Clear Liquid Diet and Dizzy and Weak

Debbie R.
on 7/8/07 10:09 am, edited 7/8/07 10:10 am - Las Cruces, NM
I am 4 days post op. I started a clear liquid diet July 3rd and still have another week on it. How can i possibly continue. I have been drinking water, eating popsicles,jello and broth. I am feeling weak and dizzy. What can i drink to make me feel better? Thanks, Debbie
Suzanne M.
on 7/8/07 10:40 am - TX

I liked to drink some hot tea with real sugar in it.  All the liquids and so little carb can make you a bit woozy.    My surgeon allowed me to have a protein shake in the morning. He believes it helps with the healing processs.  I know that helped with the sick tired feeling .   You might want to see if your doc will allow you to have a shake.    Good luck Debbie. 

Cassandra W.
on 7/8/07 10:41 am - West, TX
Send someone to get some Isopure for you.  It is considered a clear liquid and if you can stand the taste they are 40 grams of protein for each bottle.

Becca63
on 7/8/07 10:47 am - New Braunfels, TX
Are you a diabetic or on a diuretic for blood pressure? Sorry it is the nurse in me. Becca

Becca from South Texas.

Debbie R.
on 7/8/07 11:04 am - Las Cruces, NM
borderline diabetic, not on meds
beccakevinmom
on 7/8/07 11:22 am - wallingford, CT
I just got through my two weeks on liquids - but they did allow me 3 2oz protein shakes - i felt dizzy too - but believe me it will pass - just make sure you are drinking lots and lotsl of water  - it REALLY does help - I fortunately was able to nap 4-5 hours a day for the whole week after surgery(with a 2 and 4 year old it is a really big deal!!!)  so I think that helped too - Good luck just remember it is temporary!  Deirdre
tammy1968
on 7/8/07 11:47 am - Freeland, MI
i started having protein drinks about day 3, can you have those? i do remember feeling lightheaded and shaky. It does pass, I know its hard tho. try and hang in there it does get better. hope that helps & good luck
ConnieS
on 7/8/07 12:14 pm - Northern, AZ
Are you positive you're supposed to be on only clear liquids at this point?  If so, I'd be asking my doctor WHY?  (They make sense for only about 24 hours or so after surgery,  IMHO). It is perfectly reasonable to be dizzy and weak; there is virtually no nutrition whatsoever in clear liquids (mostly just a little sugar).  I would think you need to move on to more substantial liquids (AT LEAST protein shakes) as soon as possible; you need nutrition to heal properly and you ain't gonna get it from clear liquid.
ChinahSea
on 7/8/07 12:26 pm - Lakewood, WA
Are you sure it's "clear" liquids and not "full" liquids you are supposed to be on long? Anyway - how about visiting a nutrition store and getting some clear protein drinks? You need some protein! Also, how are you doing with your multi vitamins??  I got light headed too, till I remembered I needed some protein - it sure made a big difference!! This too, shall pass!! Before you know it, you will be eating again.. I promise!!

Kelley K.
on 7/8/07 12:47 pm - Las Vegas, NV
I agree with the other comments.  I would give your Dr. a call because I was told have clear liquids for a full 24 hours following surgery and then move to "full" liquids.  Full liquids can be anything that can be sipped through a straw but don't use a straw. For breakfast I usually have a slimfast, for lunch I make a protein shake, and usually soup for dinner which can be any kinda soup as long as you blend it. I hope you can move on to full liquids.  No point in feeling weak! Take care -Kelley

Most Active