Port replacement today... quick question about fill!?

adorkbl
on 1/16/11 5:05 pm
Can't sleep. Port replacement is today. Ugh. I have a quick question... can't find any literature about this online. I asked my surgeon if he would fill me during port replacement and he said just 1 or 2 cc's. I was really hoping he would fill me to 6.5cc's right away before he stitched me up. I want to avoid fills as much as possible... but he does not want to fill me that much at once. 

I have had my band 3 years. I don't understand his hesitation. He did agree to 4 cc's, so we could hopefully get to 6.5cc with one fill. I want to avoid a fill if I can!! UGH.

Does anyone know common practice with port replacement and immediate fills? Has anyone been filled back to their prior restriction level? I am so scared of fills, port damage, tubing punctures... I just really want to avoid fills at all costs. Figured since he would have a direct visual... port replacement was the best time to fill er up. 

If it matters. I had a complete unfill Dec 28th & my port replacement will be done under local anesthesia. 

Posted Image

01|17|08 lap band   08|12|08
gallbladder  
01|17|11 port replacement
            07|09|12 hiatal hernia repair & band repositioning

Kate -True Brit
on 1/16/11 6:36 pm - UK

My case was bit different as I had a leak in the tubing repaired - but I can't see why the fill bit should be different.

My doc filled me right back up during surgery. I had had 3.1 in my 4cc band. As the tubing was shortened during the op, he put a bit less in - 2.8cc. So basically, took me right back up to restiction.

Best wishes!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Jean M.
on 1/16/11 11:04 pm, edited 1/16/11 11:04 pm
Revision on 08/16/12

I had a port repair done at 3 yrs + 7 mos post-op and asked if my surgeon could do a fill at that time. The answer was no. My surgeon never does fills on an unconscious patient. She wants the patient to be awake and able to drink some water after the fill.

You say that your port replacement will be done under local anesthesia, so you'd be awake and able to drink water...but I have a strong suspicion that you'll also be given Versed, a sedative that relaxes you and ensures that you won't even remember the procedure (and any pain that it causes). Even though you won't be anesthetized, you won't be conscious enough to understand what's going on around you.

Your surgeon will not have a direct visual of your band at the time of your port replacement. He couldn't see it even if he was operating on your band rather than your port. The only way to visualize a band fill is via a barium swallow. An upper endoscopy would give your surgeon a view inside your esophagus and stomach, but that's a pretty invasive procedure .Otherwise, all the surgeon can see is the outside of your band and stomach.

I have a feeling that your surgeon may also feel that it's not safe to assume that the fill level that was OK for you before is going to be OK for you again. I thought I knew what my best fill level was, but when getting re-filled, I discovered (happily) that I didn't need as much fill as I had before to experience good restriction.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/11 11:09 pm - Miramar Beach, FL
 I had my port replace about 1.5 years out, because I had the old style port and it became visible after losing all my excess weight.  I had it replaced with a low profile port.  Before I went in, I asked whether I could get a fill at the same time, but was told no, that I should wait a month or two after surgery to determine whether one was needed.  I was really glad they made that decision, because the day after surgery, I was super tight, and could barely drink water, and struggled to get my pain meds down.  

Tami
kakkling
on 1/17/11 4:44 am - Tac, WA
I had my port replaced in May of 2010. I was given 4cc at that time (where I should have been before the leak). I have not had to have fill since, and have great restriction. It sounds like every doctor is different.

Good luck!
Kelly
adorkbl
on 1/17/11 11:17 am
Thanks everyone. He ended up giving me 4cc's. Said that was his comfort level, so I trust him. I can go in for a fill in a week.  

Posted Image

01|17|08 lap band   08|12|08
gallbladder  
01|17|11 port replacement
            07|09|12 hiatal hernia repair & band repositioning

Most Active