Update & Question

my5zoo
on 1/16/11 2:07 pm
Hello,
Well it is time for me to post an update about my progress (it has been 6 month post op) and I am proud to say that I am down 50 pounds!  I am a constant lurker on the site and a rare poster but I appreciate all of the guidance that I have received by my "lurking!"

That being said, I have a question too.  I am taking in about 60-70 grams of protein per day but am still loosing hair......(I have very thick hair) so I can afford to loose some but at the rate that I am going I am concerned that I may be bald in another 6 months. 

Has anyone else experienced this and can you think of any other things I can try besides adding more protein that may help?  I plan to speak with my doctor again about this too at my upcoming appointment.

Thanks in advance,
Kim

adorkbl
on 1/16/11 2:45 pm
Congrats on your success. 

As for the hair loss... I think a lot of ppl take biotin supplement to offset hair loss. 

Posted Image

01|17|08 lap band   08|12|08
gallbladder  
01|17|11 port replacement
            07|09|12 hiatal hernia repair & band repositioning

Kate -True Brit
on 1/16/11 4:46 pm - UK

Google telogen effluvium. Hair loss can be caused by nutritional deficit or fast weight loss but we bandsters don't really come into either of those categories.

The most likely cause is the anaesthetic. Typically, hair loss occurs about 3-4 months after a trauma such as anasthesia. The hair follicles are damaged at the time but it takes that length of time for the damaged hair to actually fall out.

The good news is that no-one ever goes bald (as far as I know!!), it is self limitng and by the time the old hair is falling out, new regrowth has already started.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Most Active