Did anyone have Medicare and get the lapband...

Pamela B.
on 1/17/11 12:00 pm - AR
VSG on 08/14/15
I was wondering did you have to go on a 6 month diet...I have my evaluation on Wednesday...he says something abt it but my PCP doesn't think I need one because I've been on diets that failed for more than 6 months...
lisalje
on 1/17/11 12:29 pm - OR
 I have Medicare, did not need to do a 6 month wait, I only had to do what the bariatric practice required. Took about 3 months for me to lose the 12 lbs. and I got to have surgery back in September. It would have been faster if I had been able to lose the weight more quickly! :)
paint2heal
on 1/17/11 1:37 pm - Belle, WV
I have medicare and I was only required to do 3 months.
Carla         
Join my 6 WEEK Summer time Weight Loss CHALLENGE!!! from July 11 thru August 22nd.  Join anytime!!!!
SW168/CW162/GW151

tananarose
on 1/17/11 3:58 pm - North Pole, AK
 I have Medicare and I did not have to do any type of diet before, I was told that they did not require it.  I had to only do what the practice required.  
Guernica Loser
on 1/17/11 5:19 pm
I wasn't required to do any "diet", but I did need a letter from my primary stating all "diets" I have tried over the years and it needed to included the necessity for surgery.  
You then need a psych eval, talk to a nutrionist and your surgeon has to be one from a hospital of excellence.  you will be required to stay in the hospital at least one night even with the band (which was actually very nice.  I thought I'd hate it but the place was great)! 

There is no preapproval letter to obtain either.  Your surgeon will know if it will be approved prior to surgery and they just bill medicare.   You have to pay 20% of the bill.  I think mine was about $1800 for the hospital, my doc, and a presurgery fee he charges all patients.  The hospital let me pay in payments.....I paid $100 a month and I could have done less, but I wanted it out of the way.  I think the hospital bill was about $1200, doc about $400. 
I've been on prednisone and chemo for over 7.5 years.  Gained over 160 pounds due to pred. Highest wt. 410. Surgery wt. 365. Current wt. 299
See ya,400s, 90s,80s,70s, 60s, 50s, 40s, 30s, 20s, 10s 300s!!!!  

Pamela B.
on 1/17/11 10:04 pm - AR
VSG on 08/14/15
Thanks Everyone because I didn't have no idea if I will or not...My evaluation is tomorrow...I Hope I pass it...Have no idea what he's going to ask me...I'm a little nervous for tomorrow...I can't wait until I put it all behind me and have the lapband already...I hope to have surgery soon...I get to have my consult soon also ...Looking forward to that...
NYISHA
on 1/17/11 11:33 pm - blue island, IL
I just had my lap band done on the 13th of Jan. and I did not have to go on a 6 months diet. I had to get a referral to see the lap band doctor, go to 2 simenars to get a better understanding of the lap band, psy. evaluation, and lose 10 lbs. That was it.
jomurphy1
on 1/18/11 9:09 am
Yes I have Medicare, was approved by all drs. I had to lose 20lbs before surgery, which took me about 2 months.  Good Luck
I'm miserable,been throwing, frothing, happens after every fill, since July,seeing
Dr. tomorrow,for unfill
I'm ready to give up, haven't been doing good since Oct. eating wrong foods.Is there a web site for older people 68 & soon to be 69? I feel like time is running out. need help don't know who to turn to

Laurena
on 1/18/11 9:32 am - Louisville, KY
Hi...I am on Medicare had  Lap-Band surgery 9 days ago.No.. Medicare does not require for any one to diet before you have surgery.Only my Dr. put me on a 2 week 1500 cal diet till surgery which was not bad at all.
Good luck  to you.

Most Active