixx
on 1/19/11 9:26 am - West Yarmouth, MA

It's really not that bad! I started my 2 week preop diet the day after Christmas and my surgery was on 1/6.  You will find that after the first few days, your stomach kind of stops contesting.  My doc allowed 3 protein drinks, 3 yogurts or cottage cheese, 3 sf fudgesicles, unlimited sf popsicles, and broth.  4:00 is my hard time of day for food so I made sure that I was distracted at 4 or not alone.  I was so satisfied, I did not cheat once!

You will be fine! I promise its mind over matter and just remember it's worth it! 

Surgery 1/6/11 , 14ml band - 0ml fill      
airhead_74
on 1/19/11 9:53 am
DS on 08/20/12
My nutritionist recommended trying a few different drinks before hand to see which one I liked best. Fortunately I loved the Carnation IB and it was inexpensive. I wasn't tempted to eat either. I feared what would happen if I did. Jello, broth & popcicles (all sugar free) helped me through it. Remember to avoid things with red food coloring close to your surgery date as it can be mistaken for blood.

Lap Band with Greater Curvature Plication 1/10/11, Conversion to DS 8/20/12 

KathyS39
on 1/20/11 4:59 am - St Pete Beach, FL
My surgeon had me on Optifast for 2 weeks pre-op.  The only exceptions were sugar free jello and sugar free popsicles.  For the first 3 days I was soooooo hungry but come day 4, it was like a normal way of life.  You do get used to it.  I work in a restaurant and I made it through the 3 month qualification diet and the 2 week pre-op diet.  You will do great.  As my step-daughter kept telling me, "Keep your eye on the prize".
Kathy Allen

Most Active