Spoiled by my own success

Thundergrrrl
on 1/18/11 2:34 am
I'm sorry, I'm not trying to brag or anything of the sort. I actually wanted to make a real point here.

I keep finding myself being impatient and taking for granted that I "should" be losing at an incredibly fast rate because I've been pretty lucky and successful so far. Seeing the struggles of people who have been banded 2 or 3 times longer than me and are still working every day to get to their goal is something I need to see and take to heart. 

Just because I have been able to lose quickly for the first 10 months post op doesn't mean my body gaurantees to keep doing that. These last 30lbs or so might be harder than the first 90 and I might have to fight for another year or 2 to make it happen. I certainly don't want that to be the case but I realize I've been spoiled by my good fortune thus far and no one ever promised me it was going to be easy.

Thank you to the "slow losers" who are so inspiring. I don't know what I'd do if I had been been working this hard and only lost half of what I have now. I don't think I'm determined enough to keep it up in the face of stalls and plateaus but I guess I'm going to have to learn to be if I actually want to make it to my goal.

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

(deactivated member)
on 1/18/11 3:01 am
Hang in there, statistically the last pounds come off the hardest. You have a good track record of doing all  the right things to lose, so if it takes longer, it just does. You are so much healthier and happier now as a result of your weight loss so just try enjoying basking in that feeling.

Trixie
Thundergrrrl
on 1/18/11 3:53 am
Thanks for the optimism. My biggest hurdle is just believing it'll happen.

Lisa O.
on 1/18/11 3:58 am - Snoqualmie, WA
Keep the faith!  It can happen.

I in the same place trying to lose the last 25 lbs I actually gained some weight.  I had to step back and seriously assess where I am and not only WHERE I want to go but WHY.

I just recently wrote an article for Jean M.'s Newsletter called "Keeping the Momentum".  If you're not currently getting her newsletter, p.m. her and ask to be put on the list.  It's awesome.

Stay focused.  I too was a fast loser and the second year was really tough.  Learn from the mistakes I made and make a plan now to keep your focus if you really need to lose more weight.

Best~
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Thundergrrrl
on 1/18/11 4:11 am
Thanks Lisa.  You're right of course. I'm going to get on Jean's list so I can make sure to read your article too.

Jean M.
on 1/18/11 8:52 am
Revision on 08/16/12

You're right...it's not reasonable to expect the last few pounds to disappear as quickly as the earlier ones did...but who knows? Just keep on doing what you're doing...something must be working!

The newsletter with Lisa's Keeping the Momentum article can be found here:

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=aifyj4dab &v=001o5JO1J1Zcgv_AdZvTPO56ktzcQCZnuCYdfLoP_bETm2b_0lCtltW2M vRARyH7VcofN1c-mvoRP-YxkrnAGnNZuMKrb2dwI1nGqvrfRrZQWW_nG50rz KbtLn_hPcb_C6XZYW6lc3uf9A%3D

To get on the mailing list (free), click on the Subscribe to Our Newsletter block on the lefthand side of the newsletter.

Good luck!
Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

rainbow_runner
on 1/18/11 5:10 am

But, the thing is, this journey will NEVER be over for us.  Never.  I, too, was losing 10-12 lbs per month in the beginning, and have slowed right down to 4 or 5 a month, sometimes less.  It doesn't bother me one iota.  Originally I had hoped to be at goal by May, but have now revised to September (when I am planning a trip to South Africa!).  I feel better than I have in years and finally feel "normal" again.  I can live with normal until my final goal is reached.  And then I know I'm going to maintaining for the rest of my life.  So if it takes me another 6 months to a year or even longer to get to that final scale victory, that's perfectly okay.  I'm in this for the rest of my life, not just "until the diet and exercising ends."  And MAN that feels good!

Thundergrrrl
on 1/18/11 5:17 am
I wish I could have that attitude. I try. It's just very hard to not see this as something where I will feel better and relieved once I've made it "there." I know intellectually it's a lifelong and constant journey but in my 25 years I never successfully lost any weight so losing what I have and continuing to lose over 10 months is a major accomplishment but also I've never been confronted with this part of the process before.

rainbow_runner
on 1/18/11 11:08 am

"but also I've never been confronted with this part of the process before. "

Yes, and that's why we take it one day at a time.  We've all lost weight (LOTS of weight) many, many times before.  It's only natural to wonder whether THIS will be the time that it "sticks".  That's one of the main reasons, in fact, why I didn't tell most people when I had the surgery - I was afraid of failing again (and I think that is a very common thought among us) and having to answer for yet another failure.

Well, Thundergrrrl, I'm tellin ya, YOU are a success story.  Practice some cognitive thinking - get out and ride or go for a long, hard walk and give yourself a good talking to.  You've done brilliantly with this thing and you are going to continue to do brilliantly.  Six months from now you are going to wake up and be at goal and realize that you have eased yourself into a permanently healthy, happy, active lifestyle.  The way I see it, the longer it takes to reach goal the more ingrained all the new, good habits we've learned will have become.  Sure, there will always be the head games we play with ourselves when it comes to food, but you have the best tool that will always help you have the upper hand, if you let it.  Work that band, girl, and you WILL succeed!

(deactivated member)
on 1/18/11 7:24 am - Des Moines, IA
I understand what you are saying.  I'm at a point where I am so much healthier, feel great, exercising 6 days a week and I could go on and on....  so I'm happy where I am, but I feel like I might as well lose these last 20 some pounds and then maintain.  I know why I haven't lost much or just maintained over the last 4-5 months, it's me eating more than I need to.  In the past prior to the band I lost large amounts of weight, but never, ever maintained for more than a day, so I'm thrilled to know that with the band,  when I am ready to maintain, it is something that I can do.  I know if I honestly journal every bite, I do so much better, it just takes a few minutes a day. 

It does slow down for some towards the end, but some have the strength to keep working the band until they get to goal.  So it takes patience and strength.  We are never "done" until we die, so keep fighting the fight against obesity. 
Most Active