For the Love of Trying New Things

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/11 5:44 am
I've always been one of those people that gravitate to the same old same old in almost everything.  Restaurants, clothing, shoes, cars, household items -- EVERYTHING.

It's dawned on me that the last few months, I've been having the desire to try new stuff. For me this is monumental! I actually bought a red purse a while back. At lunch today I ordered TWO new things, and have been wanting to try a few new decorating ideas at home. 

This is so exciting and an unexpected side benefit of developing more confidence as a result of my band!

Have any of you experienced wanting to do/try lots of new things?  I mean, who would've thought it would be as far reaching as home decorating? What does THAT have to do with weight loss :)

Trixie
(deactivated member)
on 1/19/11 6:12 am - Miramar Beach, FL
 What does home decorating have to do with weight loss?  I think that after losing a lot of weight, we open our eyes and lives to new things.  When I was obese, I sort of coasted through life, basically living from one meal to the next.  Losing weight was like having a dense fog lift from around me, allowing me to see myself, my wardrobe, my house, my habits in a whole new light.  

Enjoy!

Tami
grannymedic1
on 1/19/11 7:49 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
I have been amazed at the types of new things I would like to try, like zip line and when I bought a bike at age 60. I have also gotten more daring with my clothing choices, not more sexy, but different lines, necklines, colors, styles, etc. It seems that I frequently come up with something I would never have considered before.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

Kate -True Brit
on 1/19/11 9:42 am - UK

Yes, oh yes!  It is all about self-confidence and no longer feeling embarrassed to "stand out". What have I done since losing weight that I would never have done before?

I went red haired (briefly) and then blonde (that stayed!)
Went to an expensive counter in a dept store, got made up and then  bought all the make up!
Bought bright accessories (like your purse!)
Ridiculous high heeled shoes
Went abseilng (do you call it something like rapelling?)
Went quad biking

I argue with people (in the nicest possible way! What I mean is I don't let shopkeepers talk me out of things or let tradesmen get away with things!)

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/11 9:48 am - Des Moines, IA
When the weather gets out of the single digits, I want to try snowshoeing and cross country skiing.  I did go ice skating a few months ago and haven't done that in about 10 years! 

I also want to rock climb, never done that.  My daughter works at a climbing gym and was on the team and now is on the adult climbing team.  I actually was brave enough to put the climbing harness on and I learned to belay for her as she climbed.  I never thought I would ever get a climbing harness on or let anyone see it on me, so that was a big step.  I want to try climbing and I will.  Just have to be able to tolerate the very tight climbing shoe that's required.

So I understand what you are saying Trixie!  What fun to have new confidence! 
Most Active