So is this easy?

Kate -True Brit
on 1/14/11 4:40 pm - UK

No!

Remember how hard it was to diet pre-band? You started really well. The first week, the pounds dropped off, then it slowed but you felt sooooo good.

And that lasted for a month?  Two months? Perhaps even 6 months! Hey, even a year???

But then you got bored. You relaxed. You thought, well a few pounds are OK. Or you started to hate yourself - I am a great fat, weak, ugly pig, you thought. Why bother?

Well, news for you! The band does not solve this! We follow the same sort of path!

So why get banded? Well, here's why I did, and why I love my band.

At the beginning, it strengthened my determination - and a positive expectation is a great help!

It taught me to eat slowly and choose foods with care

It taught me that over-eating makes me feel ill

it showed me that large amounts of food are not necessary

it makes me stop eating if I eat too large a quantity ( it has given me the on/off switch I never had before)

But it only does these things if I

follow basic eating rules (when, what, how)

monitor (for me in a very general and loose way) what I eat

resist certain easy to eat foods!

So, no, not easy! But for me, my band has given me that added edge which I needed.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Lisaizme
on 1/14/11 6:17 pm - TX
OmGoodness.. I LOVED Pollyanna when I was a kid.  (love the subtitle "the glad book").  Off to see if it's free on kindle.. LOL
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

Stephanie M.
on 1/14/11 11:58 pm
Ditto to everything you said Kate...all I have to do is make sure I have the right kinds of foods available...other than that, I don't think about it and I don't beat the s*** out of myself mentally for not losing "fast enough"....progress is trending towards my goal weight, as long as the line is going down, I am happy.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Barbara B.
on 1/15/11 3:06 am - Indiana, PA
Hi Kate,
I am very new here and have been just browsing through and reading different comments and I just love yours.  Thank you.....  I started my new restricted life 3 months ago and am just meeting with my surgeon in February for the first time.   I know this not an easy road that I've chosen to follow, but with the comments like yours, I will get through this.

I have been a big girl all my life....and I don't intend to ever become skinny, but this is so exciting and emotional for me it's just crazy.  It will not happen over night, but within time, look out, Babs will have a waistline again!!!  haha

Talk with you soon!
Babs
                      Barb Blatt  ~  Surgery Date:  May 27, 2011  

karenp66
on 1/15/11 3:48 am - United Kingdom
Wise words as always Kate, I gained over the past few months after my mums death , but you always inspire me... so im back on track, following the simple rules we got at the start, so got my 1st 7lb off this week again, man I love my band!!!!
Jean M.
on 1/15/11 6:56 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Well, you already know that I'm a relentlessly positive Pollyanna.

I love the picture you posted. Did you notice that it says "The glad book" above the author's name?

I'm glad I had band surgery for a billion reasons. Losing weight with the band hasn't been easy, but in my experience, easy prizes are not valuable prizes. And like you, I feel that my band has given me the extra edge that I needed to chip away at excess weight and bad eating habits. It worked for me...

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Most Active