Offensive Facebook Page about the Gastric Band

jennella505
on 1/15/11 8:38 am, edited 1/15/11 8:40 am - Alexandria, VA
RNY on 05/03/10 with
 I just found this page on facebook. This page really ****** me off!!!! URG!! Everyone can't lose weight easy. Surgery is not the easy way out. Although I didn't get a band, this still makes me mad! Please report this page as offensive and get it taken off facebook.

Link:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/hate-gastric-bands-will-the-la zy-just-exercise/287433266252  

Edited to fix link...

jennifer B.
on 1/15/11 9:10 am
I totally agree...and I reported it...Obesity is a disease just like diabetes and asthma and depression and so on. The band and any wls is not the easy way out. That page upset me because like the person posted I did eat lettuce and not loose weight. Then I would starve myself and over exercise and drop the weight but as soon as I started to eat food again the scale would go right back up. Although I do think that cognitive behavior therapy should go along with any wls. There are reasons that obese people are heavy that are both psychological and physiological. I feel like that facebook page is offensive to any heavier person. The creator just chose to stereotype and judge lapband patients. If we met the person which I would venture to guess is a male, and they did not know that we had bands and after getting to know them we told them would they be that shallow to say I hate you know because you got a gastric band placed to help you loose and MAINTAIN your weight? That is just very sad to me. People need to learn to be way more accepting of others that are different then them. Thanks for posting this link so that we can report it and hopefully get it taken off of facebook. And all those people that like that page I would like to see them and if they are all size 0 So be it but I bet some of them are not and end up having some sort of wls maybe even the BAND!!!
JENNIFER 5'7" Tall - 33 YEARS OLD - Ticker Includes 26 Pounds Lost Pre Op - 2.4cc in a 4cc lap band with a low profile port - 1st fill 6/19/2009 of .2cc - 2nd fill 7/24/2009 of  1.3cc  -  3rd fill 9/11/2009 of .3cc -  4th Fill 10/30/2009 of 1.8cc - only had .4cc when I went supspect leak - 11-9-2009 Upper Gi with fluroscopy - Do not have a leak and band looks great...I finally have restriction - I love my BAND!!!  5th Fill 1/11/2010 of .2cc  6th Fill 3/15/2010   of .3cc.  1st UNFILL of .6 cc or so on 4/19/2010  7th  Fill 7/26/2010 .2cc  Eighth Fill 8/30/2010 .2cc  Ninth Fill 10/25/2010 .1cc  Tenth Fill 12/20/2010  .1cc       

wendyb315
on 1/15/11 9:47 am
I just reported the page too.  It's horrible.  The poster obviously has no clue.  On the page he or she complained about their money going to pay for the surgery, don't they realize that many WLS patients pay 100% out of pocket?  For those who do have insurance, you have to jump through hoops for coverage and then it's not 100%.  Since the page referenced NHS paying for surgery, I'm guessing that the owner is from Canada or England.  Funny thing, I'm only nine months out from my surgery and I was figuring this out the other day.  By approximately 16 months from my surgery, my insurance company will have recouped all of the surgery expenses by not paying for the prescriptions I know longer take and the doctor visits I no longer have.  Not quite sure when I'll recoup my out of pocket expenses, all the savings is going towards new clothes LOL.

Anyway, I hope Facebook removes the page.  It's just hurtful and perpetuates the myth that overweight people are lazy.

Wendy
Lori O.
on 1/18/11 12:46 pm - Canada
I'm from Canada and a Self Pay ($16,000) our Government medical coverage does not cover weight loss surgery of any kind and the health insurance that we have through work or that we can purchase for Medical/Dental etc. coverage if the commpany you work for soes not provide it does not cover WLS.  Each Province is different but in Ontario the Government covers approx 1500 surgeries per year and you wait on a list for 1 - 3 years in the hopes that you will be selected and then the only surgery they will pay for is By Pass not Band.

OCCali_Girl
on 1/15/11 10:04 am - CA
I reported it as well, but I i did not even bother to read it, that kind of hate speech must be blocked.... there is only one person who favorited it... sooo clearly not very successful! LOL
Thanks for the heads up!

The band may not be perfect, but it will be perfect for me!

VEGAS IN JUNE GOAL!!        

crystal M.
on 1/15/11 10:42 am - Joliet, IL
I reported it and left a message.  I basically told them that sure there some people that are obese becaus ethey sit around and over eat and never exercise...but to make assumptions on a whole group of people based on a few bad apples is no different then thinking all black people are ********ers or all Muslims are terrorists.  I am tired of people acting like it's OK to make these horrible remarks about obese people.  They are bigots no better than racists!!!
(deactivated member)
on 1/15/11 10:54 am - Miramar Beach, FL
 So this person is pissed off because of the costs that the public pays for obesity surgery.  Doesn't he realize the costs of unchecked obesity are far greater??  Fat you can change.  Stupidity you live with.

Tami
fairy_kissez
on 1/15/11 11:35 am - Albuquerque, NM
Why is this page only aimed at only lap-bands? Insurances pay for all types of different surgeries. Makes me a little suspicious....just food for thought no pun intended.  

~Jen

lapband in 2008 at 298lbs , lowest weight was 183lbs , Band almost killed me and removed in 2011. No revison because to much damage for revision.

Anti Lap-band advocate!

Hislady
on 1/15/11 12:43 pm - Vancouver, WA
I followed some of the links and it leads to an acai berry diet, duh if that's all it took we'd all be string beans. What a doofus!
bridget1970
on 1/15/11 3:01 pm - Los Angeles, CA
VSG on 08/28/17
I reported it.  I hope more people do so that the page will be removed from facebook.  How infuriating it was to read that.  Those people are so ignorant.
Most Active