NEED HELP!!!

JAMES1244
on 11/25/08 1:51 am
MY WIFE IS THINKING ABOUT HAVING WLS.HER DOCTOR AND FAMILY IS TELLING HER TO HAVE THE LAPBAND BUT SHE IS SCARED OF IT.MY WIFE IS NOT THAT BIG TO ME TO HAVE THE RNY.SHE HAS NO SICKNESS AND PER THE DOCTOR IS IN GOOD SHAPE.I CONSIDER MY WIFE TO BE THICK NOT FAT AT ALL AND EVERYBODY THAT SEES HER TELL HER THE SAME THING.I GUESS MY QUESTION IS.WHAT MAKES LAPBAND BETTER THEN THE RNY.TRYING TO CONVINCE HER.HELP ME OUT PLEASE.
lyndee
on 11/25/08 2:01 am, edited 11/25/08 2:01 am
I am a cardiac patient and lap-band was the only option my cardiologist would approve because of the invasivness of the other surgeries and because of malabsoption.

I like the fact that the band is reversible, all tho once it is placed it is with the understanding it is suppose to be there for good.

It is a very personal decision for everyone.

You and your wife should attend a seminar, they explain all of the surgeries and you can ask questions to a surgeon who can address all of your concerns.

The opinions expressed by Lyndee are for entertainment purposes only. If I have offended anyone, I apologize. This includes, but is not limited to, the moderators, members of PETA, all unions, liberals, conservatives, SAHMs, WAHMs, gays, whites, blacks, mexicans, asians, jews, christians, agnostics, atheists, buddhists and all other religions, the mentally challenged, witches, bitches, the truly stupid and anyone or anything else I may have forgotten. Thank you!

ButterflyAna
on 11/25/08 2:02 am - Gilbert, AZ
VSG on 03/04/13
Well w/lapband you do not have your intestines rerouted. You do not have a lot of complications, it is the safest wls out there. It is a slower road then RYN/GB because there is no malabsorbation. IMHO the slower weight loss gives your mind time to figure out that food is not your friend, lover, helper it is there to give you nurishment and thats it. We are in control not the our food. Most people go back to work quickly. Whereas RYN/GB have to stay home 6 wks for recovery.

HW 360 Lap Band 4-15-08 (322)  Revision to Realize Band 11-15-11(249)  Revision to Sleeve 3-4-13 (249) CW 189

grammylew
on 11/25/08 2:11 am - Jacksonville, NC

I'm not sure lap band is "better".  It was the right thing for me.  I did NOT want: 1 - malabsorption and lifetime vitamins 2 - having my guts cut up and rearranged 3 - something that was not reversible or adjustable 4 - super fast weight loss and hair loss 4 - higher complication rate 5 - dumping

I DID want:  1 - slow weight loss so my saggy skin has  a chance to  catch up 2 - something adjustable so I can continue to lose for many years 3 - lower complication rate 4 - no dumping 5 - my guts intact, so reversible if I want it

I have lost 93 pounds and still losing slowly.  That is 75% of my desired weight loss (according to insurance charts), it is 93% of what I desired to lose.

Have her do lots of research, talk to her doctor and decide what SHE feels is right for her.  If she has no sickness and is in good shape, her insurance may not pay for ANY WLS.  They will consider her BMI, as well.

Grammylew in Jax

Kate -True Brit
on 11/25/08 3:32 am - UK
All WLS involves serious surgery and none of them is "the best". It might be a good idea for your wife to come on here and spend time on all the WLS forums to get an idea of the benefits and problems of the diffferent surgeries.

This is why I chose the band....

-no re-routing or cutting of intestines etc.
-no malabsorption issues
-the shortest surgery and recovery time
-adjustability of the band
-I am still in control of my body
-no time limit for losing
-can be reversed by removing the band.
-the fact that now, well below goal, i can eat anything I like, just small quantities, without gaining.

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Jean M.
on 11/25/08 5:28 am
Revision on 08/16/12
You're so sweet to say your wife is thick, not fat.  I think my husband would have said the same thing about me.  But keep in mind that your wife's self-esteem is at issue here, to say nothing of her future health (she may not have obesity-related health problems now, but a lifetime of obesity can really take a toll on you).

What makes the lap-band "better" than RNY is a combination of factors that is unique to each patient.  For me, the lap-band was the better choice because:

1.  I was afraid of malabsorption and potential health risks
2.  lap-band has a lower surgical risk
3.  the band is adjustable according to my weight loss needs
4.  it's much easier to reverse lap-band surgery (if needed) than RNY
5.  I was a volume eater pre-op, so a purely restrictive procedure like the band was best for me (if your wife is a snacker or grazer, she might do better with a malabsorption feature)

Are you saying that your wife is scared of the lap-band but not scared of RNY?  I wonder why?  Is she afraid of having fills because she doesn't like needles?  If so, all I can say is none of my fills has hurt.  I don't even look at the needle and hardly feel it when it goes in.  Is she afraid of having an implanted medical device in her body?  If so, would she be afraid of having a hip replacement or a heart pace-maker?

I think the best thing to do (as another poster mentioned) is for both of you to attend a bariatric surgeon's educational seminar where you will get accurate information and be able to ask questions.  You could also attend a weight loss surgery support group meeting, where you can hear about other patients' experiences and ask them questions.

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Cindy W.
on 11/25/08 6:19 am - Madison, CT
One final thought...if you look closely at the clinical studies that compare Lap Band and RNY, the weight loss results are completely comparable at 5 years out from surgery.  So...same results, with far fewer issues and complications.
Good luck to both you and your wife!
~~Cindy
258 Start/ 195 current / 165 goal
5.5cc in 10cc band (as of 6-1-09)
Most Active