Did anyone else have to get over food issues related to waste/leftovers

(deactivated member)
on 1/3/09 1:11 pm - Burlington, KY
Charlotte,

This is me!!  I swear I have really had to practice pushing away the plate.  If I don't pre-measure my meals, I eat way too much.  It's like I really think it I don't finish the food, I will never be able to have it again.   Practice throwing food away.  I've had to.  I've not been as successful with my band as I think I could have.

Also, try this...when something isn't very good or you are full, STOP EATING IT.  This sounds like a no-brainer, but from one clean-plate member to another, do you finish your food, even if it is so-so?   I was with my very skinny sister this summer, and I took a bite of something.  She took a bite also, and said, "Oh, those aren't very good.  You can throw those away."   We had just bought these little treats at a store.  She wanted me to throw the whole package away!!   I did it.  Because I realized at that moment why she didn't have a weight problem like me. Ever since, I have been trying to leave food on my plate (even when I think I can take "one more bite.") and I've been practicing throwing food away.    You can do it!!  It's not as bad as you think!

~Sam
Charlotte P.
on 1/3/09 1:18 pm - Mansfield, TX
I must say I've noticed that since I've been banded even with my little plate of measured food, I've struggled with not finishing it all when I've felt full.  It was a bit easier to let it go because it was such a tiny bit of food.  When it was meat, I gave it to my dog and that was easier.

Clearly my way of thinking is still broken!

Charlotte P.
on 1/3/09 1:18 pm - Mansfield, TX
TiniTummi
on 1/3/09 3:18 pm - Richmond, VA
Hi....I don't like the idea of buying food at restaurants and having to leave half of it.  I now ask for the doggie box.  Anyhow, I am using one of those freezer sucker things.  It sucks the air out of the bag, freeze it, and then it's almost like when you first ordered it.  just an idea to help with saving food.

Good Luck

Molly
prek-3
on 1/3/09 8:03 pm - Hollywood, FL
Sounds just like me!!!!! When I go out with my family, I'm being the food PUSHER! Trying to get everyone else to clean my plate!In the beginning my husband would comply, but now he tells me, "no I like what I ordered". 

My husband and young adult children kow when they are full and push away the remains.I sit in awe of them that they can do this! I see a Phychologist, and we have discussed this very thing, and I am working through it. Now I try to think an act like a skinny.  

I have asked immediately after ordering my food that "the other chicken breast", be put into a container. BUT sometimes my band Does NOT LIKE reheated meat! It's the luck of the draw!!!

My husband also doesn't do LEFT OVERS!!!!! Lately I have been able toget them to eat the leftovers due to the economy, but, not as often as I 'd like. I have resorted to giving my leftovers to my DOGS!!!!! MY DOGS SOOOOOO LOVE ME!!!! Now I will be saving on dog food (not that they eat so much, as one is a lil yorkie!!!)LOL!!!!

Here's an idea! When you are at home or at a resturant, ask or use a smaller plate. Like the size of an appeitizer plate (those are smaller than even the 9 in plates.). I think we are very VISUAL people when it comes to food. I can still "clean my plate", and feel satisfied about it.

Or  if he doesn't mind sharing his plate with you when you go out, do that.

Some people have suggested that you douse the leftovers with salt. I haven't dared to try that one.

***You may want to see a Phycologist as you will be going through more changes when your daughter goes away to school. I had a horrible time when my son went away to the Navy 4 years ago! Now he's out of the Navy and at home for about 6 or 8 months (at local Community college) before he goes away to school.    Adjustments with him being home too!!!! Life happens.

Good luck,
prek3

Nov 10,2009 I reached GOALL BYE  BYE  130 POUNDS! It wasn't about the FOOD, it was about what was eating at YOU!  Time for a Head adjustment!    **July 2011 Plastic Surgery Lower Body Lift

Exercise    is not a LUXURY!

Exercise  is a  NECESSITY

gwen41539
on 1/3/09 8:35 pm - kimper, KY
I have the same problem we always have lett overs i have a larger family 3 kiddo and dh they all want something different for dinner as well so i end up with a lot of left overs....but my thing is when we go out to eat with the kids and they leave unfinshed food i want to down that its hard... i pass it to my dh who never gains a ounce no matter what he eats lol he doesnt mind tossing it if he cant hold it ...me on the other hand hates to see any good food go to waste ..BUT i have been watching it go quietly and sadly to the trash lol but im better for it im sure.. hang in there and try not to fret to much

HW 381/ pre op 345 /SW 312 Vsg 7/13/15 /CW 288

M1-24 lbs

shelliwi
on 1/4/09 1:41 am - Sheldon, WI
I am in the same boat as you are. I HATE to see food go to waste. After all, I can see the faces of all those starving children in Africa. My problem really got out of hand when I had kids. I couldn't resist those last few bites on each of their plates. When I got serious about weight loss a few years ago, I started giving the scraps to my dog. Now I have a very overweight Basset Hound on my hands. We are now raising chickens for the eggs and I have found what great little garbage disposals these creatures can be. They eat everything! I feel good about this because nothing goes to waste and I must be saving on some of the cost of chicken food.
Good luck to you. It is a tough one to get over.
Shelli

High-245 /Lapband-229/Sleeve-175/Current-173/Goal-150   band 7-14-09 revision to sleeve 9-20-11  Shelli from WI                 

Most Active