My Secret - Anyone Nudge an upper pouch cleaning before bed?

Zee Starrlite
on 10/17/07 3:27 am
Yup, it was directed toward you.  If I were mistaken  and you were not being sarcastic, I apologize.  Otherwise I do stand on my reply.  This band journey is not simple.

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

jewels_is_melting
on 10/17/07 4:41 am - Littleton, CO
I'm not banded yet - but was curious about this myself.  I think it is more than a valid question!!  I know that you are newly banded - and that was a good question! 
Phyllis C.
on 10/17/07 2:44 am

Leila, do you sip water after dinner until bedtime?  Are you on any meds for the reflux?

It doesn't sound like a pleasant thing to have to do.  Everyone is different and if you and your Dr. agree that this is ok, don't worry what anyone here says.  We each have to reap the rewards and consequenses of anything we do in life.

Me personally, I think people overreact about the dangers of a pb.  Most of them are not putting pressure on anything, just releiving pressure.  I think it is much better out than in.  I try to minimize it happening but when it does, I don't fight it.  I certainly never do it on purpose because I have eaten too much or want to eat more. 

I know that reflux is horrible and I finally figured out that I can not eat too much chocolate, poor me.

Phyllis
"Me agreeing with you doesn't preclude you from being a deviant."

Zee Starrlite
on 10/17/07 3:10 am
Phyllis, Personally I think some/most people are full of ****  Most wouldn't be here with you and I if they didn't have some "issues". I don't have reflux anymore and I think it is because I do this.  I swear it is no more than a simple, gentle cough which usually happens when I brush my tongue anyway.  My food is long before digested and sometimes a thicker liquid will come up.   I have too stopped many things that would trigger reflux - extra coffees, spicy foods.  I've changed so many things.  If I eat too late, I'll take a walk etc.  I too do sip water (maybe it's the water that sometimes comes up) So too this little act may be just reassurance. I really don't care what people say here though I will listen - take tips and defend myself when need be.  When I had "issues" with my band, this was the one place that I could not come.  It seemed like if it were not perfect, it wasn't the band.  Now some of the folks that I started with are having the serious issues and I'm starting out new. If what I am doing is infact harming me (I will talk to my doc who damned sure know this Lap Band is not perfect - I love it though). I'll take it.  Most of my Banded time I wasn't doing this and I had more problems then. How I'd like to be a fly on many of these walls ;-) Good Day, Leila

Phyllis C.
on 10/17/07 3:40 am
Leila, I don't think what you are doing is going to hurt you.  I was just wondering if there was some underlying cause that could be worked out.  God knows there are many many unpleasant things to deal with with this band.  I just had to excuse myself twice from a meeting because my breakfast was not cooperating.  I felt like I was going to bust loose all over the conference table.  This was an actual stuck event and not just a little pb.  I confess to sipping on some diet coke to help dislodge whatever is stuck, it works and I am sure some people would condem me to hell for that.  Plus I drink diet coke over ice sometimes You are probably just very sensitive to anything being in your tummy when you lie down.  I have a very sensitive esophogus that I still have not learned to deal with.  Plus my band is filled beyond the recommended 4ccs and I am not tight.  Just a little stupid when it come to taking small bites and chewing the hell out of everything, which I hate to do by the way. Take care

Phyllis
"Me agreeing with you doesn't preclude you from being a deviant."

hotzzzzzing
on 10/17/07 2:56 am - CA
Leila, I wanted to add that I think you're awfully brave for posting this question!!   You had to know you were going to have to duck from the bullets on this one!! LOL.......  Try not to get too frustrated with the replies you receive.   I'm aware you were just looking for anyone else who does this.  Not for a bunch of negative feedback.   Most people here are just trying to help you stay healthy and safe. Good luck! Hugs

(deactivated member)
on 10/17/07 2:57 am - Miramar Beach, FL
I'm not as concerned about the fact that you bring it back up as I am with questioning why it's still sitting there in the first place.  The only reasons why I can imagine food sitting in the pouch that long is if you are too tight or have a stretched pouch.  Either way, it's not good.   Tami
Zee Starrlite
on 10/17/07 3:37 am
There is no food in my pouch when I do this.  Sometimes a thicker liquid.  I am not tight.  I do not have reflux anymore and I thought it was because of doing this.  I have learned so many preventive things which I feel not to keep listing on this post over and over again. I will talk to my doc. Best, Leila

Chelle B.
on 10/17/07 4:02 am
It is interesting - I was wondering about a hernia in the pouch - because otherwise I would think that any residue could be flushed down with water.
Be careful, or you may find yourself in my novel...

Photobucket
Zee Starrlite
on 10/17/07 5:45 am
Thanks, but a hernia has been ruled out.  I think I have allergies.  Way too much build up.

Most Active