A great article re: restriction and how the band works.

shia98
on 11/9/10 4:50 am - Yonkers, NY
Thank you so much for this post/article as it brought home some things that I definitely have to work on. Restriction does help, but getting the mind in sync is the key. Our brain signals to let us know that we're full have been seared (maybe I should say my brain) and the band just help repair those signals. Like the article said....food doesn't stay in the pouch long so I have to train myself to only eat when I'm hungry!

Thanks again!

Cheryl N.
on 11/9/10 5:08 am - Des Moines, WA
How does lapband suppress appettite? 

I get hungry again about 2-3 hours later, so I eat.  Also whenever I see candy in candy bowl, or vending machines, it triggers hunger for me sometimes.   Altho I always eat protein first. 

I will be talking with  my surgeon next week.

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

Lisa O.
on 11/9/10 7:32 am - Snoqualmie, WA
You should get Jean's book.  She explains it much better that I can, but basically, having the band around the upper part of your stomach presses on a nerve that signals the hypothalamus gland in your brain that you're full.  That is the part of your brain that signals hunger.  Once your pouch is filled to a comfortable level your brain should register that you have given your body enough to feel full.

When you see candy or other foods you like and you "feel" hungry it's usually head hunger.  Another part of your brain is telling you that you want THAT, NOW!  Unless you're stomach is growling or you're due for a scheduled meal, chances are you are not really hungry.

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

cathiec
on 11/9/10 5:10 am - Toms River, NJ
A great post it is what my dr tells me everytime I go to but I do have the urge to eat sometimes when I am extremly stressed. I will keep this article to remenber. Is it alright to make a print so I can post it on my refrigerator Thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/11 10:57 am
I've read this somewhere else. And some people argued with the information saying it was absolutely wrong. I think it makes sense though. What I don't fully understand is if the food only stays in the pouch for a minute or so, how does it make you feel full for 3-4 hours? This is something I will be asking my dr. but if anyone has any insight or info I would be grateful! Thanks.
Born Lucky
on 3/9/11 1:47 pm
 Here's how I understand it... The vagus nerve lies along side the stomach.  It sends messages to the brain when you've eaten.  The band acts as a hunger suppressant in two ways.  First, the the band itself compresses the nerve, suppressing the appetite.  Second, when the upper pouch expands while eating, it signals the brain that food is on board.  As long as you eat solid foods, the upper pouch gets that little bit of expansion to send the message.  Now, on the flip side of that, if what you consume is simple carbs (sugars/starches), which tend to be "slider" foods, they go through the band without engaging the vagus nerve.  Blood sugar spikes, then soon plummets, resulting in craving for more food.  

Tami
 273/150/158
"All things are possible when you find and believe in your own personal strength."
Formerly "TamiFromAL"; 4cc band, unfilled
(deactivated member)
on 3/9/11 10:27 pm
Very cool. Thanks for the article and the explanation. It makes a lot of sense that the nerve would be stimulated simply by the presence of the band in a small way. I'm learning so much more about how digestion and appetite works than I ever wanted to know since starting this journey! But that's good. I'm one that has to know how something works before I can trust it. I know some people don't care as long as it works, but I do.
Thanks!
Tom C.
on 4/21/11 4:44 am - Mount Arlington, NJ
Mind if I steal .... errrr ... BORROW this ... it has some good points.
Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Stephanie M.
on 4/21/11 7:11 am
Thanks for reposting this Lisa!

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

DianeDiBAdams
on 11/9/10 12:51 pm - Everett, MA
 That explained a lot! Thanks for sharing it. 
Most Active