repeated band slips

jlo669
on 1/17/11 3:06 am - bohemia, NY
I have had about 4 unfills to correct a slipped band.  I'm fine after then when they fill me up the same thing happens a couple of months later.  It cause me to gain weight back and I am so frustrated and then I read that I should be eating over 1000 calories a day.  Can someone maybe shed some light on this. I'm getting super annoyed with this band!!!! 
Kate -True Brit
on 1/17/11 3:13 am - UK

How long have you been banded? I can't help feeling that if your band has slipped several times, that it may be time to either get a new band or revise to another surgery. That is in no way meant to be a negative comment but it just sounds like it is not working for you.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/11 3:16 am - Minneapolis, MN
VSG on 10/23/12
Hi, Jlo!

I haven't had the experience of a slipped band (thankfully), but I can tell you what my clinic has said about this problem:

The first step is the unfill/refill process- which you are doing. If this doesn't correct the slip, my surgeon has said that they prefer to actually reband with a new band rather than continue with the unfill/fill cycle on the old band. Has your surgeon said anything about this?

I very much so love my band, although if I had your issue I would be undoubtedly annoyed. Personally, I don't think I would continue with these issues, and/or I don't think I would even revise to another band. Do you have insurance that covers revision surgery or anything of that nature?

How about when you're actually filled? You've said you've gained weight back- is that from the unfilled periods of time? Or because even with a fill/slip you are still eating too much?
jlo669
on 1/17/11 3:39 am - bohemia, NY
when I am filled it's to tight and when i tell you I have barely anything in the band I can't eat anything get really sick and then go trhough the process again.  when they unfill me I gain weight. They say the band is in a good spot and doesn't need a revision.  I have trouble eating a lot of things everything gets stuck it's better with no fill my band is very tricky.  I have had it since 2006 and I lost and gained between the same 20 lbs.  I'm by all means not what I was before surgery but I'm just annoyed to gain weight back and start to feel gross again blah!!! 
jlo669
on 1/17/11 3:41 am - bohemia, NY
Any calorie advice I eat 1000 a day but I see on here I should be eating more so I'm confused?
shellqueen
on 1/17/11 4:10 am - New Brighton, MN
I understant...I've had the same cycle but my issue was port problems. I had my 2nd port revision (and now third port)2.5 weeks ago. Its so hard when it doesn't work for you. HUGS K
steelerfan1
on 1/17/11 4:11 am
The only time I eat more then 1000 calories is the day I do hr long Zumba classes and I will hit around 1100 calories , the rest of the time I alway stay around 800-900 per day

50 grams of carbs or less doc said i can go up to 65
70-85 grams of protein
50 grams or less of fat per day

The day I exercise also I will increase my carbs

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

Michelle F.
on 1/17/11 5:09 am
I had repeated slips, the band went back into place when I was unfilled for a few weeks, then as I get a fill, it slips again and I needed to be unfilled.  I'm done with the fill/unfill roller coaster and I'm so done with the pain and the throwing up.  I'm revising to the sleeve.  The band helped me just about get to goal but without any fluid in my band I've gone up from a 10 to a 12 in the past 6 weeks. 

What difference does it make how many calories you should be eating if your band keeps slipping?  You either need to fix your band or revise to another surgery.  Only you and your surgeon can decide which choice is right for you...for me, I would never choose another band again.

Good luck!
WASaBubbleButt
on 1/17/11 5:19 am - Mexico
The problem is that if you slip once, it is verrrry easy to slip again. Same holds true for replacing the band, if you surgically reposition or replace the band you stand about a 70% chance of a slip again.

It's the scarring and adhesions that hold your band in place, not the sutures. Scarring never grows in the same place again with the same quality. Have you considered a revision? I sure wouldn't get another band.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
CRISTAN
on 1/17/11 7:55 am - olympia, WA
My situation is simulir..Although my Doc doesn't think is it a slipped band.......I get a good spot, then i get too tight, I try to hold off, I lose weight quicky, I am gettting in only water if I am lucky.  So I am forced to go pay for an unfill becasue I am getting in nothing........We wait a month, I regain from the unfill...go get filled again. and the cycle returns. Wake up one day too tight!

My Doc doesn't use floro, so no idea for sure, but he says it isn't a slip..it is stress.  Stress makes stomach acids that cause my stoma to swell shut. Makes sence to me.....

This always happens about my goal weight, I think my insides just are confused.....I also think that after a few unfills after 3 years so tught..that it is hard to eat like a bandser, then I overdo it, then my band gets angry and tight.....

Bottom line, even when I am miserable and tight.....the 120 pounds lost are still so worht it...Just don'****n to kill myself trying to lose more!

Lots o luck!

Most Active