Food Plan Post Op Phases

Sapphire1964
on 1/19/11 7:56 am
Hi there.  I have a question - I received a 4 phase food prep plan to follow for one month in stages after the band.  But other than the foods you can begin to integrate, it doesn't give you any portion sizes...is that what you have received?  If you have something more definitive, could you share it with me?  I don't know if you are supposed to worry about portions until you start the last phase, which is meats, but wanted to get a feel for what others have been given as guidelines and what you are doing.  Would love to hear from you with ideas and/or sharing of your plans to see how you were advised.  I went to a surgical center and they have a nutritionist on staff, but the paperwork they gave doesn't really give you much info to go by.  Thank you!
fairy_kissez
on 1/19/11 8:59 am - Albuquerque, NM
I don't remember any portion requirements but I measured everything. I made sure that I had 1/2 cup and then stopped. The first months after the band your stomach is healing and you don't want to do anything to irritate the band. Hope that helps and congrats on getting banded.

~Jen

lapband in 2008 at 298lbs , lowest weight was 183lbs , Band almost killed me and removed in 2011. No revison because to much damage for revision.

Anti Lap-band advocate!

OzzieGirl
on 1/19/11 9:14 am - NY
Lap Band on 11/16/10 with
I'm only 9 weeks post, so I just happen to have my food phase papers handy! Phase 1 was Full Liquids (1/4 to 1/2 cup for three meals plus 1 snack). Phase 2 was Blended Foods (1/2 cup and 1 or 2 oz of a pureed veg for 3 meals plus 1 snack). Phase 3 was Soft Foods (1/2 cup or 3 oz for 3 meals, 1 snack w/ 1 oz of protein plus a protein shake). Phase 4 is Regular Foods ( same portions as above just more variety and shake can be substituted for a protein bar w/ 200 calories or less and at least 10 grams of protein).

Hope this helps!
OzzieGirl             
Sapphire1964
on 1/19/11 9:38 am
Thx for the info it does provide me some standards to go by!

RNY 04/05/04
BOB 12/30/10 (Band over Bypass)  

steelerfan1
on 1/19/11 11:33 am
Everybody doc is different on how they do things :o) 

Mine was like this .

The first week after surgery

protein shake starting second day breakfast, lunch and dinner and between meals 2 oz
crystal ligh****er and chicken broth as much as I wanted and could handle

Second week

I moved to full liquids, yogurt, pudding, cream of soups no chunks,  and everything from week one

Weeks one and two I had no limits on anything drink and eat as much as I wanted. Which usually for me was about a 1/2 cup every 3 hrs or so of soup .

Week 3

This was the puree stage , mashed tators, refried beans, anything that you can puree .  I did not do to well on this stage the thought of pureeing meats just grossed me out lol.  I ate alot of mashed tators and refried beans this week.  This is when I started my cup per meal  protein shakes 2 times a day 8oz each

Week four

any kind of soft foods, nothing hard, nothing crunchy,  applesauce, eggs, cottage cheese , everything from week 3 and I also added turkey sausage  .  this is the stage that I started no drinking 30 min before during and after  and one cup of food per meal.   1/2 cup of protein cut up how you are going to eat it, 1/4 cup of veggies and 1/4 cup of veggies or carbs your choice

No more protein shakes you should be getting your protein by foods now

Week 5
anything I wanted that I could  handle 

Now I follow this

70-85 grams of protein a day
50 or less carbs per day I can go as high as 65 per doc
50 grams or less of fat per day

I stay around 800-1200 calories per day.  I do not have a set amount of calories some days they are low and some days they are high it just depends on what I am doing for the day :o)

Hope this helps you out some !!

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Lisa O.
on 1/20/11 12:40 am - Snoqualmie, WA
You're going to get a ton of different opinions on this one because there is no standard protocol.  I would recommend asking your surgeon or better yet the Nutritionist in his office if he has one.  They are the ones managing your aftercare so it's always a good idea to follow what they recommend until you get a better feel for living with the band. 

Protein is the most important thing to track at this point.  Make sure you are getting no less than 60-80 grams per day.

When I was on liquids I wasn't limited to an amount as long as the calories came from Protein shakes and everything else we zero calorie or near zero.  The more you can drink the fuller you'll stay during this challenging phase.

After that, as a general rule of thumb I'd do 1/2 cup portions 3-6 times a day and start tracking your food choices now.  You need to start learning about what you are putting in to your body.  Calories, protein, carbs/sugars if you are carb sensitive.  I recommend the Daily Plate.com.  It's a great tool for tracking calories and it totals all the nutritional values as well.  They have a great data base already established so you can type in any food and they will have the details you need to add it to your daily menu.

Keep asking great questions!

Best~
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Most Active