Is the Sleeve Plication the Latest and greatest? Better than Band and Sleeve?

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/11 6:17 am, edited 1/19/11 6:19 am - ~Somewhere in~, PA

Is this the procedure that I've been waiting to get?
It's new and they are still getting the kinks out of it, from the article it mentions that it has less complications risks than the Band and the Sleeve, and produces fast and intense weight loss without complication risks such as band slippage, erosion or life threatening leaks the Sleeve can have after surgery or years out and the stomach is NOT removed.

http://www.inspire.com/HealthTraveler/journal/bariatric-time s-reports-on-latest-gastric-sleeve-plication-clinical-trial/

Is this the surgery that I've been waiting on , if it claims what is suppose to be, although I am very content with my band, I could see revising over to something like this, IF I were to get a revision some day,  it seems a lot safer than the Sleeve, you get the best of both worlds restriction with fast weight loss and no complication risks.-- whatcha think , I will be watching this and see how it matures, it says it is the fasting growing weight loss surgery there is.

Bariatric Times Reports on Latest Gastric Sleeve Plication Clinical Trial

I was very happy to find this link to day to a result of a clinical study in the Bariatric Times, (reference this link: http://mytinyurl.net/fd8efc) on gastric sleeve plicaiton.

The Bariatric times is an online journal that reports the Clinical Developments and Metabolic Insights in Bariatric Patient Care. Today a group of Brazilian surgeons reported on surgical results after tracking post-operative outcomes for 66 patients (44 female) who had the gastric sleeve plication procedure between January '07 and Mach '10.

Mean patient age was 34, with a mean BMI of 35. Follow-up visits for the assessment of safety and weight loss were scheduled for 1 week and 1, 3, 6, 12, 18, and 24 months in the postoperative period.

Gastric sleeve plication is a weight loss procedure that is also referred to as gastric imbricaiton or laparoscopic greater curvature plication (LGCPâ„¢).

There are two restrictive techniques in bariatric surgery: adjustable gastric banding (Lap Band) and vertical sleeve gastrectomy (gastric sleeve). Gastric sleeve is a restrictive surgical technique that involves resection (cutting, removal) of up to 80% of the stomach by means of stapling the greater curvature of the stomach. Though a smaller proportion of overall weight loss procedures performed are gastric sleeves, it is the fastest growing bariatric procedure, with good results on weight loss. Adjustable gastric banding is less invasive than sleeve gastrectomy, with successful but less rapid weight loss.

Gastric sleeve plicaiton is a restrictive bariatric surgical technique that eliminates the complications associated with adjustable gastric banding and vertical sleeve gastrectomy -- it does this by creating restriction without the use of implants and without gastric resection (cutting) and staples.

Though both band and sleeve are increasingly common (more than 200,000 Americans had weight loss surgery in 2009, a more than 10x increase in just 5 years), they are not without sometimes significant complications, such as erosion or slippage of the gastric band or gastric leaks in VSG.

Leaks and fistulas are reported in nearly one percent of cases and can be very difficult to treat; leaks in particular are a difficult challenge and can generate severe clinical conditions that require reoperation.

Though gastric banding is less invasive with fewer risks for complication, weight loss is often not satisfactory, with nearly 25 percent of patients requiring surgical revision. Another benefit to gastric sleeve plication is the fact that the stomach remains 'virgin' thus eliminating some of the more difficult issues encountered in revisoin bariatics.

Is Gastric Sleeve Plication Better Than Lap Band?

The authors of Bariatric Times study present gastric sleeve plication as an alternative procedure that can be as restrictive as sleeve gastrectomy with no staple line or prostheses.

The stomach is reduced by dissecting the greater omentum and short gastric vessels, as in vertical sleeve gastrectomy; the greater curvature is then� invaginated: using multiple rows of nonabsorbable suture over bougie to ensure a patent lumen.

Outcomes for of Gastric Sleeve Plicaton

Initial clinical reports demonstrate satisfactory weight loss up to three years, and the study reported in this issue of Bariatric Times has similar findings for weight loss with the lowest early complication rates among all bariatric procedures. No major complications were reported among the 66 patients; endoscopic findings suggest that the greater curvature fold gets smaller over time, potentially due to reduction of initial edema. Weight loss was satisfactory, and favorably compared with results from VSG.

More Updates On Gastric Sleeve Plicaiton: Crospon, a medical device company, recently announced the EndoFlip, a device that visually guides surgical sizing of the sleeve duirng the gastric sleve plication procedure in what some are calling the perfect marriage between a new proceudre and a new technology, in which the patient reaps significant benefit with reduced risks of complication and excellent weight loss outcomes.

Crospon recently announced that the Hospital Angeles, in Tijuana, Mexico under the control of Dr. Juan Antonio Lopez Corvala and his team will be conducting training on the Gastric Sleeve Plication surgical technique in early June using the Crospon EndoFLIP to create the sleeve during the procedure, working with American patients.

Weight Loss with Gastric Plication vs. Gastric Band
In comparison to the published results from gastric banding studies, weight loss after Gastric Sleeve Plication comes sooner and is more intense, at the same time interval.

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/11 6:32 am - Miramar Beach, FL
 I'm been hearing a lot about Sleeve Plication recently, and it does sound like it may be a "bigger, better mousetrap".  Basically, instead of cutting the stomach and stapling it shut, they create the same kind of sleeve by folding the stomach over on itself, and suturing it in place.  Since there's no cutting of the stomach, you get the benefits of a sleeve without the post-surgical risks.  I expect we'll be hearing a lot more about it in the next few months, and fully expect a new OH forum dedicated to it.  Of course, as with any new surgery, only time will tell what the long-term results are, and how quickly the medical field and insurance industry catch up!

Tami
(deactivated member)
on 1/19/11 8:10 pm, edited 1/19/11 8:13 pm - ~Somewhere in~, PA
Tami, I like the way you put it "bigger better mousetrap" , I am very interested to see studies and to see how well people are doing with it. I've always said if there is something bigger safer and better comes along, I would revise over, but as of yet nothing has been more safer and effective than the band -UNTIL maybe this
airhead_74
on 1/19/11 8:41 am
DS on 08/20/12
Because of my weight my surgeon felt it would be too risky to perform the RNY at this time. So we decided on the lap band in combination with th greater curvature plication. It is still experimental but he has studied the plication proceedure for quite some time, There is less risk of leakage because they use sutures instead of staples and it is considered minimally invasive. It makes you stomach approximately 2/3 smaller. My surgery was 1/10/11 and so farthe only side effect I've has is nausea. Once I lose enough weight with this proceedure they can perform the RNY.

This link will take you to a video about the proceedure.
 https://weightloss.clevelandclinic.org/WhatisBariSurg1.aspx

This link will take you to another article about the proceedure,
https://weightloss.clevelandclinic.org/gastricplication.aspx
(deactivated member)
on 1/19/11 9:22 am - Miramar Beach, FL
You have a lap-band *and* a sleeve, and have gastric bypass planned?  Surely, you are one of a kind!  I sincerely hope you do so well with the band/sleeve that RNY is not even necessary!

Thanks for sharing the links. I didn't realize that the stomach is actually folded inside itself in the Sleeve Plication. On another thread, one of the posters wondered about having a "blind" stomach, which couldn't be viewed during a scope.  Obviously, with the inverted fold into the stomach, that shouldn't be an issue.

So, they are actually performing the sleeve plication at Cleveland Clinic?  Is it available to anyone, or do you have to be accepted into a clinical trial?  Please, please keep us posted both with your personal experiences, and what you hear about the procedure at your clinic.

Best wishes to you!

Tami
(deactivated member)
on 1/19/11 8:12 pm - ~Somewhere in~, PA
Wow! You got the band and plication, now that is very interesting, please keep us posted on how you are doing, I am wishing you much success with your weight loss, hopefully you won't have to get the bypass to continue losing, I am crossing my fingers for you. Thanks for the links.
airhead_74
on 1/19/11 9:48 am
DS on 08/20/12
My surgeon wanted to do the sleeve but my insurance would not cover it. So we went to plan B. The lap band with plication. Plication is still experimental and combining the two is quite new.I've been told by one of the doctors thatI'm their poster child lol Yes they do it at the Cleveland Clinic. They have an amazing program there with the best staff. I am not in a trial. The way we did it was to submit to insurance for the lap band only. My surgery was on 1/10/11. I gained 4 lbs during my hospital stay. I was on clear liquids only so that surprised me.I'm told that was due to the iv fluids. I will see my nutritionist next Tuesday. Hopefully I will have some weight loss to report then. I did manage to lose 102 pounds in the 6 months pre op. Thatis thanks to my wonderful nutritionist, the program at Clevland Clinic and tracking my food on this site.

Lap Band with Greater Curvature Plication 1/10/11, Conversion to DS 8/20/12 

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/11 7:59 pm

Just the other day, I heard from a friend of ours who is son was a neurosurgeon that the Cleveland Clinic in one of the best places in the country to have a surgery done as far as top notch expertise.   Best of luck to you!

airhead_74
on 1/19/11 9:52 pm
DS on 08/20/12
That's why I went there. I worked with OSU hospital for over two years. After all that time I was told I would need to lose 170 pounds before the surgeon would even see me. And they offered no help or support. From dealing with them all that time I lost all confidence in them.

I saw a commercial for Cleveland Clinic and I called them up. They were wonderful. A very well put together program with lots of support and guidance. The best doctors for my surgery. I had total faith in them. I live just over three hours away from Cleveland but the drive and travel time has been so worth it. I started seeing them in June and got my surgery last week. I highly reccommend them to anyone who is looking into WLS.

Lap Band with Greater Curvature Plication 1/10/11, Conversion to DS 8/20/12 

Connie_J7
on 1/19/11 9:06 pm, edited 1/19/11 9:07 pm
Hmmm..

Here is a link to a site that will be hosting WEBINARS on the subject... the site also gives you a little diagram of what it looks like.... ( once you click the link, scroll down to see the diagram )

http://www.angeleshealth.com/procedures/weight-loss/webinar- for-gastric-sleeve-plication.aspx

Surgery Date: 1-28-08. Small AP Band.
Starting Weight: 255
Current Weight: 243
Goal Weight: 150

Starting Over Again and Taking It One Day At A Time!

Most Active