1st fill but can still eat a lot

pakmak95
on 1/19/11 4:00 am - Leander, TX
Hi.  I'm new to this forum and was wondering if someone can let me know if my situation is normal.

I just went in for my first fill (4cc) after a full 5 weeks healing from Lapband surgery.  I expected to be a lot "tighter" and sat down for my lunch after drinking 3 oz of a Pure Protein whey drink (25 gr Protein).  After eating 4 oz of cold Greek yogurt I felt no different than when the band was empty.  So I had 3 oz of cold avocado and a half cup of cold NF cottage cheese, and still nothing.  I expected the cold foods to tighten my band but still felt hungry. ( Mind you, I drank 8 cups of water with lemon that morning and didn't have any breakfast.)  A few minutes later I heated up some soup and drank 2 cups of 98% fat free mushroom soup mixed with some chopped spinach.  Felt a bit full but nothing dramatic. 

I have a 10cc lapband (normal size) and told my doctor that I was feeling quite hungry and could eat a lot.  He said he only adds 4cc the first fill, but I think it wasn't enough to make a difference.  I had gained 1 lb in the 4 weeks since I'd seen him last and am concerned that I will not get enought restriction to make a difference in my appetite control/weight loss efforts.  Yes, I run on my treadmill and lift weights, do yoga, and drink plenty of water.  I'm premenstrual so this week I expect to be very hungry -- always am.  But is it okay to call the doc and request an additional fill after a week if this feels like nothing has changed?

I'd really appreciate your input!
Lyss Remaly
on 1/19/11 4:08 am - Wheeling, IL
hey! I recently had a revision from band to DS but I had a band for 6 years.  Does your doctor have you do clear liquids for 24-48 hours after a fill?  If you do the clear liquids your stomach goes down in swelling and it will be easier for the food to go down... also try eating more bulkier foods... chicken, any kind of meat...stuff like that... staying away from liquid calories that just slip through the band... food thats a little bulkier will take longer to pass through the band.

I hope this helps!

Lyss
pakmak95
on 1/19/11 4:28 am - Leander, TX
pakmak95
on 1/19/11 4:29 am - Leander, TX
I had my first fill TODAY! 
Elouise
on 1/19/11 4:33 am - United Kingdom
 Hi i just had my first refill 6 days ago and stright after i was able to eat a whole sandwich and i new that was anough even though i did not fill full so i didnt eat any more and i only had 4cc put into my band and the next day i couldnt eat as much and on the 3rd day i could hardley eat any thing i think it must take a couple of days for the liquid to go from the port to the band. ohh btw stay away from dried fruiet i had got a tiny pice of apple stuck and was in pain for 2 days almost took myself to hospital. good luck hope that yours gets tight atfer a couple of days like mine has
(deactivated member)
on 1/19/11 4:36 am - Modesto, CA
It's absolutely normal not to feel any restriction from the first fill.  It took me 4-5 fills before I felt anything.  Be patient.  Also, most doctors won't do another fill so quickly after one because for some people it takes a week or so for the fill to kick in.

cat
Debbie107
on 1/19/11 7:17 am - CA
I had my first fill in December, and felt the restriction right away. I had to go back to soft foods for 24-48 hours as well. I started eating solids and felt the full feeling the first day. It's been about a month, and just this week I am not feeling the "full" feeling as much. I am going in a for another fill in mid Feb so I am interested to see what happens. I don't know how much of a fill I got. I was nervous as it was my first fill, I forgot to ask.

Good luck. Keep up the great work!
grannymedic1
on 1/19/11 8:06 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
It is rare for a first fill to give restriction. I was one of the odd ones. Usually it takes a few. As someone else said it can take up to 3 weeks to have a fill kick in. I am required to do 24-48 hours of liquids after then 24-48 hours of mushies. The reason for this is that we may have irritated tissue leading to swelling. My surgeons office also told me it is a good idea in order to prevent slips.

While you are waiting to get restriction, or better put as satiety, you can truly eat more. But, should you? You have to decide for yourself if you want to be losing weight now. The other thing I noted was that after eating you had some soup. That will actually interfere with satiety, as does drinking with your meal. Most of us were told that we should wait 1/2-1 hour after eating to have any liquids since they flush the food through the pouch faster and therefore cause you to be hungry sooner.

When you have enough fill you will be able to eat 1 cup of food, or 1-4 oz. of dense protein and some veggies and not have hunger pains for 3-5 hours. It won't stop you from eating more. It won't make you feel "full". Just that satiety and lack of true hunger for that amount of time.

It is a real learning experience getting used to all of this, but you will be fine.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

Most Active