i'm so depressed don't know what to do

carol468
on 1/14/11 10:47 pm

I had decided to have the lap band and i've been trying to eat a high protein diet, but i've gained 5lbs in 6 days!!! It seems like everything i do i fail.....Will the lap band work for me, now i'm begining to wonder if maybe i should have the bypass....  

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/11 11:00 pm - ~Somewhere in~, PA
 You know *I* know that the lap band was going to work for me, I tested myself and was honest with myself, I was 326 pounds when I first started my journey, I started walking around my block in my subdivision every morning, I was too heavy to exercise, I started out 30 minutes every morning and I ate only tuna and w/crackers and drank Slim Fast between meals, I did this for 30 days prior to my surgery date and I lost 20 pounds ON MY OWN prior to surgery and I knew that if I kept the walking up and kept with the proteins and water, that once I got banded it would only get easier and IT DID....I just kept the same regime up with my walking and eating proteins mostly and I averaged about 10 pounds per month during my weight loss with the band. I DID NOT WANT the bypass and malabsortion on my body long term so I was willing to take an extra mile around my block, if that is what it took to get me where I wanted to be with the band.

If you are NOT motivated and have a DIET mentality, then you may want to look into the bypass, but you CAN DO THIS...the band makes dieting EXTREMELY EASY...so it will be a lot easier once you get restriction, you will not feel like you are on a diet, trust me...good luck

TamaraL
on 1/14/11 11:02 pm
do your research on all of the surgeries.  There are lots of books on Amazon.com.  Talk to your surgeon on what surgery is best for you.  Ask the doctor questions.

The lap band restricts volume of food only.  So if you are a volume eater then the lap band is for you.  If you are a junk food eater then be aware that you can eat any foods you want with the band.  It is up to you to make the best food choices.  Also with the band it can take up to 6 months or longer to get to restriction so you have to be diligent about dieting. 

T

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/11 11:40 pm - Miramar Beach, FL
 A high protein diet in itself is not necessarily a great weight loss technique.  Protein foods can have a lot of calories.  And, a lot of high-pro diets also allow a lot of fats.  That kind of diet (like Atkins) can be effective because people are more likely to binge eat on carbs.  Cut out carbs, and calorie consumption is usually less.

The reason a lot of doctors recommend a high protein diet (whether you have wls or not) is because protein foods can keep you satisfied longer, so that appetite is dimmed.  Well, that's where the lap band helps, too.  It dims the appetite, and plus, you have to eat slower which allows your brain to get the message that you've eaten enough.

Best wishes,

Tami 
WASaBubbleButt
on 1/14/11 11:40 pm - Mexico
We don't gain weight from protein and fat, we gain from white carbs.

I don't suggest the band to anyone, it provides the slowest weight loss, the least weight loss, the highest regain, and the most mechanical problems of all surgery types. 25% lose their band in the first 5 years, another 25% need a 2nd surgery to fix a mechanical problem. So right out the OR door you stand a 50/50 chance of needing a 2nd surgery within 5 years.

Is this the surgery type for you?

Bypass and banding are not your only options, you can usually appeal for a safer and more effective surgery type.

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
carol468
on 1/14/11 11:53 pm

Thanks for the information and encouragement.  I'm excited about this journey, but I've just got to loose this weight!!!!  I don't even want to go to church tomorrow because I feel so huge, my face looks so fat... oh well thanks again for your help

WASaBubbleButt
on 1/15/11 12:02 am - Mexico

http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/2010/01/is-weight-loss-surgery-for-you.html

Previously Midwesterngirl

The band got me to goal, the sleeve will keep me there.

See  my blog for newbies: 
http://wasabubblebutt.blogspot.com/
jaxmom
on 1/15/11 12:35 am
Are you keeping track of everything you eat? I was in the same boat and wondering why I was losing and gaining the same 8 pounds over the past few months. I was not being true to my band but played a headgame with myself and said "well, i am eating high protein." I started tracking everything on fitday.com and realized I was over my daily calorie budget, too high in fat AND, on top of it, my carbs were too high to consider it a high protein, low-carb diet. Then it all made sense to me...........
I have been losing weight consistently since I started tracking everything (calories, protein, carbs, fat). I had to cut out my 7-11 coffee with the fat-free vanilla creamer b/c the carbs were too high (wahhhhh, i am still pouting over that). I had to cut out my low-fat treats that were low in fat because they were high in sugar. There is always a trade off........
If you want to do high protein (which is usually the way the doctors prefer... my surgeon always says dense protein first) then figure out the things you like. Fish and chicken and turkey are always your safest bet because they are all protein and most have no carbs. BE MINDFUL OF WHAT YOU PUT ON IT. Barbeque sauce cancels out the low carb... it has so much sugar.. same with ketchup and so many sauces. Most dry seasonings have nothing so season those babies up. Plan your meals out in advance using a tracker like fitday so you know what you are consuming and then prepare it all in advance. I cook my veggies that I put in my eggwhite omelets (which i eat 2X/day) all at once so i don't have to stress about cutting and cooking everytime i want to eat. I bought the tuna and salmon pouches just in case i am pressed for time. I have cut my carbs to less than 30 and made the 30 come mostly from veggies and upped my exercise. Everyone has different things that work for them, but the bottom line is: if you do not have a medical condition that makes it impossible for you to lose, then you WILL lose. You have to move your body and really get to know details about everything that goes in your mouth. When I truly paid attention and logged everything, I lost weight. When I guessed and averaged and rounded off and assumed, i either stayed the same or gained. for me, the band is what i need. I had a gastric bypass 10 years ago and the weight fell off. I wish I took that gift more seriously and kept to the rules, but I screwed it up by falling into old habits. The band gave me a 2nd chance and I love it BUT the poster who said you can eat anything with the band is correct!!! It will help you control your portions, but if you graze all day long on bad foods, you will not be successful and might want to consider another wls. It is not easy.... the band makes it easy WHEN your head is in the game.... the band does not do anything special for you if you don't respect your relationship and committment to it (lol, it's like being married, hehehe). Give it another try with 100% effort while tracking everything you eat and I bet you will be very happy with your results. If you can honestly say that you have restricted calories and increased activity to a point where you should be losing, but you are not, I would contact your doc and get some further testing done. I have PCOS and carbs make me gain weight like crazy. Even brown rice and beans made it hard for ME to lose. Wow, i am babbling... best of luck to you and let us know how you progress.
Lap-Banded March 16, 2010
263.4/187/148(Start/current/Goal)

'once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right'

SANDI H.
on 1/15/11 1:54 am - Ventura, CA
OK, so you are still trying to make a decision and are trying to understand how the band works, right? I have a quick idea for you to get to understand what it takes to be successful with a lap band. Download my free call -" The 10 lessons of successful lap band patients" It covers the basics and in the privacy and comfort of your own home, or while you are walking around the block (put it on your Ipod) you can listen to it and then come up with questions for your doctor, nutritionist and yourself. You may be able to see if and what you are doing right or wrong. You can find it atwww.bandedliving.com/members/programs/fileinfo.cfm    Please let me know if it helps or if you have any questions. Post them here, send me a PM or email me directly. Good luck!
Lynn C
on 1/15/11 6:23 am
OK lets look at this. There are 3500 calories in a pound - if you've gained 5 pounds in six days it means that you've consumed 17,500 calories more than your body is burning or an extra 2917 calories a day extra - does this sound right?

Chances are its fluid retention - are you drinking 64 oz or more water a day? Are you watching your sodium? Where are you in your "cycle"? All of these factors can skew short term weigh ins. Just stick with what your doing (Low carb, moderate fat and protein, calories between 1200-1500 depending on your activity level) and it will even out. 

I will second what Wasabubblebutt said - banding isn't as effective or safe as everyone is lead to believe - please do your research and do not discount other, more effective surgeries - ask questions about them on the boards (including the revision and failed surgery boards). You might find a better fit.

Good luck!

Lynn C ~
Banded 9/12/2005 ~ Revision to VSG on 9/7/2010 ~ Losing again with a Keto lifestyle

Most Active