The Negatives of Dr. Mario Alberto Almanza-Reyes

Guernica Loser
on 6/1/10 2:46 pm

aww, I'm so sorry sweetie.  hugs to you

I've been on prednisone and chemo for over 7.5 years.  Gained over 160 pounds due to pred. Highest wt. 410. Surgery wt. 365. Current wt. 299
See ya,400s, 90s,80s,70s, 60s, 50s, 40s, 30s, 20s, 10s 300s!!!!  

KellyR222
on 6/1/10 10:42 pm
I'm sorry for everything you and your mom went through.  I know I'm going to sound like a jerk - but I'll say it anyway - that's why you don't go to a 3rd world country to have surgery done.  It's cheaper, but doesn't always cost less in the long run.

Kelleigh710
on 6/1/10 11:43 pm
Kelly,

One doctor (butcher) should not represent the healthcare of an entire country. I too am heading to Mexico in June, at a state of the art hospital, with an FACS accredited surgeon, one who is A PROCTOR for Allergan and has taught at UCLA.  I'm thrilled to pieces that yopu have the health insurance needed to get the surgery you want/need, but some of us self payers need to go a different route. Is Almanza's operation horrible? It most certainly is....but you have other doctors like Ariel Ortiz who is a best selling author and appeared on Oprah, Dr. Alberto Aceves who has one of the lowest complication rates among sleeve doctors, and Dr. Rumbault who himself is banded and considered one of the best band surgeons in the country. These men, including my doctor, all operate out of REAL hospitals as opposed to Almanza. Please do some research before you make a statement like this.
(deactivated member)
on 6/2/10 12:44 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
On June 2, 2010 at 6:43 AM Pacific Time, Kelleigh710 wrote:
Kelly,

One doctor (butcher) should not represent the healthcare of an entire country. I too am heading to Mexico in June, at a state of the art hospital, with an FACS accredited surgeon, one who is A PROCTOR for Allergan and has taught at UCLA.  I'm thrilled to pieces that yopu have the health insurance needed to get the surgery you want/need, but some of us self payers need to go a different route. Is Almanza's operation horrible? It most certainly is....but you have other doctors like Ariel Ortiz who is a best selling author and appeared on Oprah, Dr. Alberto Aceves who has one of the lowest complication rates among sleeve doctors, and Dr. Rumbault who himself is banded and considered one of the best band surgeons in the country. These men, including my doctor, all operate out of REAL hospitals as opposed to Almanza. Please do some research before you make a statement like this.
Kelly,
 Your reply is completely insensitive to this young lady.

There is a time and place to " Stick up for the surgeon/country of your choice. Now is not that time.

How would you feel if your daughter were sitting in a hospital worried and scared about her mother being on a vent in the ICU and some insensitive poster replied the way you did to her. I bet you wouldn't be too happy with that poster.
(deactivated member)
on 6/2/10 12:55 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
On June 1, 2010 at 1:01 PM Pacific Time, RollTideRoll wrote:
Around late August, early September of 2009, my momma and I went to get the gastric lapband surgery in Tijuana, Mexico. We didn't got there because of the low prices. My mom wanted me to get this surgery done so that I can live my teenage life without weight problems, and feel more comfortable doing so. I had just turned sixteen years old when I got this surgery, so there weren't many places around the United States that would do a weightloss surgery on a child. When we got to the Recovery House, the people working their were eating breakfast and everyone was just talking to eachother. When we went in for surgery, it didn't even look like a hospital, I was like... "is this it?" Anyways, we got it done and when I woke up, my mom and I were hurting pretty bad, but I guess that's normal. We went to the recovery house about an hour later. Our stay at the recovery house was pretty good, as well. When we were in pain, they gave us this "strong" tylenol. They sprayed our stomachs with a bottle of water (not to mention I found the exact bottles at Walmart last month for 97 cents). We were sent home with no medications. Life went on and when we realized it didn't work good, we went to a doctor close by to get a fill done. My mom's was pretty easy to get through. When they stuck the needle in my stomach, they couldn't find the port. They took multiple X-rays, and realized that it was tilted in my stomach. They finally got it. We went home, and a few weeks later, a hole started to form on my momma's stomach. This hole kept getting deeper and bigger. She finally set up to go back to Mexico to get the lapband removed and a gastric sleeve instead. While she was down there, the first day was used up to make sure nothing serious was going on. The next day she had the surgery, and she probably stayed there for two or more days. On the airplane ride back, she was in severe pain and had to be layed down on the ground. When she finally got home, I had to take her to the Emergency Room right away. The doctors did surgery on her right away and found 5 absces, pnemonia in her right lung, and a hole IN the actual stomach. She was in the hospital for 3 months and finally got to come home. She had to go to the hospital two more times after that, and on the second time, they kept her overnight and had to take her to the Intensive Care Unit. She is, now, in the ICU as I'm writing this and is on a venilator due to difficulty breathing, high temperatures, and nausea. We tried to get our money back, because we signed up for their insurance thing, but they denied it and said that we had to come ALLLLLL the way back to Mexico to get it fixed if we wanted our insurance thing. How could we make it back if my momma was so sick that she had to stay in the hospital for 3 months? This has been the worst experience of my whole life. Please pray for my momma.
I am so sorry for everything you and your mother have been through. Try to keep positive about this whole mess for you and your mother.
KellyR222
on 6/2/10 1:04 am
I do apologize for being insensitive.  I feel terribly for both RollTIde Roll and her mother.  I have heard about 1 too many people going to Mexico for surgery only to not receive the care they deserve.  I agree that there are good doctors and bad doctors in the country - but unfortunately, the country does not have the regulation over their physicians and health care organizations that we do.  Even with our laws and agencies in place to protect us - look how many bad doctors there are here.  I guess the point of my post is that I have met and heard about a large number of people who go to Mexico thinking that it is quicker and cheaper.  In fact, a friend of mine went (even though she had insurance that would cover her here) because she did not want to have the 6 months of doctor supervised diet that her insurance required and lived (thank god) to regret it.  People really have to do their research.

Wendy's Dream
Came true

on 6/2/10 1:26 am - Mesa, AZ
VSG on 08/09/22
Ah sweetie,
You and you momma will be in my thoughts and prayers.  Take care of yourself.
 Wendy  

1st fill 4cc,  2nd fill 1.5cc  3rd fill 1.5cc 4th fill .5   Total 7.5 cc  in my 11cc Realize Band.

Reached 1st goal weight 158 on 6/8/10, My Starting weight 235  
                                               Hit final goal of 145  10/25/10 

Current weight 143  
                                If you work the band the band will work for you.

Most Active