OH NO!! HELP!!!!

jaxmom
on 1/16/11 8:43 am
So, I am back on the wagon after a looong break and I forgot an important rule. WHAT O I DO NOW???? I was eating dinner and must not have chewed as well as I thought... got that chest pain and then the nasty slimes. Did not know what to do. Then, it came back up. What's the rule of thumb? Am I supposed to go to liquids for 24 hours now???? Anyone? 
Lap-Banded March 16, 2010
263.4/187/148(Start/current/Goal)

'once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right'

The New Mrs
on 1/16/11 8:50 am - Mooresville, NC
VSG on 02/09/12
My doc says liquids for a day, then mushies for a day.  Good luck.
Julie
Lap Band Surgery 12/19/2009, revised to Sleeve 2/9/2012

Next goal:  183
fairy_kissez
on 1/16/11 9:05 am - Albuquerque, NM
Yup 24 hours liquid and then 24 hrs of mushies than you can eat real food again. Chew chew chew and then chew some more. Hope you feel better soon.

~Jen

lapband in 2008 at 298lbs , lowest weight was 183lbs , Band almost killed me and removed in 2011. No revison because to much damage for revision.

Anti Lap-band advocate!

jaxmom
on 1/16/11 9:34 am
is yogurt ok or does that count as a mushie? my surgeon never had a mushie stage.... Is liquids just broth, jello, water? feel like a dope... how do i NOT know this? DUH

'once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right'

kathkeb
on 1/16/11 10:47 am
It sort of depends on how 'violently' it came back up ---- if it was painful and took a while of sliming -- then I go back to liquids/mushies for a day

Better to err on the side of caution -- and to be honest a little 'negative consequence' for me to help me remember to be more careful (sort of like a time-out for my eating behavior!!)
Kath

fairy_kissez
on 1/16/11 10:52 am - Albuquerque, NM
Liquids like protein shakes, milk, soy milk.....yogurt may be ok if it does not have any lumpy fruits in it and I would thin it out with some milk. You want your pouch to rest because eating now will make swelling worse.

~Jen

lapband in 2008 at 298lbs , lowest weight was 183lbs , Band almost killed me and removed in 2011. No revison because to much damage for revision.

Anti Lap-band advocate!

jaxmom
on 1/16/11 11:18 am
Thanks. The whole episode lasted maybe 5 minutes. I came home from the gym and was making dinner for my family and was so hungry that once their food was done, I took my leftover pc of fish from the fridge and made that my dinner. I think the fact that it was a firm pc of fish and that is was cold gave me a problem. It felt stuck and hurt and came right back up (not violent at all) and  I felt fine. I would have no problem doing liquids, except I am doing all low carbs and just got into the "induction phase" and do not want to shock my body when i take in any other carbs (like from protein shakes) since I am maxing out at 20 grams (seems to be the only way the scale moves for me- I am VERY carb sensitive and have PCOS). So, the water would be fine except I am doing a lot of cardio and don't know if I should do it while my body is on empty. Oh well, I'll figure it out. Thanks so much for the help....

paint2heal
on 1/16/11 12:03 pm - Belle, WV
I would think that yogurt will work just fine.  I usually go with 1 day of soft foods like yogurt, blenderized soup (like chicken), stuff like that usually worked just fine.  If you find that you have any discomfort from this food, then you may want to thin things out even more.  Good luck!
Carla         
Join my 6 WEEK Summer time Weight Loss CHALLENGE!!! from July 11 thru August 22nd.  Join anytime!!!!
SW168/CW162/GW151

Tiff tells all
on 1/16/11 1:24 pm - Ewa Beach, HI
RNY on 05/21/19
the whole idea behind the liquids/mushies is to just not irritate the stoma/esophagus any more than you already have.

My md doesn't have any rules to abide by. He just says to take it easy and be gentle with yourself. It sounds like you didn't do any heaving per say.  Just the standard slimming and then a blurp!  and it comes right up. Yes?   Yeah, yogurts are fine. So would pudding or anything  like that. You'll be perfect by morning.

Tiff

Current MD- Dr. Mikami, Honolulu Hawaii

Lapband 14cc AP Lg in 2008- slipped and removed 2016 -VSG July 21, 2016-dx Gerd

** RNY Revision 05/21/2019 **

"A few drops of hope can water and nourish our garden" - Jean M

Kate -True Brit
on 1/16/11 4:07 pm - UK

M instructions are like Tiff's. Just do what feels right! I have never had an epsiode as bad as some people post on here - my very worst is perhaps 5 mins of discomfort (not pain) and then up it comes and i am fine. So i don't ever feel i have irritated anything.

So I just take care for the rest of the day. Go for softer rather than harder foods. But I have never done liquids etc. Doc never told me to! But I think that if i were ever to have the sort of horrible episode some describe of real pain and retching for a long time, I would do thick liquids for a day.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Most Active