Did you have to do a 6 mth diet thing before surgery...

Pamela B.
on 1/17/11 11:00 am - AR
VSG on 08/14/15
I'm tring to figure out if I have to have one or not how will I know ??? I have medicare do they require it ???
reneekennedy11
on 1/17/11 11:49 am - CA
Hi there,
I have blue cross and didnt have to have to. My surgery is on Friday and I only have to have a liquid diet two days before. Good luck
Kat1965
on 1/17/11 12:02 pm, edited 1/17/11 12:05 pm - Mesa, AZ
I have blue cross blue shield and my plan required it. You need to check with your insurance plan. As you can see by these two replies with the same company, the plan can be different. Employers agree to a plan with a company. I don't know anything about Medicare so can't answer to your specific coverage. I'd call the number on my health card if I were you and ask them if there is coverage for the Lapband and what their qualifiers are. My insurance had very specific co-morbidities and BMI, and then required the 6 month dr-supervised weightloss before approving it. And even then I only have 80% coverage. I have to cover 20% of the cost. But it's worth it.

My surgery date is Feb 18, 2011 for Lapband. Can hardly wait! (my signature is wrong -- my brain is still stuck in 2010.)
Kathy
Surgery date: 2/18/2011 for LapBand
Surgeon: Gowen Nirmul, MD (True Results)

BandMeUp
on 1/17/11 7:51 pm - PA
It depends on your insurance. I have Keystone Health Plan East, they required that I do a 3 month weight maintenance program
whitneyxo
on 1/19/11 2:42 am - MI
RNY on 05/29/18
It depends on your insurance company. I have medicaid healthplus and they require 12months of dieting before I can have surgery. Some companys only require 6 months. I called my insurance company and asked them the requirements for WLS and which ones they covered and they told me the info and also what was covered and what wasn't. They also send me a copy of the WLS guidlines for medicaid.
Most Active