Pollyanna Experience

Stephanie M.
on 1/16/11 2:13 am
When my brother came for Christmas this year, we had the best visit we have had since 1978 when our dad died.  Greg was 15 at the time and it was horrific for him and our brother Matt who passed away in 2001 from complications of alcoholism.

Greg had lap-band surgery in April of 2009 weighing 325 lbs on his 6 foot frame.  He now weighs 217 and is still losing gradually.  His sleep apnea (the reason for our poor quality annual get together) is resolved and he is social, not so cranky and is enjoying his life.  He does about 20 triathalons every year (did them when he was fat too) and has run several marathons.  He is 48 years old (he and I are the bookends of our family) and feeling better than he has in many years. He works out daily, eats with awareness loves his lap-band.

Greg, my baby brother, was my inspiration for getting my band.  His success gave me the courage to risk failure again.  That was my biggest fear, failing again at reaching a healthier weight and being able to maintain.  I wasn't afraid of the surgery or the anesthesia....been there, done that many times.  I could not bear to fail myself one more time.

I no longer fear that I will fail.  I have a tool that helps me to stay on track and continue to lose, even if it is slowly.  I have a bit of a broken body with issues in my knees and back, so heavy exercise is not an option....but I can do more today than I could pre-op and I feel so much better, both emotionally and physically.

I know I will succeed by my own measure and I will not allow those who question my choice to deter me.  It is none of their business and I am on the path to a healthier, more productive life.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

mstrip59
on 1/16/11 2:56 am
Good for you!
Shaesnana
on 1/16/11 3:06 am - Davenport, FL
I'm really happy for you and your brother.  I am newly banded and so far so good.  I have not had any fills yet and so far I am not hungry at all and can go 4+ hrs not eating.
I can't say that my fear of failure is gone cause there's just so many folks, regardless which surgery, that gain some or all of their weight back.   So that will always be in the back of my mind.  I just pray that I will continue to do what I need to do to help my band work for me.  I too have some physical issues that limit my exercise but I am trying to get out each day and walk with my dog.  I'm just about at 30 min now.  I had to work up to it.  By the end of my walk I am hurting but in time I hope it will get better.

Thanks for your inspiring post.

bgrandmabear
on 1/16/11 3:07 am
Love to hear these stories of success I'm new to the band  20 oct 2010
Kate -True Brit
on 1/16/11 3:20 am - UK

Bless you for posting, Stephanie!   Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/11 3:27 am - Miramar Beach, FL
 You all ready *are* a success!    Of course, the journey goes on!  Wishing continued success to you and your brother.  Thanks for sharing!

Tami
mary101678
on 1/16/11 4:17 am - RI
VSG on 07/10/12
Good for you! Keep it up!!

Jean M.
on 1/16/11 4:27 am
Revision on 08/16/12
That's a great story, Stephanie. Thanks for sharing!

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

grannymedic1
on 1/16/11 4:52 am - Lake Odessa, MI
Revision on 08/21/12
Thank you Stephanie. Very thoughtful.

Highest weight: 212.8 Current weight 135 Lost 77.8 pounds

Stephanie M.
on 1/16/11 10:45 am
Let's keep the positive vibe going...thanks everyone!

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Most Active