Documentary FAT HEAD

fairy_kissez
on 1/15/11 6:55 am - Albuquerque, NM
I just saw this documentary for the first time, very interesting and in my case very true. My body holds on to carbs for dear life and I am convinced that is what made me fat. For those who have seen this documentary what are your thoughts on the carb issue and how it relates to weight loss?

Link: http://www.hulu.com/watch/196879/fat-head

~Jen

lapband in 2008 at 298lbs , lowest weight was 183lbs , Band almost killed me and removed in 2011. No revison because to much damage for revision.

Anti Lap-band advocate!

Janice221
on 1/15/11 10:50 am - Rancho Cucamonga, CA
All I can say is "wow", this really hit home with me. I have PCOS and am insulin resistant, and know for a fact that carbs are what make me fat and feel sluggish and lazy. I have really noticed a difference eating more protein and vegetables. I don't really crave the carbs much now like I used to. I am now thinking of trying to stay at 100 gms of carbs or lower a day to see what happens. Thank you so much for sharing this documentary with us!

rainbow_runner
on 1/15/11 12:42 pm

Like millions of people, I am addicted to carbs.  Exactly the same way that an alcoholic is addicted to alcohol and a drug addict is addicted to drugs.  There is no difference.  None.  I can no more "eat one cookie" and retain my ability to maintain my weight and control my cravings than a recovering alcoholic can "have just one drink" and retain their hard-won sobriety.  Unless a carb addict is willing to give up refined, high-carb, high-glycemic foods FOR LIFE, they will be doomed to failure, period, no exceptions.  It simply boggles my mind that the "experts" understand that drugs and alcohol are addictive substances but when it comes to food, they think "moderation" is the key.  Clearly, the "experts" have never been fat a day in their life.

They make me cranky, those 'experts'.

harmony9975
on 1/15/11 11:18 pm
You are absolutely right on.  My doctor seems to understand this but the Nut are skinny young women that have never been fat and certainly don't understand that carbs/craving/food addiction are connected.  They say to use moderation if you cheat.  If we could use moderation with sugar and carbs we would never have needed surgery in the first place!
Spiritus
on 1/15/11 2:55 pm - Hawthorne, CA
Thanks for the link!

Wendybrum
on 1/16/11 7:01 am - Oceanside, NY
 I believe that because I do not eat rice, pasta and bread I have lost my weight. After seeing this I am not sure why I am on crestor!
Thanks for the link
Wendy

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/11 7:47 am - Miramar Beach, FL
 Excellent documentary, thanks for the link!  Some of it is not much different than what we've been hearing for a few years.  The low-carb/high protein diet has been around for a while in various forms with the Atkins Diet, South Beach Diet, The Zone, etc.

It does **** me off to see the background of the old food pyramid, food labeling and other situations where "chasing the money" was more important than following the facts to keep people healthy.  It was interesting when he noted that the diet fed to livestock to fatten them up is the same nutritional breakdown for the diet they fed us to slim down!  

The explanation of metabolic syndrome was interesting, and explains why some people honestly and truly may be restricting their diet yet not losing weight.  I know personally that when I eat refined, processed carbs I want more of them, and find less satisfaction from other, healthier foods.  So, best to be avoided, whether you have metabolic syndrome or not!

I'm still struggling with some of the concepts in the documentary.  He refutes the "calories in/calories out" idea, and even though he ate a high saturated fat diet, he lost weight and his cholesterol improved.  I'm not quite buying yet that saturated fats are OK.  Sure, they are better than partially-hydrogenated fats, but I'm still not going to cook my eggs in butter and pour heavy cream in my coffee!  

Again, thanks for the link!

Tami

Most Active