Anybody need a hair graft after WLS

Lori R.
on 1/18/11 2:18 am - Manhattan, KS

I've always had thin hair, but after surgery my hair loss got really bad. I always get 80-100 grams of protein in me a day, plus I take a 5000 mg Biotin daily. I take bariatric multivitamins and eat a decent variety of food.

Anyways, I had gotten so self concious of my thin hairline that I went to a surgeon to see if I would be a candidate for hair transplant surgery (a lot of women don't qualify for it). Luckily, I did qualify and I had my graft surgery done last Wednesday. The surgery wasn't too bad and I'm only hurting a bit along the back suture line on my head.

I was just curious if anyone else has had the issue with hair loss even with proper nutrition....and if anyone has gone to the extremes that I have to correct the issue.

Thanks in advance!!

Lori        
Lisa O.
on 1/18/11 4:02 am - Snoqualmie, WA
My Nut just wrote a great article for Jean M's newsletter on hair loss.  She gave specific recommendations on which vitamins to take and diet.  If you're not already getting Jean M.'s newsletter, PM her to get on the list.  It comes out weekly and is awesome!

Best~
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Jean M.
on 1/18/11 8:47 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Lori,

I haven't heard of anyone needing a hair graft because of post-op hair loss. Maybe the combination of your already thin hair, the trauma of surgery, and nutritional changes worsened your situation?

The newsletter article about nutrition and hair loss that Lisa O. mentioned can be found here:
http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=aifyj4dab &v=001v2ezZPmZ_itBB6geC3vm2LnPnQa8cj7HxV6fU_xV-SpjwufwZmQKae bADS1AYR86doXL0fZM3pL5AIud4HKfnkfhmqbAQwfacR4FfCKA6tk%3D

To subscribe to the newsletter (free), click on the Subscribe to our Newsletter block on the lefthand side of the newsletter.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Most Active