Anyone become lactose intolerant?

SueN1021
on 1/15/11 10:44 pm - Villa Park, IL
After my surgery, I had to go to a healthly lifestyles class run by a nurse at the hospital.  It was there that I heard for the first time that our body chemistry might change after surgery.  We may not be able to tolerate foods, like dairy the same as before.  Well, that was Nov. 2009 and I didn't notice any problems until the fall of 2010.  I started  having some stomach pains in Sept., saw my surgeon about it and he ordered a colonoscopy and an EGD, esophogus/stomach scope.  I had both of those procedures in Nov. and he found nothing except some ulcerated spots in my stomach that he treated with Nexium.  I took the Nex. for a month and didn't renew the prescrip.   The two main stomach pains I was having went away and i have been feeling really good.  In Jan. I had two breakfasts that consisted of dairy, yogurt and milk on cereal.  About 20 min after I was done eating I started getting gas type pains around my belly button.  The only relief I get from these pains is passing gas. 

To me, this sounds like a version of lactose intolerant, which I can live with. Anyone else have this happen?

Sue
  5cc's in 10cc band

mary101678
on 1/16/11 4:31 am - RI
VSG on 07/10/12
I was lactose intolerant before the surgery so I had to stock up on lots of soy products. The commercially prepared  soy yogurt and soy puddings are more calories than dairy, so you have to accommodate your daily intake for that, but it's so worth it.

Or you could use soy milk in the regular fat free sugar free pudding mix, but it will be a bit more runny.

I can't even use the 100% lactose free stuff without huge doses of the lactaid pills.... and then only in small quanities!

Good luck.. this too shall passs....

SueN1021
on 1/16/11 8:30 am - Villa Park, IL
I did buy some low fat/low cal soy milk.  I'm going to have to try other soy products.  I have a student that is allergic to dairy, so I've made the pudding with soy milk.  It does stay runny!

Sue
  5cc's in 10cc band

Hislady
on 1/16/11 5:03 am - Vancouver, WA
Yep never had problems with dairy until about a year out from surgery then out of nowhere blam! I just make sure now that I always have lactaid tablets with me at all times and that takes care of the problem for me. Also keep gas-x handy too for super quick relief if I forget the lactaid. I don't bother with the lactose free stuff just use my lactaid.
SueN1021
on 1/16/11 8:32 am - Villa Park, IL
I'm going to have to get some of those Lactaid pills you mentioned.  I haven't completely cut dairy from my diet, so I've been dealing with the stomach upset.  If it gets too bad, I have Tums at work and home that I've been using.  I think the Lactaid would work better, though.  thanks for the info!

Sue
  5cc's in 10cc band

mary101678
on 1/16/11 9:33 am - RI
VSG on 07/10/12
The key is to try things in  small quantities and see if it works. Lactaid products give me the same problems as regular dairy, so I try to limit those to small quantities. The pills don't always work for me either.

It's easy to forget and get caught off guard....

Best of luck!!
Mary

Most Active