Exercise...port pain?

Huggles13151
on 1/16/11 9:48 pm - Northwood, OH
How long before you can feel comfortable exercising? I was banded on Jan 10th and for the six months prior to that I've been doing water aerobics and aqua jogging 5 days a week. Since my surgery It's uncomfortable when I move the wrong way and I get pain near my port site. I know it's probably swollen and will take time. I was just wondering if anyone has an idea of how long I can expect the pain to last.

Jean M.
on 1/16/11 10:52 pm
Revision on 08/16/12
What instructions did your surgeon give you about exercising?

Mine told me to start walking every day immediately after surgery, but no other type of exercise until 8 weeks post-op. He didn't want me putting too much strain on my sutures.

I don't remember exactly how long it took for my port pain to disappear after my band surgery - maybe 2-3 weeks? And years later, I still experience port site discomfort occasionally when I do a lot of exercise focusing on my abdominal muscles.

At only one week post-op, I think your port pain is normal. Aqua jogging should be OK, but I would avoid the aqua aerobics for a few more weeks.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Diane W.
on 1/16/11 11:04 pm
Revision on 08/10/12
So sorry you are in pain.  My surgeon also said to wait 6 weeks before any water exercise because of the incisions.  I was instructed to walk 1/2 mile the first week, then 1 mile and increase to at least 2 miles per day until six weeks.  Then I was allowed in the pool. 
Most Active