Not for the Faint of Heart: Snow Shoeing

mary101678
on 1/15/11 11:03 am - RI
VSG on 07/10/12
Went snow shoeing for an hour today. It was so exhausting because there was an icy crust covered by fluffy snow and every step crunched down on that crust and caused the snow shoes to fall under the crust.

It was twice as much work to pull each foot up to take the next step. No swooshing along like on packed powder.

I did try that at first and immediately fell flat on my face. My foot got caught under the crust, and when I went to swoosh along, I couldn't lift up that crust and went right down.
Hubby seemed to move along better than I did, but now he's totally exhausted and in bed at 9:30 PM.
It was a great workout and I bet I burned around 500 calories!

Later, went out to dinner and had a 4 oz filet mignon! (Half of a "twin filet") Yum!

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/11 11:14 am - Des Moines, IA
So do you just wear regular snow boots with the snow shoes?
It sounds like a great workout!
TigerDi
on 1/15/11 2:28 pm - Cloquet, MN
Hi Kristi,  I am a snowshoe lover.  Its what I do on my days off, weather providing.  You can wear any comfortable and warm boot cause there is a harness that straps your foot into the snowshoe.  It is so enjoyable just to get out in the woods and stomp around in the snow, see and learn about nature, enjoy the fresh air and get a fantastic workout that is pure enjoyment.  When snowshoeing I also suggest to use poles.  You get upper body workout plus they are great for balancing. Like a second set of arms.  Great for helping going up and down hills too.
 I would like to comment on your postings and your picture.  I like your positive frame of being.
You have good info and comments that you share.  Your picture of you and your pet is adorable.  Your dog's face is so relaxed and you can see the love he/she has for you, as you for him/her.  Your picture says your a very kind hearted, warm and caring person. Thank you for your postings.  I have learned lots from this board with everyones help. DiAnna 
TigerDi                
(deactivated member)
on 1/15/11 9:49 pm - Des Moines, IA
Thanks Dianna,
I will have to try the snowshoes.  A park near us offers rentals.  I might wait until it warms up just a bit, it's been in the low teens to single digits.  The high today is 15! 

Thank you for your kind comments.  I was offered so much help when I was first starting out, that I want to try and help others on this board.  And if you get me started on the subject of our Golden Retrievers.....  well we are blessed to have them in our family.  : )
The picture is of Jack, he is a sweetheart.  We have a tracking title on him and he loves to track.  It's an AKC titling event. sorta like Agility or Obedience etc.  And we have his older sissy, "Gracie" who has Obedience titles and she's also a Therapy dog.  We go to an Elementary school twice a week and the 1st grade students read to Gracie.  It's so much fun....  see if I get started on the subject of dogs I could go on and on....  I do have a wonderful hubby and two teens.  : )

Best wishes on your journey!
Kristi
mary101678
on 1/15/11 10:31 pm - RI
VSG on 07/10/12
Yes, definitley use poles! You get an upper body workout and stability. Just be careful of that crusty snow....
Good luck!!

Gerri W.
on 1/15/11 11:22 am - Farmington, NH
interesting.  I told my daughter that I'm sorta interested in learning to snowshoe.  Funny cause not anything I've ever been interested in.  Guess I'll wait till next year after I've lost a good amount of weight....

mary101678
on 1/15/11 10:28 pm - RI
VSG on 07/10/12
I think Cabela's has some sales going on now. If you buy them this season, you'll be ready to go next year!

Good luck!

Kate -True Brit
on 1/16/11 7:54 am - UK

I am going on holiday in Austria in a  few weeks and am going to try this for the first time ever! The hotel lends you free snowshoes and poles.

Really looking forward to it! Sounds like hard work!!  Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

1106ng
on 1/16/11 8:17 am - Greenville, MI
I like snow shoeing but cross country skiing and tubing are on my bucket list for this winter.
Most Active