Lap Band Warning!!

adorkbl
on 1/15/11 8:23 am
On January 15, 2011 at 4:14 PM Pacific Time, MARIA F. wrote:

That makes me so sad that you are still paying off the band that didn't really work for you. When there are band issues it is bad enough when insurance has paid for it.............but for those of us that pay all that money out of pocket for it not to work or just cause problems..........well that just kind of adds insult to injury! :-(
Yup Sucks. I got my medical records last week and started doing the math... and had to stop after I figured out the number of fills/unfills. I have had 20 fills & 5 unfills in 3 years. Ridiculous.

Not to mention 2 upper GI's, 2 CAT scans and 1 endoscopy... all because of the band. Luckily those we covered by insurance because they were considered emergency.

Posted Image

01|17|08 lap band   08|12|08
gallbladder  
01|17|11 port replacement
            07|09|12 hiatal hernia repair & band repositioning

MARIA F.
on 1/15/11 9:10 am - Athens, GA

Oh wow! Good thing u had insurance. That could have gotten EXTREMELY expensive!!!

One lady that PM'd me spent $20,000 on her band and then had an ADDITIONAL $50,000 in medical bills BESIDES that! So $70,000 in expensed.................AND HER BAND DIDN'T EVEN WORK! :-(

Made me want to cry!!!!!!!!!!

FormerlyFluffy.com

adorkbl
on 1/15/11 9:16 am

Oh my... I can't even imagine. :(

Posted Image

01|17|08 lap band   08|12|08
gallbladder  
01|17|11 port replacement
            07|09|12 hiatal hernia repair & band repositioning

MARIA F.
on 1/15/11 1:44 pm - Athens, GA

I know! It is just hearbreaking what can happen with the band!!! :-(

FormerlyFluffy.com

steelerfan1
on 1/15/11 9:47 am, edited 1/15/11 9:47 am
I'm just curious I dont understand why you guys have problems eating foods.  ?  Did you all keep your band just to tight what I mean is you really didn't  need to have it it as full as you did ? Maybe it was more head hunger then physical hunger u was feelign but you still had fills ?

I'm not trying to start a argument I'm actually very curious so that is why I'm asking lol.

Between the people I know and people at my support group meeting there isn't a single person I know that cant eat this or that.

Like me for example I can eat anything I want . I dont have no problems with anything . And everybody I know can eat anything they want . These are people from newbies like me to people that are 5 yrs out .

I just dont understand why you wouldn't be able to eat . the only thing I could think of is that your doc had you to tight and you actually didn't need that much fluid in your band and that is why you had so many problems eating.

I have been out several times with family and friends and getting stuck or having problems eating is the last thing on my mind.

Like I said I'M really not trying to start a argument I'm just curious as to why this happening .

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/11 11:00 am - Miramar Beach, FL
 I wondered about the same thing on that "questionnaire" thread over on the Main Board.  Over and over, I saw the former bandsters answer that they couldn't eat real foods, PB'd frequently, and had acid reflux.  But on the question, "Did you keep your band tight?", every single time they'd say, "No".  I had to wonder what on earth they defined as "too tight" then?  

Tami
Phyllis C.
on 1/15/11 11:17 am

I don't know if you have experienced it or not, but the band has a mind of it's own and responds to many factors.   One meal I could eat everything and anything.  The next meal, eating the same types of food, I couldn't swallow one bite without choking.

My band was never "tight", I just never had any kind of consistant restriction empty, first fill, second fill, or any one after that until I realized that it was a dysfunction contraption that was never going to work for me and was making me physically ill.

Phyllis
"Me agreeing with you doesn't preclude you from being a deviant."

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/11 11:34 am - Miramar Beach, FL
 I have no doubt that the band does not work for some people, for whatever reason, regardless of fill level.  And, unfortunately, there are people who suffer complications that end up requiring its removal, even though they were successful with it, and are sad to lose it.  The band is not for everyone, nor is the VSG, nor is the RNY, nor is the DS.  Hopefully the doctors will eventually find something that works for everyone all the time, and I hope I buy stock in it early on!

As for restriction, yes, I know it is variable, and that's why I truly don't believe in a "sweet spot", and wish that phrase would be removed from the lap band lexicon.  Too many people chase it, not realizing that it's just not that precise.  

Tami

Phyllis C.
on 1/15/11 11:08 am
There are many of us who can't understand why you are not having any problems.  You haven't done anything for that to happen and neither do the people who have problems.

It really is the luck of the draw.  No one really knows who will or will not do well until the get banded.  It really is as simple and as complected as that.

I wish you well.  So far you are doing great.  You are very fortunate.

Phyllis
"Me agreeing with you doesn't preclude you from being a deviant."

MARIA F.
on 1/15/11 2:14 pm - Athens, GA
On January 15, 2011 at 7:08 PM Pacific Time, Phyllis C. wrote:
There are many of us who can't understand why you are not having any problems.  You haven't done anything for that to happen and neither do the people who have problems.

It really is the luck of the draw.  No one really knows who will or will not do well until the get banded.  It really is as simple and as complected as that.

I wish you well.  So far you are doing great.  You are very fortunate.

Phyllis your right. It really is a crap shoot............with the odds against us with the band. :-(

FormerlyFluffy.com

Most Active