Johnsmommy09
on 1/19/11 9:41 am - Redford, MI
Hi Everyone! My name is Heather and I was banded on 12-21-10!  The first few days was rough but after that everything is going good. Except I can tell I have some food restriction but I was exspecting way more restriction.  I haven't be able to fully sleep on my stomach yet because I am still a little sore.  I have a few questions. My husband said I will fill more restrictions with I get my frist fill. When I get my frist fill is this when I might feel things get stuck because I haven't had that problem yet. How long did you take off of work. I will be going back to work this next week and still feel a little tender. I am a nurses aid and I do a lot of lifting and I'm scared :(  At my 2 week check up I lost 5 lbs. They were impressed by that they said usually people don't loose before there first fill is that right?
I'm excited for this new journey and I hope I can loose at least 60 lbs by May :)
Kate -True Brit
on 1/19/11 9:51 am, edited 1/19/11 7:12 pm - UK

Welcome!

Many, if not most, people do not get restricition until after several fills.

Getting stuck is not inevitable and can/should be avoided. it will almost certainly happen to some degree a few times as you learn to eat with your band.

A week off work is probably the most common length of time BUT you need to check about lifting - that may well be different.

60lbs by May is possible but ambitious- it is only about 3 1/2 motnhs until May!  It is quite usual only to lose between 5 and about 8 lbs a month.  I always believe that setting fairly tight goals with deadlines is a bit dangerous! If you don't achieve it, will you feel a failure? Might be a good idea either to take away the date or to aim for less and be excited if you lose more! 30lbs is perhaps more realistic - and if you lose more you will feel very positive rather than feeling disappointed!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

cheyenne000
on 1/19/11 10:09 am
VSG on 03/25/16
Welcome Heather

Lapband - Jan 2009 weight goal reached with lapband. Revised to VSG- 1/25/16

Tiff tells all
on 1/20/11 2:45 am - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19
Yeah Heather! Welcome.

the swelling left over from the surgery should have subsided by now, so you might be feeling a little restriction. There are a few precious and lucky few that don't get fills for a few months because the band alone is enough pressure to help them lose the weight.

It's true that quite a few people between recovery and that first fill actually gain a little of that preop weight they fought so hard to lose. It's just part of the process.

I also think 60 lbs by May is a bit of a crazy expectation. That's not to say you can't do it, but I sure as hell couldn't. You'll have to work out like crazy and watch every morsel. Best of luck to you. Remember that the average is a 1-2 lbs loss a week AFTER they've reached restriction. Keep that in mind. This is usually a slow process.

Welcome to the club.

Tiff

Current MD- Dr. Mikami, Honolulu Hawaii

Lapband 14cc AP Lg in 2008- slipped and removed 2016 -VSG July 21, 2016-dx Gerd

** RNY Revision 05/21/2019 **

"A few drops of hope can water and nourish our garden" - Jean M

Most Active