The best thing about the band is ...

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/11 1:15 am, edited 1/16/11 1:22 am - Miramar Beach, FL
I had my lap band placed 4.5 years ago, lost to goal within a year with minimal band issues. But, I did have to "diet"! I put that in quotes, because "diet" to me before the lap band meant joining some program or buying the newest diet fad book, and generally following someone else's advice about how to lose weight. With the band, I most definitely did change my diet from what I ate before being banded. That just makes common sense! You can't get different results by doing the same old thing. But, it was *my* diet. The simple fact is, to lose weight you have to eat fewer calories than you burn. Besides having the band to help with hunger and satiety, I also chose to eat fewer fats and processed foods, and more clean, whole foods. I also exercised my butt off! So, I could understand if someone said to me that it wasn't the band that got me to goal, but my dietary (and exercise) changes. AGREED! But the band helped.

Over the past year and a half I have to admit that my good intentions to continue to follow all those positive changes have slipped! I rarely exercise, and was wallowing again in my sugar/carb addiction. Not proud of it, and don't recommend it!

So here's the *best* part about the band. My weight is currently 13 pounds above my lowest weight, after a few weeks of getting back to band basics. *That's* why I got the band, and I am thrilled that it's doing what I'd hoped. Sure, getting the weight off was a challenge sometimes, but *keeping* it off makes it so worth the effort!

Tami

(ETA: Not bragging, not looking for kudos, just in a Rainbow and Puppy Dogs kinda mood! And, as Kate pointed out in her Pollyanna response to negativity on the board, YMMV!)
mstrip59
on 1/16/11 3:01 am
The best thing about my band is NO MORE GETTING OUT OF BED TO EAT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT! This was so bad for me that I had times with I left home in an unsafe car to get burgers at 3:00 am in the snow. No more! Food sits there at the top of my stomach if I eat after 10:00 pm and I am so uncomfortable it is not worth it.
(deactivated member)
on 1/16/11 3:04 am - Miramar Beach, FL
 LOL, I know what you mean!  I actually think of my band as sort of "antabuse" for late-night eating, because if I do it, I pay the price!

Tami
Jean M.
on 1/16/11 4:41 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Tami,

I love your rainbow and puppy dog avatar! And your rainbow and puppy dog post.

I re-gained 25 pounds while dealing with a band slip, flipped port, non-band medical issues, my mother's death, and a new job.  At times I felt like I didn't have a band at all. But as soon as I got a decent amount of fill back in my band, I started losing weight again. I didn't have to have a tearful come-to-Jesus meeting with myself about things like snacking and poor food choices, because my band just started doing its job again. It works even when I don't. Of course it works better when I work harder, but it still works!

Now I'm down to only 2 pounds away from my lowest post-op weight - gotta love my band for that!

Jean
My very own rainbow puppy, Teddy

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/11 5:20 am - Miramar Beach, FL
 Hi Jean!  Thanks for a wonderful post.  You are such a good example for the band community.  Even when complications arise, it doesn't mean the band is no good.  It seems like for some people, if a complication arises, or even if they think one *might* arise (because, well, you read it all over the OH boards!), then that gives them an excuse to give up and blame poor weight loss results on the band.  However, if you treat it as another bump in the road to overcome (and balance calories in vs. calories out), then you're likely to get the results you hope for!  

I was just reviewing my past diet history earlier this afternoon, and was amazed at just how many various diets I've been on in my life, and how much $$ I've spent on various diet books, programs, supplements, devices, etc.  But, every time, a short period of healthy weight would follow with some kind of major life "bump in the road" that would throw me off track (a move, childbirth, loss of job, relationship issues, etc), and the weight would come back on so incredibly fast!  Since the lap band, I've changed jobs twice, lost my mother, had two additional surgeries, had one major non-surgical health event, moved to a new state, and still managed to keep my weight within 20 lbs. of my lowest weight.  

As for the "rainbows and puppy dogs", LOL, I've been accused of "blowing rainbows and puppy dogs up people's skirts" for my positive view of the band.  Fact is, I'm just being as honest about my experience as some who have had a very poor band experience.  I know I'm probably on the far end of the lap band spectrum, and someone who suffered major complications or lost their band or never lost their excess weight falls on the opposite end of the spectrum.  Most fall somewhere in between, and are likely to be better off than they were without the band.  

Congrats to you Jean, and thank you for all you do for the lap band community!!

Tami
Jean M.
on 1/16/11 6:08 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Tami,

I think you need to write an article for my e-newsletter, Bandwagon on the Road. Choose the topic - I trust you. Rainbows and puppy dogs, sunsets and kittens, you name it.

Seriously, though...write to me at: [email protected]. I can't pay you cash for your article, but you'll get a hundred - 200 - 500 thank yous!

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

amyc
on 1/16/11 7:19 am - Jacksboro, TN
Revision on 02/28/12
I agree that's the best part about being banded.   My weight has been more stable the last 5.5 years than it ever has been.   And that's saying a lot considering I've had 2 babies in 2 years!
Great job!
Amy

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/11 8:18 am - Miramar Beach, FL
 Hi Amy.  That IS saying a lot.  I gained 60 lbs. with my first, and 70 with the second (pre-lap band, I'm now 51).  Hannah and Noah are lucky kids to have a healthier mommy who can run and play with them!  

Tami
grannymedic1
on 1/16/11 9:11 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
Amy, I have to say that you are an inspiration and we need to hear more from you. Thanks for posting.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

amyc
on 1/16/11 10:53 am - Jacksboro, TN
Revision on 02/28/12
Thanks Grannymedic!   Working full time and having two little ones doesn't leave much time for anything else.    I'll try to post more though!

Most Active